What is your experience with hetzner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your experience with hetzner?

I'm considering getting a hetzner box. The prices are extremely attractive.
    If tried it maybe you can give me you opinion about it.

I'm comfortable with managing my own linux server. So that's not an issue.

What the network speed like? They advertise 1Gpbs.
    Other points to consider?

The network speed is mentioned in the "Guaranteed Bandwidth" column under "Hardware" in the order page. They will tell 200Mbps or 1Gbps guaranteed on that page along with the transfer limit. However you need to be careful if you are using Plex Media Server. Due to the way Plex works, Hetzner sometimes detect it as Network attacks and may ask you to stop the service. But that has happened in a very few cases. You can check reddit for that. Also stay away from public trackers. They will ask you to remove content if they get any notice.

Comment

Regarding Hetzner few things you should consider

Originally posted by smallgoat View Post
      The network speed is mentioned in the "Guaranteed Bandwidth" column under "Hardware" in the order page. They will tell 200Mbps or 1Gbps guaranteed on that page along with the transfer limit. However you need to be careful if you are using Plex Media Server. Due to the way Plex works, Hetzner sometimes detect it as Network attacks and may ask you to stop the service. But that has happened in a very few cases. You can check reddit for that. Also stay away from public trackers. They will ask you to remove content if they get any notice.
      Hi few things you should consider before getting servers from hetzner.

1. They are located in Germany and peering is not the best in German networks In terms of peering I would say NL servers then French Servers and then German Servers.

2. They have a fir usage policy for only 20 Tb once you exceed that the speed is 100 mbps or so and it will remain constant that way next month as well , so yeah be aware of that.

3. Though a lot of people use them for seedboxes they have a very strict policy for complaints maybe German laws make them comply to such strict norms few complaints and your server can get suspended.

4. The web panel is good with reset and reinstall but older OS and visualization like Proxmox are not supported that well and support wont help you much with any of the setups though they have a good knowledge base.

5. I would rather recommend getting servers from online.net if you can afford a bit more(they are quite cheap as well) , my experience has been much better with them.

If you need any more information let me know.

Comment

I will just add to above:

1. They are located in Germany and peering is not the best in German networks In terms of peering I would say NL servers then French Servers and then German Servers. Peering to US is not great. Ratio building with Deluge with itconfig plugin does wonders on this one.

2. They have a fair usage policy for only 20 Tb once you exceed that the speed is 100 mbps or so and it will remain constant that way next month as well , so yeah be aware of that.
        That's 20Tb of upload only, download is unlimited, And they will perma limit you to 10 Mbps. Set warning limits , I used to set those for a Tb a day warnings.

3. Though a lot of people use them for seedboxes they have a very strict policy for complaints maybe German laws make them comply to such strict norms few complaints and your server can get suspended. They send you a notice which you might get if you use public trackers, still remove the file and let them know. Mind you running a torrent client is in non-compliance of their AUS, but they dont snoop around your server.

4. The web panel is good with reset and reinstall but older OS and visualization like Proxmox are not supported that well and support wont help you much with any of the setups though they have a good knowledge base. True that.

5. I would rather recommend getting servers from online.net if you can afford a bit more(they are quite cheap as well) , my experience has been much better with them.
        I would rather suggest to go with hetzner (2x3TB) if you can afford them, they were cheaper back in the day at 25Euro, now they are 33Euro at max.

WIth the i7 and Ram available, you can run a virtualbox with win7/teamviewer with no lags. One of the best machines if you get into video encoding. Peering is an issue here, this can be handled with a VPS near your area and routing traffic through this VPS.
        RIP WHAT

Comment

Originally posted by danny View Post
          they were cheaper back in the day at 25Euro, now they are 33Euro at max.
          For example: It would be permanently 25 EURO for me if i buy with 25 Euro ?
          because everytime there is different detail of price .
          thank you

Comment

yes speeder
            if u pay say xx euro initially, as long as u gonna renew the same one , it would be same price

Comment

Originally posted by MrG.A View Post
              yes speeder
              if u pay say xx euro initially, as long as u gonna renew the same one , it would be same price
              Oh its nice ,
              i have an eye at auction site but dunno when price will go down .
              thank you MrG.A

Comment

don't count on it
                the price range more/less would be approx 29 euro anyway..
                used to be less.not anymore
                i would buy now..it's a bit less..

Comment

Originally posted by MrG.A View Post
                  don't count on it
                  the price range more/less would be approx 29 euro anyway..
                  used to be less.not anymore
                  i would buy now..it's a bit less..
                  That's true , but i don't need to hurry becoz i have online.net at this time and will wait more .

Comment

I used them for a month last year. After going through hoops to get the server in the first place (it's felt creepy giving tons of ID to them), they were quite good. But something happened to the server hardware and after a lot of back and forth it took about a week or 2 to resolve. They still wanted us to pay for the down-time so we left.

Comment

I was wondering about that. I'm using plex. I got the following mail from hetzner which they in turn got from German BSI. If you look at the service they refer to at the bottom it looks like DLNA (UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50 Platinum/1.0.4.11) so I assume it's plex.

--
                      Dear Sir or Madam,

the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) is a network protocol
                      for advertisement and discovery of network services and presence
                      information. SSDP is the basis of the discovery protocol of
                      Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). SSDP usually uses port 1900/udp.

In the past months, systems responding to SSDP requests from the
                      Internet have been increasingly abused for participating in
                      DDoS reflection/amplification attacks.

