FTP Monitoring Program with download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP Monitoring Program with download

I'm looking for recommendations on an FTP monitoring application that will automatically download newly uploaded files on an FTP site. I did the typical Google search but i'm looking for recommendations.

In all honesty, i'm lazy. I have a seedbox setup with Autodl, but now I want to eliminate the last manual task in transferring new downloads from my seedbox to my home NAS.
    ===========================================
    My Giveaways
    :

I'm not sure if it has an auto download function but Filezilla is good. :)

Comment

I've heard numerous people mention rsync to do this but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, I've always been too lazy to read about it.

Comment

DeltaCopy was mentioned in another thread... have not used it personally. It's essentially a Windows front end for rsync.

There was another how to that used another piece of software, but I don't remember the name of it, and I can't seem to find the tutorial for it.. but it's here somewhere..

You can also use something like SyncBackPro to download from the ftp, set it on a schedule, etc. Not sure how well it works for that purpose since I only use it for local file backup (but that part works very well). Doesn't appear to do encrypted connections, however (or at least not very well).
        Last edited by E5yx8kQH; April 11, 2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E5yx8kQH View Post
          You can also use something like SyncBackPro to download from the ftp, set it on a schedule, etc. Not sure how well it works for that purpose since I only use it for local file backup (but that part works very well). Doesn't appear to do encrypted connections, however (or at least not very well).
          If you're not worried about using SFTP then this is the best option. Even better, the free version will be all you need.

If you'd rather have an encrypted download then you're going to have a bit more trouble. I have the same seedbox set-up as you so am currently looking for an automated system myself and have found two possible solutions:

1. Use FTP rush and figure out a way to write a script that auto-starts the program and runs a pre-programmed sync function.
          2. Incorporate the use of Wget into the .batch file I'm currently using to unrar and rename my downloads.

If I have any luck with either I'll might consider writing a tutorial explaining what I did.

Comment

ScriptFTP looks like it could be promising. Not freeware (can be "fixed"), but looks easier to script with than FTP Rush.

Comment

Not sure if this will do what you want or not. I use it for Downloading from my seedbox

WinSCP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

CuteFTP has a feature called Synchronize folders that will do the trick. You can set it to download from a remote folder (on the server) with a local folder at a given time (every x min/hour/whatever).
                Tools>Folder tools>Synchronize folders

Comment

Yeah but the CuteFTP synchronize syncs the entire thing. If all your downloads go to the same place it will download all of them.

Comment

I used cuteFTP
                    sigpic
                    Thank you Vector King for repping me in!
                    Thank you DocDoom for this awesome signature, and avatar.

My giveaways:
                    HFU GA|DH | IPT | TL

Comment

Originally posted by init View Post
                      Not sure if this will do what you want or not. I use it for Downloading from my seedbox

WinSCP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      +1 this.

I've just started using WinSCP and have found it very easy to run as part of a batch process. There are many, many scripting options available, and the documentation is pretty comprehensive. There's also a forum on the developer's website where he provides support if you're stuck.

Comment

Now you didnt write if you use a windows or a linux NAS box, but i'll provide some solutions for both:

Windows: You could use either WinSCP or just a basic FTP command to get new and updated files only.
                        Linux: Rsync would probably be the best solution if the boxes runs linux on both sides - SCP could also be a solution.
                        Final solution, which would actually work for both platforms, would be to make a script that launches wget to get new and updated files only.

For linux, the easiest way would be to make a cron job that runs every minute. In Windows you could make a scheduled task.

Regards,
                        KaZinQ

Comment

Thanks all for the recommendations. I gave CuteFTP a try and so far I'm liking the results.
                          My Giveaways
                          :

Comment

How did u get CuteFTP not to download everything in the folder?

Comment

Working...
                            X