Clear All

• pc shutdown......help please

Hi guys this is my setup

amd 630 cpu its 2.6 quad
    biostar t7703e mobo
    5 gig ddr2 800
    nvidia 8600gt graphics
    cit 550 psu

the problem i have always been an heavy pc user by this i mean no reboots however the last couple weeks im having to reboot every couple of days. Last night was using pc as normal and needed to encode a movie so booted up convert x to dvd anyway did 2 disks fine but on the 3rd disk my pc turned off, so i 1st thought it must of got too warm so i went in the bios and highered the shutdown temp up to 75 from 65, its not happened again altho i am too scared to try encode another movie so my questions are

1. Is there any software that can annalyse my pc to sort of give me an idea whats wrong and maybe help fix ?
    2. If i wanted to upgrade, i dont have loads of money but could throw 200-300 gbp what sort of upgrade should i go for altho would really love to know whats going on with this 1

thanks guys for any help any of u can offer to a lost soul in a new world

Hi,

Just one screaming question: What OS are you running?

It's all very well asking us a question, but we need infomation. We can't do miracles ;-)

Until then, pr0tip - try not to fiddle with your BIOS. It is a crucial part of your system and you can often unintentionally screw things up by meddling with it.

When you let me know what OS you are running, I may be able to assist further

Cheers,
    -Pulser
    "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

Comment

sorry bout that, im running win 7 64bit some 1 did actually tell me that i would be better removing 1 gig of ram and then running 32 bit they said my machine would run better and only us 64bit if i had 8gig or more ram.

Comment

Hi,

You can run 64bit on any system with 4GB of RAM or more. I actually believe windows 7 advertises that you can run it on 2GB (can anyone confirm that?). I am afraid that if you are running windows there is very little I can do for you. I will point this thread out to someone who may be able to help you, however Linux is more my forte.

Good luck!
        -Pulser
        "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

Comment

One thing a lot of people tend to neglect is cleaning your PC. I mean physically cleaning. If it did shut down as a result of higher temps perhaps it could just be as a result of dust build up? Get a blower and give it a once over and you might see a reduction in temps.
          As for apps for monitoring your PC something I would recommend is AIDA64. I use it to monitor the temps on most of the critical components. And it monitors a lot more than just temperatures. It's a pretty useful app, odds are if you do have a problem it can help you single it out.
          sigpic
          DedisReturn

Comment

thanks guys maybe its time to get the thing stripped down and cleaned

Comment

Several things. Check that the processor heat sink and fan are clean as Drauka suggested. Run a full antivirus and malware scan. Defragment your drive. And run system file checker (link).

If this problem showed up right after installing or uninstalling some recent software, then that would jump to the front of the list of suspects as well. Try these steps and then let us know if it made any difference. And in particular, if you see any error messages, post the exact message for us.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Can you please tell us what happened when it shut down?
                It "seems" that its temperature related, but more than that, we can't know.
                What kind of CPU do you have? is it overclocked?

Regarding the temperatures, you have two choices.
                1- Improve airflow (this includes cleaning out the case with compressed air - NOT blow dryers or vacuums)
                2- Underclock your CPU to make it run cooler, or run default clocks if its currently overclocked (could be unstable)

Here's a program to help you monitor your temps (64-bit / 32-bit are both included):
                CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Comment

not overclocked its default never messed with it its an amd athlon 2 x4 620-630 cpu

Comment

Ok
                    Clean it out, as I mentionned above.

After you crash, WINDOWS+R and type in eventvwr.msc.
                    Press enter.
                    Look through your LOCAL and tell us if you find a BSOD crash or a temperature (dangerous conditions) related logs. This will help us determine what is causing your crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by PurplePanther View Post
                      Ok
                      Clean it out, as I mentionned above.

After you crash, WINDOWS+R and type in eventvwr.msc.
                      Press enter.
                      Look through your LOCAL and tell us if you find a BSOD crash or a temperature (dangerous conditions) related logs. This will help us determine what is causing your crashes.
                      I don't think he saw a BSOD otherwise he would have gotten a handy message on boot detailing the failure. If this didn't happen it's likely a hardware issue. If, for some reason, you suspect a software issue, run msconfig and turn off all non-essential programs to run at startup.

As suggested above clean out as much dust as possible. Make sure the computer is mounted in a place that allows it to breathe (e.g. not shoved inside an enclosed area). At times, I've had hard-to-explain problems if the humidity level got too high so if you are running a humidifier try turning it off. I'm not sure where you live (dunno if yorkshire is a clue or just random :D) but you might consider cooling the room your computer is in if it gets too warm.

Comment

Same sort of thing happened to me a while back at first is was happening like yours then it started happening everyday and after some Trial and error i figured out it was the power supply. Intermittent restarts or shutdown could either be the power supply or the memory is failing.
                        When this was going on with me i never had a BSOD one way for you to find out is if you have another power supply around then run with it for a couple of days and see if it crashes again and if it does then take out all of your memory except one stick then run for a while then add another or just use memtest.

Well hopefully all that makes since random restarts are a pain to figure out whats causing them well that's all i got hope it helps.

Comment

Had a similar problem recently check your ram is in properly or not faulty so maybe pull out a stick see if its find if turns of try to take the other ram out and see 90% of the time when a pc keeps shutting of will be related to a ram issue
                          A hero born from Ashes, He was destined for greatness.
                          Overcoming all obstacles with strength and willpower,
                          He has taken his rightful place as a Judge of the Just.
                          At once entirely exposed and slightly mysterious,
                          He is gracious and honest, yet capable of the unexpected.
                          His eyes see into your soul and separates truth from lies,
                          His touch reaches all sectors of Life, High and Low.
                          He is ... The Exalted.

Comment

As for the talk of "removing 1 gig of ram and then running 32 bit they said my machine would run better and only us 64bit if i had 8gig or more ram." that makes no sense. I have run 64bit windows 7 on my machine since i had a mere 2GB of RAM. I find it far better than 32bit. Back to your problem, the major suggestions have already been made, clean it out and monitor the temps. Keep an eye out for components that seem to be heating up faster than usual, and have a look at them, as this may indicate either insufficient cooling or that the part is failing.

Comment

I would recommend using a program like RealTemp to monitor your temperatures, so you can get an idea of what is happening with your computer. Also, as people have mentioned, make sure your heatsink and fans are clean of dust. Canned air or one of these Amazon.com: Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster: Home Improvement are your friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X