The Shadowserver 'Open SSDP Scanning Project' identifies systems
                      responding to SSDP requests from the Internet which can be abused
                      for DDoS reflection/amplification attacks attacks if no further
                      countermeasures have been implemented.

Shadowserver provides CERT-Bund with the test results for IP addresses
                      hosted in Germany for notifying the owners of the affected systems.
                      Futher information on the tests run by Shadowserver is available
                      at [2].

Please find below a list of affected systems hosted on your network.
                      The timestamp (timezone UTC) indicates when the system was tested
                      and responded to SSDP requests from the Internet.

We would like to ask you to check this issue and take appropriate
                      steps to secure the SSDP services on the affected systems or
                      notify your customers accordingly.

If you have recently solved the issue but received this notification
                      again, please note the timestamp included below. You should not
                      receive any further notifications with timestamps after the issue
                      has been solved.

References:

[1] Wikipedia: Simple Service Discovery Protocol
                      <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol>
                      [2] Shadowserver: Open SSDP Scanning Project
                      <https://ssdpscan.shadowserver.org/>
                      [3] Arbor Networks: Zunahme von DDoS-Angriffen mittels SSDP
                      <News and Press Releases - Arbor Networks
                      recent-press-releases/5283-arbor-networks-atlas-data-shows-
                      reflection-ddos-attacks-continue-to-be-significant-in-q3-2014>
                      [4] Sucuri: Quick Analysis of a DDoS Attack Using SSDP
                      <Quick Analysis of a DDoS Attack Using SSDP - Sucuri Blog
                      using-ssdp.html>
                      [5] US-CERT: UDP-based Amplification Attacks
                      <https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-017A>

This message is digitally signed using PGP.
                      Details on the signature key used are available on our website at:
                      <https://www.cert-bund.de/reports-sig>

Please note:
                      This is an automatically generated message.
                      Replying to the sender address is not possible.
                      In case of questions, please contact .

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Affected systems on your network:

Format: ASN | IP address | Timestamp (UTC) | SSDP server
                      24940 | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx | 2016-03-21 09:33:41 | UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50 Platinum/1.0.4.11

Kind regards
                      Team CERT-Bund

Bundesamt fr Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI)
                      Federal Office for Information Security
                      Referat C21 - CERT-Bund
                      Godesberger Allee 185-189, D-53175 Bonn, Germany
                      Last edited by 3lr0nd; March 25, 2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danny View Post
                        I will just add to above:

1. They are located in Germany and peering is not the best in German networks In terms of peering I would say NL servers then French Servers and then German Servers. Peering to US is not great. Ratio building with Deluge with itconfig plugin does wonders on this one.

2. They have a fair usage policy for only 20 Tb once you exceed that the speed is 100 mbps or so and it will remain constant that way next month as well , so yeah be aware of that.
                        That's 20Tb of upload only, download is unlimited, And they will perma limit you to 10 Mbps. Set warning limits , I used to set those for a Tb a day warnings.

3. Though a lot of people use them for seedboxes they have a very strict policy for complaints maybe German laws make them comply to such strict norms few complaints and your server can get suspended. They send you a notice which you might get if you use public trackers, still remove the file and let them know. Mind you running a torrent client is in non-compliance of their AUS, but they dont snoop around your server.

4. The web panel is good with reset and reinstall but older OS and visualization like Proxmox are not supported that well and support wont help you much with any of the setups though they have a good knowledge base. True that.

I would rather suggest to go with hetzner (2x3TB) if you can afford them, they were cheaper back in the day at 25Euro, now they are 33Euro at max.

WIth the i7 and Ram available, you can run a virtualbox with win7/teamviewer with no lags. One of the best machines if you get into video encoding. Peering is an issue here, this can be handled with a VPS near your area and routing traffic through this VPS.
                        Hi [MENTION=55687]danny[/MENTION] can you explain more about the VPS solution you suggest or point me somewhere to learn more about that route?
                        I'm going to do some comparing with bytesized soon comparing seeding quality.

Comment

@3lr0nd - Thanks for posting the response of Hetzner. This is actually a bit of a mood killer. Most of the times nothing happens, but then you never know how the network will work up. I have used Plex on Hetzner servers with no issues, but I stopped that when I found out that they actually terminated the services of a couple of users for this very purpose.

Comment

@3lr0nd - Thanks for posting the response of Hetzner. This is actually a bit of a mood killer. Most of the times nothing happens, but then you never know how the network will work up. I have used Plex on Hetzner servers with no issues, but I stopped that when I found out that they actually terminated the services of a couple of users for this very purpose.
                            I have told them that the service in question is plex and clearly nor related to my server participating in a DDoS attack and pointed them to plex docs explaining how the plex server uses SSDP for DLNA discovery. The service name also clearly indicates a media related service if you look at the response letter. DLNA is in the name. I will post their reply here. I will probably find another provider if they don't allow me to run plex because it's detected as a DDoS service.

Comment

from my experience those notes are usually just , "notes"
                              they don't block or anything ..
                              unless it is say DMCAs they get as any other providers
                              then they ask u to simply remove the "problematic" file/s and all is k
                              nothing u should worry about..

also recall germans are bit more strict in their nature..yes they "like" to be more thorough
                              u can rest assured.you are not the only person that use plex on their servers and not gonna be the last 1 ,,

Comment

Working...
                              X