Homework Help for Philosophy Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework Help for Philosophy Paper

Hello guys. I have a short paper for Philosophy. Deadline is on Monday. I need your insights/opinions on this question.

If we can't achieve perfection (the word that was really used was "perfectio" ) or find the right answer of what is "perfect", why do we still need to work hard for it? Why do we still do things for us to achieve/fulfill or find the right answer for it?

It doesn't matter if your answers are long or short. I'll still read all of it. :)

Do you know the phrase "Not knowing it was impossible, he went ahead and did it."?

We keep trying to be perfect just because we don't remember ourselves that perfection is impossible and if you don't know something who will stop you from being perfect? Only you. Search for perfection is, maybe, the most amazing and addictive drug God (if there is a God) ever made. It keeps you awake for the time it takes to accomplish what you want; it blinds you completly so you see nothing in front of you; it makes you the strongest person in the earth; it drives you to break all limits of body and mind and, yeah, it really makes you do amazing things and, when you are near perfection, you are noticed, people talk about you and you get famous, another great drug.

The most addicted to perfection guy I know is Joćo Gilberto, one of the creators of Bossa Nova (here in Brazil) and known as an ass* for not playing in Brazil for a long time because there is no place with good acoustics for him to play here.

There is perfection in the music of Joao Gilberto, the soft-touch bossa nova master from Brazil - SFGate
    The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

Originally posted by bongjebong View Post
      Hello guys. I have a short paper for Philosophy. Deadline is on Monday. I need your insights/opinions on this question.

If we can't achieve perfection (the word that was really used was "perfectio" ) or find the right answer of what is "perfect", why do we still need to work hard for it? Why do we still do things for us to achieve/fulfill or find the right answer for it?

It doesn't matter if your answers are long or short. I'll still read all of it. :)
      I really think that you would be interested in reading this philosophical article on Spinoza on perfection/perfectio (read section 3.2) and about Perfectionism (sections 1-2). Plus these are scholarly sources that you can you for your paper for reference too.

The word 'refinement' comes up when I think about perfection. There are areas of my self that I want to refine. For me, perfection is synonymous with aspiration and a higher being.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefteris View Post
        Do you know the phrase "Not knowing it was impossible, he went ahead and did it."?

We keep trying to be perfect just because we don't remember ourselves that perfection is impossible and if you don't know something who will stop you from being perfect? Only you. Search for perfection is, maybe, the most amazing and addictive drug God (if there is a God) ever made. It keeps you awake for the time it takes to accomplish what you want; it blinds you completly so you see nothing in front of you; it makes you the strongest person in the earth; it drives you to break all limits of body and mind and, yeah, it really makes you do amazing things and, when you are near perfection, you are noticed, people talk about you and you get famous, another great drug.

The most addicted to perfection guy I know is Joćo Gilberto, one of the creators of Bossa Nova (here in Brazil) and known as an ass* for not playing in Brazil for a long time because there is no place with good acoustics for him to play here.

There is perfection in the music of Joao Gilberto, the soft-touch bossa nova master from Brazil - SFGate
        Ohhh. That's a nice one Lefteris! I like it! Thanks!

Originally posted by Proleteriat View Post
        I really think that you would be interested in reading this philosophical article on Spinoza on perfection/perfectio (read section 3.2) and about Perfectionism (sections 1-2). Plus these are scholarly sources that you can you for your paper for reference too.

The word 'refinement' comes up when I think about perfection. There are areas of my self that I want to refine. For me, perfection is synonymous with aspiration and a higher being.
        Thanks for the resources dude! I'll read them later.

Keep 'em coming guys! :D

Comment

Like a lot of Terms, Perfection (as I see it) is only a reference to much more fundamental term which surrounds us as humans - Progress.

Our perspective over the world around us is that there is a constant change, movement and it has a certain direction. The progress in Time, Evolution, Modernism and so on.

People see this progression going a certain way (that they have decided on) and curious about it. they try to imagine where is the end of this road, where does this way leads us?

And the term that we had to invent was the answer to that: Perfection. Everyone needs to believe that in an ongoing progress there is a mystical ending which will be the best, the most fulfilling, the answer to all our problems, the perfect solution!

