Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-featured BitTorrent box run on Docker

Hi, everyone,

I've run my BitTorrent box in Docker container for almost one year. And recently I just packaged it to an all-in-one (rTorrent + ruTorrent) Docker image, hope it will be useful for someone here.

Please have a look at my GitHub page for more detail: docktorrent

Highlights

• All-in-one Docker container, build once and run everywhere.
    • Newest version of rTorrent and ruTorrent, with support of DHT and asynchronous DNS which will result in a more responsive rTorrent.
    • Enable all useful ruTorrent plugins by default.
    • Get a working BitTorrent box in less than 3 minutes, give it a quick try and tune the configs later.
    • rTorrent will automatically restarts on crash.
    • No more boring installation, also keep your OS in a clean state.

Quick Start

• Clone my repository and build the image locally:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/kfei/docktorrent
    cd docktorrent
    docker build -t docktorrent .
    • The building process may take some time. You can just pull the latest image from mine:

Code:
    docker pull kfei/docktorrent
    • After the image is built or pulled, run the docktorrent container:

Code:
    docker run -it \
        -p 80:80 -p 45566:45566 -p 9527:9527/udp \
        --dns 8.8.8.8 \
        -v /data-store:/rtorrent \
        docktorrent
    Note that:
    • The exposed ports are required for ruTorrent web interface, rTorrent listening and the DHT protocol according to the default .rtorrent.rc.
    • The --dns 8.8.8.8 argument is optional but recommended. It seems like the current version of rTorrent still has some DNS issues, using Google's DNS may help.
    • The /data-store volume is for all downloads, torrents and session data, just make sure the disk space is enough.
    • If the container starts without errors, visit http://127.0.0.1 through any web browser, log in to with the default account: docktorrent/[email protected].

Requirement

All you need is to have Docker installed on your system. Check Docker Documentation for installation guide on your OS platform. (I highly recommend you to have a look at Docker.)

Feedback

Bug reports and feature suggestions (e.g., FTP or VPN) are both welcome. Feel free to use the issue tracker on GitHub.

Happy seeding!

wow, that is brilliant ! i'll probably learn a thing or two from this code ^^
    does it work with coreOS? well I think it should be because of the docker containment but I'm still new at this ^^
    anyway good job, i'll edit my post if I can make this work
    EDIT1 : you might want to indicate that the software needed is named "docker.io" and not "docker" (slight difference in packet management for mainstream distros)
    EDIT 2 : WORKS flawlessly, build OK, run OK.
    Performance? well, same as bare metal ...
    on windows : vbox + boot2Docker (port stays closed... but works...)
    linux : jessie + sid tested ok, if you have a custom kernel you need NAT masquerade support...
    now on to extend functionnalities... but which one... and how....
    http downloads might be simple...
    VPN with openvpn or softether might require another container...
    Last edited by akiro; December 14, 2014, 08:03 AM. Reason: suggestion

Comment

Hi, akiro,
      I'm glad you like it! So did you success on Docker installation and get docktorrent to run? CoreOS may be the most container-friendly distro so it won't be a problem.
      Also, I'm not indicating the package name because it varies with different distributions. It can be `docker`, `docker.io`, `lxc-docker`, etc.

Originally posted by akiro View Post
      wow, that is brilliant ! i'll probably learn a thing or two from this code ^^
      does it work with coreOS? well I think it should be because of the docker containment but I'm still new at this ^^
      anyway good job, i'll edit my post if I can make this work
      EDIT1 : you might want to indicate that the software needed is named "docker.io" and not "docker" (slight difference in packet management for mainstream distros)

Comment

Nope not yet I'll try in about 2 hours
        EDIT : had to recomile my kernel, no native NAT support ;) build running and i'll try just after.
        Last edited by akiro; December 12, 2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

This is great, I just got this up and running on my Windows 8 machine with boot2docker, it uses much less resources than my current setup with Ubuntu 14.04 on Hyper-V running rTorrent. Seems to me this is currently the best way to get rtorrent+rutorrent running on Windows.

I was also wondering if you know what would be the best way to mount a folder from windows to the rtorrent container? It looks like virtualbox has an option to mount windows folders but I cant get it to mount at all.

No longer want to use cifs anymore as it is buggy and outdated.
          Last edited by Se7enty4Se7en; December 14, 2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

An invitation for the torrent is filled for the moved and idolized forms for the field. Passages of the town and pendrago are done for the narration for the struggle. Element is filled for the host of the truly moved items for individuals.

Comment

VPN is a good way to enter some websites. It can be used. Thank you for this interesting post and the opportunity to get more information about VPN. I like to play different games and currently started to use one VPN service in order to unblock poker sites which is a pretty good solution if you need to play poker. VPN is a good way to make it more effective and easy in use.

Comment

Working...
              X