Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uTorrent crashes Win 7 x64 on larger files

Hello all,

I am not sure of the cause or if their is a solution but it seems whenever I download a lot of files or files larger than 3GB (guess) I BSOD every 10 or so minutes until it finishes downloading.

This has been happening to me for about 5/6 formats, so I know its not driver/OS corruption related. It only happens when using uTorrent, with or without PeerBlock running.

a screen shot of the BSOD is here:

DMP File: http://thrashmag.com/capture.zip (rename to .dmp)

Wish I had an idea what is causing this, or if their is a known issue with this. My machine specs are below just in case it helps:
    Case Lian Li PC-9F (Mid-Tower)
    Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    CPU Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
    GPU EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Heatsink XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm
    RAM 16GB Ripjaw X Series DDR3 1866
    PSU SeaSonic X Series X-850
    Blu-Ray Burner LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support
    HD 128GB Crucial M4 SSD SATA III
    HD 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II
    HD 2TB WD Cavier Black 7200RPM SATA II
    Monitor 24” ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED
    Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified
    Headset Corsair CA-HS1NA Gaming Audio Series HS1 USB

Try this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888
    Last edited by Azitox; August 5, 2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Just to be sure you could double check with Whocrahsed to determine and exclude any possibility of a driver issue. Hopefully though Azitox's recommendation will solve the problem you are encountering.

Comment

thanks both of you, I am testing out the KB now... as for the information WhoCrashed gave:

On Sun 8/5/2012 8:13:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
        crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080512-8314-01.dmp
        This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
        Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88001BA0B2D)
        Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
        file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
        product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
        company: Microsoft Corporation
        description: NT Kernel & System
        Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
        This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
        The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Comment

Long shot... but maybe your hard drive is incorrectly formatted? Check if its NTFS or fat32? Not quire sure, though.

Comment

all drives NTFS.

Comment

This is likely a network driver issue, so if the hotfix doesn't work, try updating the drivers.
              Edit:
              Could also be an SSD problem with the firmware. Crucial M4s had some problems with old firmware.
              Last edited by Azitox; August 5, 2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Which uTorrent version are you using? some versions are buggy..
                try uninstalling uTorrent and installing uTorrent 2.2.1.

Old Version of uTorrent 2.2.1 Download - OldApps.com
                sigpic

​A Special Thanks to SiniuS

Comment

Have you tried increasing utorrent cache??if not increase it to 1024MB and also make sure if latest utorrent version is installed or not? if still have the issue then change the directory of files to be downloaded and see if it helps.if still not works then check your hard drive by Hiren Boot CD tools and check it for errors.
                  Thank you T-I for everything
                  Special Thanks to
                  DSRTG for giving me VIP
                  Thanks to Gblaze for my avatar
                  My GA:
                  10%, 33%, 55% , Bonus, VIP
                  My Requests: FTN, Hdbits.org, Pedro
                  If you need any sort of help from me, feel free to PM me

Comment

All the suggestions here are good - have you tried any of them thus far?

Could be an issue with the SSD firmware as suggested. Have you checked that out?

Which drive are you saving to? SSD or HDD?

If this always happens with the torrents then could be a network driver as suggested. Had some issues with Windows and my wifi card until I got a driver from the chipset maker. The card was ENCORE but the chipset was done by REALTEK - got a REALTEK driver and that sorted it out.

Another thing which could cause your stress could be memory. Download UBCD and boot with it. Can use it to do a check of your RAM using WMD and MEMTEST. Can also do full tests on your HDDs. Not sure if it has utils for checking the SSD. Once your WMD/MEMTEST passes then you'd have to look elsewhere.

Also in the suggestion just above - increase the cache and see if it helps.

Post your results and findings when you can.

Comment

The microsoft link is definitely appearing to slow down the crashes, so thanks for that.

I am trying to download 4 15GB files right now....

Prior to the fix it was crashing every 15 minutes on these files
                      Since, it has crashed once, about an hour in and I was also watching stuff on Youtube and transferring 50GB across my network locally.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

useless, are you referring to diskio.cache_stripe? under uTorrent Advanced? Mine is set to 128 right now...

Scratch that, I just did this: http://www.psychcomp.com/utorrent-di...100-error-fix/ (anyone have any reasons not to?
                      Last edited by Ensiferum; August 5, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Have you tried any other torrent programs? If it does it with anything else then it's likely a network driver problem as others have said. I have a problem similar to this in windows 7 64bit some time ago after Microsoft update updated my realtec network adapter. At the time I didnt notice it with torrents but it did it every time I would try to copy a large file over my home network. I rolled back to a previous driver and the problem went away.

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in.
                        ...To see what condition my condition was in."

Comment

Originally posted by Ensiferum View Post

useless, are you referring to diskio.cache_stripe? under uTorrent Advanced? Mine is set to 128 right now...

Scratch that, I just did this: uTorrent: Disk Overload 100% Error Fix (anyone have any reasons not to?
                          i was talking about increasing cache as it improves performance by decreasing disc load..
                          Last edited by useless; August 5, 2012, 09:01 PM.
                          Thank you T-I for everything
                          Special Thanks to
                          DSRTG for giving me VIP
                          Thanks to Gblaze for my avatar
                          My GA:
                          10%, 33%, 55% , Bonus, VIP
                          My Requests: FTN, Hdbits.org, Pedro
                          If you need any sort of help from me, feel free to PM me

Comment

Working...
                          X