That what derives us to move "Forward" as we decided what forward is, but of course there is no ending to this cycle because the meaning of this term is that we should always move, change, progress.

The pursue after perfection is the way we give hope to ourselves that thing could be better, and would be better.

And that is why we can't reach perfection, because this term doesn't refer to a certain point at the end of the line that we wish to get to (as we might think). Perfection refers to the drive that we create in order to lead our life to a meaning.

Comment

well kinda my insight so bare with me
            well perfection,achievement, progress these all are mental state of human beings
            Nobody is perfect but our actions for achieving perfection is the highlight(IMP THING) . why do we work hard ? for achieving some thing or goals in life, why do we need to do thing's correctly or precise ?so that the goal can be achieved ?how a goal can be achieved? by acting perfectly or working perfectly towards it . in short hard work

secondly a person how he is born and brought up , his friend circle, his hobbies all has have an effect on individual's mind set may be positive or negative.this also effects his thinking towards it
            perfection cannot be achieved but working towards perfection will make u achieve things
            its a mind set where u are never content with thing's u do and more more u get involed in it
            have a positive approach toward perfection and doin things correctly .
            some quotes by g8 personalities
            “If you look for perfection, you'll never be content.”
            Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.”
            Salvador Dalķ
            perfection's definition changes from person to person for eg whts perfect for me would not be perfect for you and vice versa
            once an intelligent man said run behind excellence not behind perfection try doing new thing rather than achieving perfection in old thing's

dude r u awake i tout u slept lols
            sigpic

Comment

I don't agree with the posts that said perfection cannot be achieved, it's wrong.

Perfection can be achieved, doing a test perfectly will result in a 100% score, any engineering product: car, dam, nuclear reactor, ISS, Curiosity mars rover, all are built perfectly because that's the only way they're going to work, the same can be said about nature and it's laws, animals and even humans.

There are only a few universal constants that if they were a tiny bit different, the whole universe was completely different, among those constants are the gravitational constant, Coulomb constant, speed of light, Planck unit and two more that I can't remember right now. The current universal constants are perfect to allow galaxies and matter to exist the way they do.

Earth is positioned at a perfect distance from the sun and has a perfect orbit which allows us to have seasons. The molten core of our planet can continue to stay hot and molten thanks to the fact that 70% of the surface is covered with water, which acts as a perfect insulator from space and regulate climate. The molten core allows us to have a magnetic field and an atmosphere, both protect Earth from space hazards. Earth is perfect.

Look at the animal kingdom, the food chain acts as perfect preservation of genes and allows evolution to work.
              Look at us, humans, our bodies and minds are perfect, sure it can be improved in many ways but as it is right now, its perfect, we can learn, run, interact with tools, build and eventually improve our bodies, that is the next step of evolution.

There are patterns everywhere, even in chaotic systems there's almost always some pattern, sounds like a perfect universe to me. Here's a related video:

Lastly, here's something I read from the Tao Te Ching:

True perfection seems imperfect,
              yet it is perfectly itself.
              True fullness seems empty,
              yet it is fully present.

True straightness seems crooked.
              True wisdom seems foolish.
              True art seems artless.
              Last edited by LabChimp; August 31, 2012, 09:04 AM.
              九死一生を得る

Comment

If you add boundaries you're not talking about perfection anymore, it's something "perfectly built under the imposed boundaries". A perfect car would also drive you home; people would never have to dealt with radioactive waste in a perfect nuclear reactor; nature/evolution/God should have used the same celular structure (algorithm?) it used in builting epidermis to build all of ours organs, so a human being never get old or even die. IMO, perfection unachievable because (a lot) before reaching the imposed boundaries, you've already seen a lot of other things that must be added to make that something perfect.
                The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

perfection is good in theory but its not possible in practical life or its just a state of mind lols

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

every thing is perfect till a new Newton or Einstein comes and proves it wrong,every thing changes even mother nature changes its behavior nothing in this world is constant and nothing will be even the gravitational force can change in given situation under conditions and even the axis on which the earth rotates changes.
                  there is a whole lot of difference between pattern and perfection
                  lols it is also a state of mind
                  labchimp it ws nice
                  sigpic

