Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rutorrent Ratio Groups Tutorial

1. Preface

Unfortunately the rutorrent ratio groups are not very intuitive to use and also the corresponding documentation is incomplete. Therefore I made this small tutorial. The first part contains a detailed description about the underlying logic of ratio groups. However, if you are only interested in a particular (common) use case of a ratio group, such as seeding torrents to a specified ratio, you can skip to the example ratio groups that I listed in the second part. You can easily amend them to your own needs.

2. How do ratio groups work?

Each ratio group consists of 4 different conditions ( Min,% / Max,% / UL,MB / Time,h ) and an action. Whether the action of a ratio group will be triggered depends on which conditions have been satisfied. Whether an individual condition has been satisfied (for a particular torrent) depends on either
    • how much has been uploaded in percentage (Min,% and Max,%) or
    • how much has been uploaded in MB (UL,MB) or
    • how many hours the torrent has been seeded (Time,h)

For the sake of simplicity, these four conditions can be put in two different groups:

The Min,% and UL,MB conditions (mandatory)
    These conditions are "packaged together". That means only if both conditions have been satisfied, the action will be triggered. One condition alone doesn't suffice.

The Max,% and Time,h conditions (optional)
    Each of these condition is independend from all other conditions. That means, as soon as one of Max,% or Time,h is satisfied, the action will be triggered, regardless of whether the other conditions are satisfied or not. So these are hard limits. You can turn the Max,% condition off with "0" and the Time,h conditions with "-1".

The following table shows which combinations of satifsied conditions will trigger the selected action

Min,%
    Max,% UL,MB Time,h Action triggered
    x
    x
    x
    x
    No

x
    x
    x
    No
    x
    x

x
    No

x

x
    Yes
    x x x Yes
    x x x Yes
    = condition has been satisfied
    x = condition has not been satisfied or is turned off

Note that there are limits to what you can do with ratio groups. For example, you cannot require a torrent to have both a minimum ratio and a minimum seed time. However, if you need such conditions you can use another tool such as rtcontrol.

A ratio group / torrent size example

Here is an example that shows after how much uploaded MB the action of a particular ratio group is triggered for torrents with different sizes. The Time condition has not been set (-1) for this example ratio group.

Example ratio group

Min %
    Max % UL,MB Time,h
    100 200 500 -1
    Torrent size 700 MB
    Action trigerred after 700 MB has been uploaded
    Reason the Min 100% upload (700 MB) and UL,MB (500 MB) conditions are both satisfied
    Torrent size 350 MB
    Action trigerred after 500 MB has been uploaded
    Reason the Min 100% upload (350 MB) and UL,MB (500 MB) conditions are both satisfied
    Torrent size 100 MB
    Action trigerred after 200 MB has been uploaded
    Reason the Max 200% upload (200 MB) condition has been satisfied

3. Ratio groups examples

These are examples of commonly used ratio groups which you can easily amend to your own needs.

Example 1

Torrents should stop always after reaching a 2.5 ratio

Min %
    Max % UL,MB Time,h
    250 250 any value -1
    If Min % = Max % then the UL,MB condition has (practically) no effect. The Time,h condition has to be turned off (-1).

Alternatively you can specify the following conditions

Min %
    Max % UL,MB Time,h
    250 0 0 -1
    In this case the UL,MB condition (0 MB upload) is always satisfied. So as soon as the torrent reaches a 2.5 ratio the action will be triggered.

Example 2

Torrents should stop always after 48 hours seeding regardless of how much (or little) has been uploaded

Min %
    Max % UL,MB Time,h
    1000000 0 any value 48
    Set the Min % condition to a very high value that is very unlikely to be reached by any torrent. This will (practically) turn both the Min % and the UL,MB condition off. So the only remaining relevant condition is the Time,h condition.

Example 3

Torrents should not longer seed than 48 hours and should not have a ratio greater than 1.5

Min %
    Max % UL, MB Time, h
    150 0 0 48
    The Time,h condition sets the maximum seed duration in hours. However, the action will be triggered before 48 hours have been passed if the torrent reaches a 1.5 ratio.
    Last edited by cfpe; June 20, 2015, 02:08 PM.

sigpic
    Sharing together - now and forever

Great work on this tut.

