Torrent Trader Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrent Trader Help

Hi all, I was hoping to set up a simple tracker to help share a few files and I came across Torrent Trader which looks like it will do the job! However websites aren't my strong point and I wondered if somebody would have 5 mins to write a quick but simple 'how to' or maybe somebody might fancy installing it for me on my webspace for me

Configuring a tracker for "to help share a few files" is incredible overkill. Why build a full scale library for a few books when a bookshelf would do just fine?

You could simply use uTorrent as a miniature tracker for a few files instead of the immensely larger task of setting up an entire tracker. If you look in the advanced menu of uTorrent you will find a setting called bt.enable_tracker. If you enable that.. uTorrent will work the same as a tracker for several dozen or less torrents. Without having to set up the huge framework that full scale trackers and the related websites have.

A search would have shown you a lot of posts on this subject. Here are three as a starting point:

Last edited by Copper; July 28, 2012, 06:49 AM.
    Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

I understand this is an option but I use a seedbox and not uTorrent (as I can't leave my PC on). I thought Torrent Trader was a simple solution once installed?

Comment

Torrent trader is described as source code for a full scale tracker. I haven't actually used it e.g. tbdev and gazelle are far more common implementations.
        Possibly someone here has actually tried TT and can provide more details.

Installing uTorrent onto your seed box is likely to be an order of magnitude easier than configuring an full scale tracker. But if that is what you want to do, carry on.

Comment

Copper is absolutely right. And if you already got a seedbox and want to share a few files, why don't you just create private torrents using open tracker? Or if it are really just 5-6 files use the FTP on your seedbox to share them?!
          To build a tracker is really a lot of work. There is no 1-2-3 the tracker is working script. And to write a good proper website, no1 would just need 5 minutes.

Comment

OK, that sounds like an idea. Whats the best way to create a torrent a private torrent on an open tracker? I assume that means only somebody with the torrent file can download it?

Comment

Assuming you have a seedbox, and it has an ruTorrent interface. Simply make sure the create torrent plugin is installed. Once you have created the torrent file, share it with people you trust. You could also create a directory which your friends and grant them authorization to download these generated torrent files. That's the simplest and cheapest way I could see in terms of sharing.

There are many other ways to do this too.

Comment

There are numerous ways to do this all with various advantages and disadvantages. You should do some reading on how torrents work.

le_us was suggesting an alternative to what I already recommended i.e. using a third party open tracker, rather than uTorrent to announce the torrent. You give up some control and flexibility, but it would be marginally easier than installing uTorrent. e.g. Public bittorrent.

Comment

Thanks all - testing Public bittorrent link posted above by Copper . Seems to work great when its seedbox to seedbox but files are downloading horribly slow on home PC. Maybe something to do with the UDP tracker URLs?

Comment

Originally posted by r2k View Post
                    Thanks all - testing Public bittorrent link posted above by Copper . Seems to work great when its seedbox to seedbox but files are downloading horribly slow on home PC. Maybe something to do with the UDP tracker URLs?
                    Way too many variables to do more than guess at why your speeds are slow. You'd have to provide a lot more information before anyone could easily trouble shoot that.

You've already have the obvious solution, which IMO is to use uTorrent for this and it works very well - just as fast as any other seed box torrent. Ideally you would install uTorrent on your seed box. You could also just have uTorrent announce just on your PC and add the seed box as a secondary location. But in that case the torrent would only be available when your PC was online.

Comment

Working...
                    X