First Dedi suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dedi suggestions

I'm looking to get my first dedicated server and am looking for suggestions. The best option I've found for what I need is the KS-3. I'd like at least 1 TB of space, 8 gigs or ram. I'm planning on trying to set up an IRC server, a plex server, a TOR relay, and of course seeding.

In addition to recommendations on servers I'd also like recommendations on operating systems and any additional software that I should set up.

What is your budget?

I can really recommend the SYS-IP2 from soyoustart (OVH): http://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/ This thing is a beast! Really fast for hashing big torrents and plenty of RAM for additional software.

If you want to pay less, I can recommend the Dedibox XC from online.net: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc You can find a discussion about this Server and my experience with it here: http://www.torrent-invites.com/showthread.php?t=275753

Software I'm Running: Apache, rtorrent, irssi, Plex, Subsonic, btsync, vnstat

Comment

Yeah really depends on your budget,

Likely overkill but if you're after affordable 10gig servers I can recommend LeaseVPS, I've had a Dedicated1 for around 6 months, no issues, network as expected

http://www.leasevps.com/plans.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chook View Post
        Yeah really depends on your budget,

Likely overkill but if you're after affordable 10gig servers I can recommend LeaseVPS, I've had a Dedicated1 for around 6 months, no issues, network as expected

http://www.leasevps.com/plans.html
        You can get wayyy better config 'dedicated' servers with 1gbps unmetered connections from OVH & online.net at the same prices..
        Also Leaseweb 100TB is around the same price range..

LeaseVPS is comparitively overpriced..

Comment

Originally posted by baikonur View Post
          You can get wayyy better config 'dedicated' servers with 1gbps unmetered connections from OVH & online.net at the same prices..
          Also Leaseweb 100TB is around the same price range..

LeaseVPS is comparitively overpriced..

Yeah I had a leaseweb dedi for years, I was paying 172 euro a month for a HP DL180 (Low spec Proliant) on a 100TB plan with 1gig, but I never used much more the 30TB a month

As far as I know OVH offer gig to their network but only 300mbit outside, unless of course you want to pay more. it's the same with 10gig servers, only 3gig guaranteed

I haven't looked at OVH for years due to this, might be good if you only want a seedbox but I use the server for other things and I often see bursts up-to 7gig with leasevps,

in fact this month I already received a warning for data from leasevps and had get pay for another 100TB and slow my upload down to keep under the 130TB

[IMG] [/IMG]

LeaseVPS would be better if they opened their own datacenter ha ha, I guess they just have racks in a DC, hope I don't get burned like I did with rapidspeeds way back when :-(

Chook

Comment

I decided on the Dedibox XC from online.net, this is just for personal use so I don't really see the need to get something much stronger yet. I started with Debian so we'll see how that goes. I have experience with linux distros but this is my first experience trying to use/setup a server so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that it will be a learning experience and not a terrible catastrophe! My attitude going into it is basically "what could I possible break?" hopefully nothing... Worst case scenario I just re-install right? When they say unmetered traffic there are no hidden stipulations right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chook View Post
              Yeah I had a leaseweb dedi for years, I was paying 172 euro a month for a HP DL180 (Low spec Proliant) on a 100TB plan with 1gig, but I never used much more the 30TB a month

As far as I know OVH offer gig to their network but only 300mbit outside, unless of course you want to pay more. it's the same with 10gig servers, only 3gig guaranteed

I haven't looked at OVH for years due to this, might be good if you only want a seedbox but I use the server for other things and I often see bursts up-to 7gig with leasevps,

in fact this month I already received a warning for data from leasevps and had get pay for another 100TB and slow my upload down to keep under the 130TB

[IMG] [/IMG]

LeaseVPS would be better if they opened their own datacenter ha ha, I guess they just have racks in a DC, hope I don't get burned like I did with rapidspeeds way back when :-(

Chook
              OVH has 500mbps guaranteed not 300mbps.. Also 1gbps burst is available for specific periods.. And it costs EUR 37.5 for guaranteed 1gbps line..

I think its more important to have multiple TB HDDs and unmetered 1gbps rather than 10gbps which you will barely use also limited to 30TB with barely 2TB HDD...

Having an own DC is an expensive proposition.. Having an own rack in a DC is pretty good.. The resellers are the ones we have to worry about..
              Rapidspeeds were a Leaseweb reseller.. They took servers and bandwidth on rent in bulk from Leaseweb..
              They did not co-locate their own machines in a DC..

Comment

yeah I only asked a month or so ago about more disk, apparently I can have 20 sas drives connected to my blade, I don't know what they are using to offer that, I only have the default 2x 1TB

That's enough form me on this thread, I feel like I've hijacked it ha ha

chook
                BladeServers.eu
                Last edited by BladeServers.eu; October 11, 2014, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alf40k View Post
                  I decided on the Dedibox XC from online.net, this is just for personal use so I don't really see the need to get something much stronger yet. I started with Debian so we'll see how that goes. I have experience with linux distros but this is my first experience trying to use/setup a server so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that it will be a learning experience and not a terrible catastrophe! My attitude going into it is basically "what could I possible break?" hopefully nothing... Worst case scenario I just re-install right? When they say unmetered traffic there are no hidden stipulations right?
                  Their traffic is indeed unmetered, but if you somehow manage to use more than 150mbit (20MB/s) inbound or outbound for prolonged periods of time, their staff will warn you to stay within the 150mbit limit that came with the server or purchase the PATATE option which lets you utilize the full network throughput that server is capable of.
                  In layman's terms, if you're a light p2p user, you're fine, if you're a heavy p2p user, be prepared to be warned about it.

Comment

Originally posted by InTheShadows View Post
                    Their traffic is indeed unmetered, but if you somehow manage to use more than 150mbit (20MB/s) inbound or outbound for prolonged periods of time, their staff will warn you to stay within the 150mbit limit that came with the server or purchase the PATATE option which lets you utilize the full network throughput that server is capable of.
                    In layman's terms, if you're a light p2p user, you're fine, if you're a heavy p2p user, be prepared to be warned about it.

They have been doing this more and more often. I would go with a soyoustart server due to the fact that I have not heard of this ever happening for using the network.

Comment

Originally posted by alf40k View Post
                      I'm looking to get my first dedicated server and am looking for suggestions. The best option I've found for what I need is the KS-3. I'd like at least 1 TB of space, 8 gigs or ram. I'm planning on trying to set up an IRC server, a plex server, a TOR relay, and of course seeding.

In addition to recommendations on servers I'd also like recommendations on operating systems and any additional software that I should set up.
                      I've hunted round numerous different providers and settled on a vps from zxhost.Co.uk. its unlimited bandwidth plus on a 1gb connection. I often get 80-90mb/sec download and upload speeds. So so cheap for what you get. I have a full 8 core machine 16gb ram and 20 to of storage and another with 2 cores and 6gb ram and 1tb storage. Been able to have 16 720p concurrent streams of a mix of direct play and transcodes and still had more juice in the tank.

Let me know exactly what your looking to spend and I can speak to them there and sort u out with a deal

Comment

Working...
                      X