Comment

Life is a journey, not a destination. The two are entwined and symbiotic.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Originally posted by Lefteris View Post
                      If you add boundaries you're not talking about perfection anymore, it's something "perfectly built under the imposed boundaries". A perfect car would also drive you home; people would never have to dealt with radioactive waste in a perfect nuclear reactor; nature/evolution/God should have used the same celular structure (algorithm?) it used in builting epidermis to build all of ours organs, so a human being never get old or even die. IMO, perfection unachievable because (a lot) before reaching the imposed boundaries, you've already seen a lot of other things that must be added to make that something perfect.
                      So you claim you know better than god or millions of years of evolution what our organs should be made of? Without darkness there will be no light, without evil there will be no good, without death there will be no life.
                      Death serves a lot purposes, even suppose our lifespan was longer, microbes mutate and evolve all the time, much faster than our own immune system. They will certainly kill us after sometime if our bodies wouldn't rot. The most practical way to combat them is give birth to offspring with small mutations and better immune system and to continue this process infinitely.

Why do you consider death a bad thing? did you think what would happen if suddenly there were no more deaths from natural causes for every living thing ?

The nuclear reactor itself does its job perfectly, the byproducts of its process aren't necessarily a bad thing, they can be recycled to various application such as radioactive medicine, weapons and armor and even be synthesized back to nuclear fuel.

The perfect car can fly, has an auto pilot and can teleport, but an even more perfect car can also protect you from a bullets and has fridge.
                      Same can be said about humans, the perfect human will have four arms, night vision, infra red vision, x ray vision etc. he can fly, survive in every environment and so on but there will always be room for more improvement.

This is similar to the discussion about infinity, what is the largest number ? this: ∞ ? or this: ∞ + 1 ? what about this: ∞ + ∞ ? it can go on forever.
                      What is perfect ? Perfect | Define Perfect at Dictionary.com
                      Well if something meets 99.999% of the requirements, you can call it perfect.

It all comes down to your perspective, humans as they are right now are perfect (say 99.99% perfect), sure there's room for improvement that just mean we can become even more perfect (99.999%), just like with infinity and infinity + 1.

P.S. 9.999... reasons that .999... = 1

Originally posted by raichini View Post
                      perfection is good in theory but its not possible in practical life or its just a state of mind lols

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

every thing is perfect till a new Newton or Einstein comes and proves it wrong,every thing changes even mother nature changes its behavior nothing in this world is constant and nothing will be even the gravitational force can change in given situation under conditions and even the axis on which the earth rotates changes.
                      there is a whole lot of difference between pattern and perfection
                      lols it is also a state of mind
                      labchimp it ws nice
                      Please google all the constants I mentioned, infinite amount of experiments to find these constants do not lie.

The constants and their relation to our universe I mentioned are from this book, "Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape The Universe" by Martin Rees.

My previous explanation was redundant so I found a brief summery of what the book discusses:
                      The first is a ratio of the strength of the electrical forces that hold atoms together divided by the force of gravity between them. It is very large, about 1036, and were it a few zeros shorter, only a short-lived miniature universe could exist and there would be no time for biological evolution.
                      The second number is also a ratio and is the proportion of energy that is released when hydrogen fuses into helium. This number is 0.007, and if it were 0.006 or 0.008 we could not exist.
                      The third number, also a ratio, relates the actual density of matter in the universe to a 'critical' density. At first sight this number appears to be about 0.4. If this ratio were too high the universe would have collapsed long ago: if too low, galaxies or stars would not have formed.
                      The fourth number, only recently discovered, is a cosmic 'antigravity' and appears to control the expansion of the universe even though it has no discernible effect on scales less than a billion light years.
                      The fifth number is the ratio of the energy required to break apart a galaxy compared to its 'rest mass energy' and is about 10-5. If this ratio were smaller the universe would be inert and structureless: if much larger the universe would be so violent that no stars or sun systems could survive.
                      The sixth number, surprisingly, is the number of spatial dimensions in our world (3). Life could not exist if this was 2 or 4
                      九死一生を得る

Comment

well labchimp nice knowledge ur havin i realy apreciate it but its from his point of view with given scientific proof . AND i realy got to know something new
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X