There is so much flexibility with Ratio Groups, from an automation perspective. This should demystify the process for most who read and use it.

Comment

Great tutorial, but I think this should be moved to the Seedbox Tutorials section.

Comment

Nice job. I see a lot of questions about this on a fairly regular basis, so this should prove helpful. Cheers!
        Thanks to the powers that be for VIP

Comment

Many thanks for this tuto, it's pretty well explained and also well done for seedtime's tip !
          I have to admit group ratio setting t's such a pain for me, i mean was :P

Comment

Have to agree with Pidoom, it was a pain. My seedbox provider gave a really "basic" description that really didn't explain anything. This explains what I need!

Comment

thank u very much for this tutorial

Comment

Thanks cfpe That clarified a few things for me and was helpful Grats

Comment

Thanks cfpe this was really useful.

I've been having trouble with torrents 'automagically' flipping to different states - this makes it very clear why and now I've resolved my issues (hooray!)

Comment

This helped fill in the blanks for me in a big way. Thanks!!!

Comment

this was really helpful thanks.

all of that makes perfect sense the thing im struggling with now is the the Action category for the ratio rules. When the requirments have been meet for a torrent i want the torrent removed and delete. To do that do i want to "Remove Data", "Remove" OR "Stop and clear group"????

and what's are all the "Set channel up16", "Set Channel up32" and so on?

Last thing, is there a thread on how to use the ratio manager plugin?

thanks for the tutorial.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon01x View Post
                        the thing im struggling with now is the the Action category for the ratio rules. When the requirments have been meet for a torrent i want the torrent removed and delete. To do that do i want to "Remove Data", "Remove" OR "Stop and clear group"????
                        Here are the meanings of the actions:

Stop: stop seeding the torrent
                        Stop & clear group: stop torrent and remove the ratio group from the torrent
                        Remove: remove the torrent but keep the data on the seedbox
                        Remove data: remove the torrent and its data on the seedbox

what's are all the "Set channel up16", "Set Channel up32" and so on?
                        Channels can be used to limit the speed for one torrent or a group of torrents that are associated to a particular channel. So if you assign e.g. the predefined channel "up16" to two different torrents, these won't upload faster than 16 kbyte/s together. Note that you can change all the the predefined channels to your liking.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cfpe View Post
                          Here are the meanings of the actions:

Stop: stop seeding the torrent
                          Stop & clear group: stop torrent and remove the ratio group from the torrent
                          Remove: remove the torrent but keep the data on the seedbox
                          Remove data: remove the torrent and its data on the seedbox

Channels can be used to limit the speed for one torrent or a group of torrents that are associated to a particular channel. So if you assign e.g. the predefined channel "up16" to two different torrents, these won't upload faster than 16 kbyte/s together. Note that you can change all the the predefined channels to your liking.
                          thanks for clearing that up cfpe. out of curiosity, with the stop and clear group action why would you want to remove the ratio group from the torrent. If the requirements have been met and the torrent has stopped why would it matter if its still in the ratio group?

its simple when after someone has explained it all but i feel like it could have been done simpler.

with the ratio manager plugin, what's the meaning behind all the IF options?

thanks for the help dude :D

Comment

out of curiosity, with the stop and clear group action why would you want to remove the ratio group from the torrent. If the requirements have been met and the torrent has stopped why would it matter if its still in the ratio group?
                            That's a good question ^^ The only benefit I can think of is if you - for whatever reason - decide some time after the torrent has been stopped by rutorent to start seeding that torrent again without any ratio restrictions. Because in this case, if the torrent would be still in a ratio group, you would need to remove the ratio group manually as otherwise the torrent would be automatically stopped again shortly after you started it.

its simple when after someone has explained it all but i feel like it could have been done simpler.
                            I agree. The ratio groups as implement now have a very bad usability. Unfortunately, the documentation isn't much better.. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Btw, I'm not aware of such IF option you mentioned. Where are these located?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cfpe View Post
                              I agree. The ratio groups as implement now have a very bad usability. Unfortunately, the documentation isn't much better.. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Btw, I'm not aware of such IF option you mentioned. Where are these located?

here are the IF options i was talking about. there in the ratio manager plugin

Comment

Working...
                              X