mIRC connectivity issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mIRC connectivity issues

I seem to be getting disconnect every 5 minutes from any IRC server i connect to. I just get a host disconnect error and i'm not sure why. Is it my internet connection? I'm on a d-link router how would i be able to check a log for errors?

Originally posted by atticus88 View Post
    I seem to be getting disconnect every 5 minutes from any IRC server i connect to. I just get a host disconnect error and i'm not sure why. Is it my internet connection? I'm on a d-link router how would i be able to check a log for errors?
    Likely that cause by Connection . Telnet with router and then see that in system logs

Comment

If it's exactly 5 minutes that would point to some sort of timeout issue in the settings of your router. You can look in the settings and look for a connection timeout setting, or look around for some of the guides that relate to the same issue in FTP, it's far more common in FTP.
      sigpic +++"Torrent Smarter."+++

For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
      -Shakespeare (Hamlet 2,2)

Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done.
      -Linus Torvalds

Comment

not sure i understand either of those ;/

Comment

What he's telling to do is check the logs from your router. The thing you connect your wifi to? That broadcasts the wifi signal? He wants you to use TelNet (it's a Windows based program to open a command line on a remote machine) and read the activity logs at the time you get disconnected. It should give a reason as to why you were disconnected. What I'm telling you is that a lot of newer routers have a feature built in where if you open a connection, and keep it open for greater than X amount of minutes without transferring any new data over it, the router closes it for safety and to save some bandwidth. Most routers let you change X. FTP = File Transfer Protocol, it is what many people use to get files off of their seedbox (you may have used clients such as FileZilla or CuteFTP to do this). This timeout issue is common with FTP, so what I was saying is google "FTP timeout issue" and look at those guides for routers. That's about all I can tell you, I don't know what router you have, and even if you told me, I won't know what that router's menu looks like, so I can't give you more exact instructions than turn up or off the timeout feature, so I would look for a guide to turn the timeout off or up on google, and there are many guides like that, but most are related to FTP, so I told you to add FTP to your search to help cut down on your results. Make a little more sense now, hopefully? :)

-Linus Torvalds

Comment

What client are you using to connect?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHat View Post
              What he's telling to do is check the logs from your router. The thing you connect your wifi to? That broadcasts the wifi signal? He wants you to use TelNet (it's a Windows based program to open a command line on a remote machine) and read the activity logs at the time you get disconnected. It should give a reason as to why you were disconnected. What I'm telling you is that a lot of newer routers have a feature built in where if you open a connection, and keep it open for greater than X amount of minutes without transferring any new data over it, the router closes it for safety and to save some bandwidth. Most routers let you change X. FTP = File Transfer Protocol, it is what many people use to get files off of their seedbox (you may have used clients such as FileZilla or CuteFTP to do this). This timeout issue is common with FTP, so what I was saying is google "FTP timeout issue" and look at those guides for routers. That's about all I can tell you, I don't know what router you have, and even if you told me, I won't know what that router's menu looks like, so I can't give you more exact instructions than turn up or off the timeout feature, so I would look for a guide to turn the timeout off or up on google, and there are many guides like that, but most are related to FTP, so I told you to add FTP to your search to help cut down on your results. Make a little more sense now, hopefully? :)
              While i felt a great deal of sarcasm in that post, and a great deal of stupidity, that was very helpful so thanks very much!

I have tried checking the logs of the router but i can't bloody find them, i've logged into the router but can't find the section which lets me look at the logs. I will download Telnet and have a look at what it says and of course use google :)

Viral, mIRC32

Comment

Sorry! It did sound a little sarcastic on review, it wasnt meant to be. I was just trying to convey the point that no one can give you a step by step guide to do it on your particular router and such :)

Btw, if you're running Windows telnet is built in, its just disabled by default sinceXP. You can enable it or you can download Putty, which will do SSH and Telnet. (SSH being the Linux version of telnet). I'll edit with a guide on enabling telnet in a couple minutes, on my phone atm

**Edit: Enabling Telnet

I would use Putty, leaving Telnet enabled is a bad idea, it's a big security loophole
                Last edited by BlackHat; November 19, 2012, 09:34 AM. Reason: Added Telnet link and warning about security hole in telnet

-Linus Torvalds

Comment

Just a little correction, Telnet is available on many platforms, it's not a Windows program but a network protocol ;-)

Comment

I know that, but most people associate it with Windows, since it was one of the major ways to crack Windows back in the day when it was enabled by default. And that reputation kinda stuck since no one uses Telnet anymore haha. You're just trying to make me look bad ;)

-Linus Torvalds

Comment

I know that, but most people associate it with Windows, since it was one of the major ways to crack Windows back in the day when it was enabled by default. And that reputation kinda stuck since no one uses Telnet anymore haha. You're just trying to make me look bad ;)
                      No no, no problem but you know Interwebz, we are just writing words, it's easy to interpret them negatively since we can't really add tones to these words, contrary to the spoken language.

Comment

Try another client. I have read of some people having the same problem with MIRC and I did as well but only on networks using anything other than Unreal for their IRCD. Xchat is about as good as you can get and there is a free trial. Give it a shot and see if you have the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Viral View Post
                          Try another client. I have read of some people having the same problem with MIRC and I did as well but only on networks using anything other than Unreal for their IRCD. Xchat is about as good as you can get and there is a free trial. Give it a shot and see if you have the same issue.
                          Or HexChat, the open source XChat on steroids...Or KVIrc for a totally customizable client.

Comment

Originally posted by Opt1k4l View Post
                            Or HexChat, the open source XChat on steroids...Or KVIrc for a totally customizable client.
                            Hexchat looks cool, I am going to give it a try this weekend. Thanks :)

Comment

Maybe cause by firewalls

Comment

Working...
                              X