This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major changes to the forum

Okay dokey guys it seems there needs to be a shakeup to the forum.

Im gonna go ahead and make some drastic changes but hopefully you guys can moderate it here before I do something too stupid.

I will try to justify most of what I do in this thread and after a day will make it all go live.

1. So first of all I am going to increase most of the admin permissions to our wonderful longtime admins Shadowbuild, Tankgirl and Outdoors30. These will allow them to take over alot of the management of the forum of which I am getting increasingly less time to do.

2. Secondly I am removing the intro requirement. Our spammers have stopped and our membership is too hard to get going for most people. Given the reduction in demand for private trackers as well as poor management by me our forums are in severe decline and we need to make it easier for people to join. This is not to say intros will be permanently gone. They will be back once we get momentum going again.

3. Next we will revise the requirements of the user ranks. This is to still make it hard to get into the invite sections of the site and give time for the admins to vet bad members.
    Changes are in bolded, brackets, and underlined for your visibility.

= this is where users are before their introductions are accepted(this is where people are after they register)

= this is where users are after their introductions are accepted (this will be a 30 post requirement and a 20 rep requirement + 10 day requirement)

= 50 posts + 25 reputation + 30 days = access to '33% Giveaways' forum. Able to make requests in the Requests section. (this will be a 70 post requirement and a 30 rep requirement + 40 day requirement)

No change on the rest of the ranks.

3. Thirdly we will restore some seo functionality to the site. I removed it a while back because vbseo was becoming too taxing on the server. We will now implement it with vb's own internal fancy url thingy.

4. We will change some of the forums to keep up with the changing times in p2p. I feel like an area to talk about streaming services .. netflix, popcorntime hulu etc and how to get the best deals outta them would be beneficial.

5. We will be getting a facelift... *mystery music*

Regards,

Dave

*edit*

@dntx @Mickey_D @duketom @Poopderp @TankGirl @skyguard @Coal and everyone else

I definitely took into your feedback during the vote which is why it has taken so long to come back with a decision.

The facts are that a tiny tiny percentage of people are now converting from starting to 10 percent. There is less stuff to talk about on the forums because there are less members to contribute. We are not meant to be the super secretive part of the bittorent world. That is for the private trackers. We are meant to be softening the barrier to entry and I feel like we have lost that. New members are being confused and frustrated by the time it takes to enter.

Of course if it turns out we are letting a heap load of cheaters in we will reimplement the old system. We are in fact now looking at a smart way to implement the intros into the giveaway section only.

Secondly the post/rep/time requirements are actually a greater test and hurdle than a simple introduction. It allows you the members to report something shifty in their post quality and it is of course up to you members to rep them up and in. It is easier however for newcomers because they can see incremental gains and can actively work towards their goal. Sitting around doing absolutely nothing but wait on an intro drives people away. Again our vision to implement the intros to the invite section only, solves both these problems.

For now I can only ask you to back the decision until you have solid facts that it is a bad one. If you can present those of course I will listen. Doomsday predictions will benefit no one.

Lastly there is no one stopping you from implementing your own checks in your giveaway threads. These can imitate the intro requirement to the letter if you like. Our staff have also been told to be more strict in their own checks.
    PM me at your own peril.

No emails in posts | Spam and die | Give igiver to those who deserve it | People with larger sigs than me are overcompensating

Hand pick your people, Totally dependable, Totally Loyal~Admiral Cain

@ Dave
    Thanks for updating rules but this is still not updated @ User Ranks & Privileges
    sigpic

Thanks to Hearts , mate88 & pb_teo for this awesome avatar and signature.

Comment

Since we are temporarily removing the intro requirement, is it possible to limit the 0% user-class to about 10 post a day, to prevent possible spam?

sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=109018]Hearts[/MENTION] the 0% class can already post in most forums so if there was any spam it would have happened already.
        PM me at your own peril.

No emails in posts | Spam and die | Give igiver to those who deserve it | People with larger sigs than me are overcompensating

Comment

The intros meant that everyone at least understood that this is not a place to trade or sell invites. People often don't read the rules, and removing the intro process means people can just make posts and get rep points and get in the invites section without firstly promising to not trade/sell/etc. Loosening the rules to increase member count doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The site is already good enough that people would want to join despite the intro process. It also makes things like faking speedtests much more possible. There is no initial speedtest for other users to check.

Comment

Update: The strikethrough and the goto/anchor bbcode tags are now working! With the goto tags working, the contents links in tracker reviews are now working once again!

