How To Pick A Seedbox That Meets Your Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Pick A Seedbox That Meets Your Needs

Many people seem to be wondering what type of seedbox is best for them. Thjis tutorial will attempt to explain some of the different approaches so you can make the best choice for your specific needs. Here is a link with some of the major seedbox offerings: Review and Comparison of TorrentFlux Hosting Services | THE source for BitTorrent & P2P Tips, Tricks and Info. | FileShareFreak

There is no one perfect solution that fits everybody. You have to looks at your needs, look at the available options and find the best match at the best price. I will say that there are some offerings from some providers that just do not seem to make any sense because there are much better alternatives in that class of offering (so buyer beware!!). There are also firms that have great packages but lousy support which is where the seedbox review thread is very helpful!

Here are the options in a nutshell
    • seedbox account
      • all software is already set up for you (just start using it!!)
      • lowest cost if you are willing to have a smaller environment
      • lower cost environments are shared with many other users (so performance can be questionable)
      • many accounts have a lot of limitations on them (# active torrents, disk, monthly transfer, even speed caps!!)
      • this is where I recommend people start with seedboxes to see how they fit their needs (low cost and no fuss)
    • VPS (Virtual Private Server)
      • this is a portion of a physical server that is partitioned off to run as its own server environment (separate OS that cannot be affected by the code running in other VPS)
      • since the VPS shares the physical resources of the server, its performance can be affected by the activities taking place on other VPSs on that physcial server
      • some VPS come pre-configured as seedboxes (just start using), others require you to do all the configuration
      • there can be major performance differences between VPSs so review the specs carefully (esp memory, number of VPSs on the physical and specs of the physical)
      • most of these environments will allow you to setup sub-accounts so you can share some of the costs with others
      • there are usually very few limitations with these environments (just disk and maybe some limit on monthly transfer)
      • many hosting comapnies do not allow BT on their devices so DO NOT ASSUME you can run torrents on any VPS (unless you do not mind losing your account without warning)
    • Dedicated Server (Physical)
      • this is the holy grail of seedboxes!!
      • you have your own physical server to do with as you like and it is not shared with anyone (unless you chose to share it...)
      • this tends to be the most expensive option as well (shocking!!!)
      • to understand what you are getting, you need to review the server specs very closely
      • these devices come with very few limititations (just those of the HW specs)
      • some boxes are available with 1GB network connections
        • great for bragging rights but please realize that there arent many GB boxes out there to communicate with so you may have a hard time using all that bandwidth
        • your HDD may have a hard time keeping up as well
        • your provider may have a hard time maintaining a quality network pipe as they role out 1GB devices
      • these are usually raw boxes that you need to configure for yourself (may have OS pre-installed)
      • unless you are a very serious torrenter, you wil likely have a hard time using all the capabilities of a dedicaed server by yourself
      • many hosting companies do not allow BT on their devices so DO NOT ASSUME you can run torrents on any server (unless you do not mind losing your account without warning)
    Once you find an option that fits your needs it is hard to give your seed box up! Good luck in picking the right solution for you and don't forget to share your experiences in the forums (and irc...)!!

very good read Hakeem, a question that bogs me otherwise, is say if i go for a dedi box, how does one get a dedi seedbox at all, if all biggies like LT, SL etc dont allow the dedicatred serv to be used for BT purposes.

Where are these hosted then?Say i go for VPS, then the VPS host must have many vps on a single dedicated box.How do they manage to stay afloat? due to copyright issues?

I am interested in knowing if anyone leases off a dedicated seedbox.I have the know how, just am not sure who to go with.

Or is it that they just risk, and use LayeredTech and others etc?

Peace..

Comment

Originally posted by odeys87 View Post
      very good read Hakeem, a question that bogs me otherwise, is say if i go for a dedi box, how does one get a dedi seedbox at all, if all biggies like LT, SL etc dont allow the dedicatred serv to be used for BT purposes.

Where are these hosted then?Say i go for VPS, then the VPS host must have many vps on a single dedicated box.How do they manage to stay afloat? due to copyright issues?

I am interested in knowing if anyone leases off a dedicated seedbox.I have the know how, just am not sure who to go with.

Or is it that they just risk, and use LayeredTech and others etc?

Peace..
      I would recommend you have a look at the link in the tutorial for comapnies that will provide dedicated boxes and allow torrenting (there are many that do). If you like a particular hosting company form other dealings with them, I strongly advise not running torrents with them unless they state that they are OK with it.

Spend a little time researching your options now and you are sure to find someone who is a very good match to your needs.

Comment

i know santrex.net allow everything torrentin they can provide u wit a pre set up torrent seeder box from 29 usd or u can go for the dearer dedi server from 50 usd i am in no way conected to this site but i know they re good for torrent community

Comment

VPS hosting that allow torrents:

VPS & Plesk web hosting - Remote backup services, Virtual hosting | Serverconnect ~~ it is hosted in Sweden 100Mbps port

VPS - Test en virtuell server gratis i 30 dager | Ipeer.no ~~ hosted in Sweden, all VPS packages come with 1Gbps port

GleSYS - Serverhotell, VPS-hosting och webbhotell ~ hosted in Sweden. 300 Mbps port.

Comment

Very informative been thinking about getting just a regular seedbox from that seedm8 website but dont know how good they are

Comment

Looking at the prices and specs Seedm8 doesn't look like a good solution to me.
              I've had a dedi 'box for over 2 years now. None of them have been with seedbox resellers. All with companies that do not allow BT. I've set up a few for friends as well.
              In about the 20 or so boxes I've had or set up, just the one has been discovered and shut down and that was due to a hardware failure that required the company to get full access to the 'box.
              You can take a dedicated server on a rolling contract (30 days) so the worse that will happen is they discover (unlikely) what you are doing on day one of the new 30 day roll and you lose 29 days of use. Also depending upon the supplier you may hav e had to pay a setup fee, which is gone as well.
              I've found that in comparison the server suppliers, as opposed to the seedbox suppliers give a much better specced machine and a superior service.
              I've used and would recommend

OVH
              Keyweb.
              Last edited by MuckyPuppy; November 7, 2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

this was really helpful when i get more into torrenting i will definitely buy one of the reccomended by users

Comment

Thanks for the review. I do have a question though.

Some seedboxes offer "free tasks" per week. I have no clue what it is, but I've seen it on two seedbox sites. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by FeNoM View Post
                    Thanks for the review. I do have a question though.

Some seedboxes offer "free tasks" per week. I have no clue what it is, but I've seen it on two seedbox sites. Any help would be appreciated.
                    Usually you can upload the file and they will set up the torrent for you with raring, sfv and nfo. Then all you have to do is upload.

Comment

Working...
                    X