Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activate RPN functionality on an Online server

Introduction:

The RPN functionality activates the second Ethernet interface available on your server. It is intend to create a "real" private network with other Online's servers. A useful feature if you want to share data between your own servers or with friends in a secured environment. It has no connection to internet.
    This second interface is a 100MB connection by default and is free. However, if you want more, you can make it a 1GB connection for 1.99/month (+VAT for frogs).

You could use it for:

• Share files
    • Share drives through iSCSI
    • Synchronisation with DRDB
    • Load-Balancing
    • Cloud storage with Openstack and Hadoop

Eligibility:

First of all, at the time speaking the RPN functionality is only available to these products: LT MD PRO ENT WOPR (more to come) part of data center 3 (more to come). So make sure to check in your account if you're eligible to it.

Guide:

Here's a quick step by step guide to activate and setup the RPN on your Online server. It is mainly a translation of Online's documentation.

1 - Create a RPN group:

First step is to create a RPN group. If you own more than one server, you can choose which one you want to add of course. For example if you own three servers, you could create a group with one server and decide to link it with your friends John, Bob and Tom. And create a second group for your two other servers, and link these with John, Bob, Tom, Sam, mum and brother.

I have one server:

Once you validate you might need to wait a few minutes for it to be effective.

2 - Configure your server:

Find your new interface:

Code:
    ifconfig -a | grep eth

eth0 is used for your internet IP. The second interface is called eth2 here.

Configure and set DHCP for your second interface (here "eth2" ; adapt to your config):

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    And add this:

Code:
    auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp
    Save and close. Then bring it up:

Code:
    ifup eth2
    This IP needs to answer pings at all time for it to behave correctly.

With the next command, you can see the new route created:

Code:
    route -n

The Jumbo Frame (MTU 9000):

The RPN network supports jumbo frames, allowing you to set your MTU to 9000. This will significantly improve transfer speeds (especially if you bought the 1GB option) while reducing CPU usage.

So make sure you have it set to 9000:

Code:
    ifconfig eth2 | grep MTU
    If yes, move on to "Add servers to your group". If not then you can follow these steps:

In /etc/network/interfaces add this line to your second interface like this:

Code:
    auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp
    mtu 9000
    Then simply restart your network:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

3 - Add servers to your group:

Now that your server is correctly setup, add your friends:

Go back to RPN Groups on your admin panel, select the "Shared RPN groups" tab and click "Share existing local group":

You'll need your friend's server ID here, and he'll need yours of course.

Once you add him, he'll get an invitation request on the same page, and you too when he adds you. Both accept. Happy sharing !

This is it for now. Obviously this guide is just for setting up RPN. Now that you have it configured, you might want to know how to use it. I'll try to explain that soon (I'll update this thread). Please let me know if you notice something wrong with this guide (typo, advice or else), or if you have any question.
    Last edited by Zordac; October 4, 2013, 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

Thank you! Added to http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedb...nline-net.html front page.

Comment

would be interested to know if this can be used for torrents also giving the extra pep through a non public network interface?

Comment

Can someone update the pictures ?

Comment

Originally posted by lollypop1 View Post
          would be interested to know if this can be used for torrents also giving the extra pep through a non public network interface?
          peers can come from all network interfaces

Comment

u mean if certain friends IPs are configured to and fro, they will be using a non network transfer protocol but give upto 1g speeds without impacting overall network speeds. If so im killer interested in this and will need some help. I always thought of this as a non sense add on but having read on a couple of forums made me interested. Sre you using this too?

Comment

Originally posted by lollypop1 View Post
              u mean if certain friends IPs are configured to and fro, they will be using a non network transfer protocol but give upto 1g speeds without impacting overall network speeds. If so im killer interested in this and will need some help. I always thought of this as a non sense add on but having read on a couple of forums made me interested. Sre you using this too?
              I found this

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/rpn

It seems is a good feature that can work very well on torrents,especially sharing data directly between your servers

Comment

Working...
              X