Edit:
            Spoiler Alert!
            Spoiler tags now work too!
            Last edited by Poopderp; May 29, 2015, 02:06 PM.
            JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
            IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

Looking back what i've wrote on Shadowbuild's thread about the SIR's, i can't change my opinion about the intros. If you ask me if i see the forums declining, yes i see it. But i don't want to make "anything" to give it a try and revive the forums, like opening the doors to the ones that WE don't want here. I'm 99% sure that dupe accounts, selling tracker accounts and so on will start.
              If you give more permissions to the admins, can u "give" a team to Tankgirl to make it easier, faster and with more people to workout the intros with SIRs? The intros with no need to SIR, i hope there are enough Gatekeepers to accept new members quickly.
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting changes, time will tell how it works out...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  @Hearts the 0% class can already post in most forums so if there was any spam it would have happened already.

That's true but wouldn't they spam more knowing posts are required to get to 10%?
                  just my opinion but I think post limiting isn't a bad idea..
                  Last edited by Mickey_D; May 29, 2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

This sounds like a good way to get thing's going, also I know allot of people who want to learn how to torrent and they are so intiminated by the inteview word, this will be good if enough of us chip in and help the newbies, fight against Trash and the like. We can gain from this, may need more Staff though. I am in : )

[EDIT] As long as this is temporary, eventually we could become a taget again if thing's pick up too much.
                    Last edited by SteviLGenius; May 29, 2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Only time will tell how things work out.
                      sigpic

[ἓν οἶδα ὅτι] οὐδὲν οἶδα - Socrates

Comment

Changes are now live.
                        PM me at your own peril.

Comment

do you even listen to the community you already have ?
                          much disappointed
                          We want intros back

Stuck with getting that server turned into a seedbox ? Let a pro do it for
                          FREE
                          FreeSeedboxInstallService
                          My Invite Threads
                          ~~ Come and Visit us on IRC and have access to this wealth of commands ~~

Comment

For the time being, I've added a requirement to my giveaway thread for users to have completed an old-style introduction. I suggest that anyone who cares about their tracker accounts does the same.

Edit: Of course, I'm 100% against this change. Not only will this expose our giveaways to traders, cheaters, etc, but it will only increase the spam on the forum. What the forum needs is a reason for existing and new members to post on threads. If there's nothing for users to talk about or no incentive, every new thread will be spammed with loads of members trying to get their post count up by replying with the same answer which has already been given a thousand times. There's a huge user base of amazing users already, the forum is just dead because there's nothing to talk about.

Edit 2: Having discussed this on IRC a bit more, I'd like to summarise my concerns about this change
                            • Security - both for users with giveaways, and for all users on the site, will be threatened due to it being much easier for traders, cheaters and bad people to get on the site, even members who have been banned in the past. The chopping block and all existing bans essentially just became useless as no checking means a new IP equals an easy, instant new account. Thousands of hours of staff work has essentially been flushed down the toilet. This has wide implications, not just for traders and cheaters (and spam bots) - trolls and other members who just want to ruin things for everyone else will find it much easier to come back and cause trouble, as will those tracker staff who are only here to spy on our users.
                            • Established users - when existing users learn about the new terrible security, some of them will close down their giveaways. Some will leave and never return. The existing user base is this site's biggest asset - there are some amazing people here. Lose them, and you'll lose your new members too, as there'll be no invites or expertise left.
                            • New users - due to the current dead state of the site, the 30 post requirement will seem much more daunting than a simple introduction and may conceivably even scare new members away, making this whole endeavour pointless.
                            • Users who can't work out the intro system - how are we expecting these users to understand the rules of a private tracker or to contribute anything valuable to the forum? They either have a standard of English too poor or are not tech-literate enough to take a screenshot or two. Are these the kinds of people we want to attract?
                            • Spam - As the forum is currently so dead, new users will likely increase their post count by making worthless posts. I'm not sure how you can expect users new to private trackers to contribute valuable things to the forum.
                            Last edited by Coal; May 30, 2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coal View Post
                              For the time being, I've added a requirement to my giveaway thread for users to have completed an old-style introduction. I suggest that anyone who cares about their tracker accounts does the same.
                              i suspended all my help and invite threads
                              Originally posted by Coal View Post
                              Edit: Of course, I'm 100% against this change. Not only will this expose our giveaways to traders, cheaters, etc, but it will only increase the spam on the forum. What the forum needs is a reason for existing and new members to post on threads. If there's nothing for users to talk about or no incentive, every new thread will be spammed with loads of members trying to get their post count up by replying with the same answer which has already been given a thousand times. There's a huge user base of amazing users already, the forum is just dead because there's nothing to talk about.
                              +1
                              We want intros back

Stuck with getting that server turned into a seedbox ? Let a pro do it for
                              FREE
                              FreeSeedboxInstallService
                              My Invite Threads
                              ~~ Come and Visit us on IRC and have access to this wealth of commands ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X