Seedbox vs fast home connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seedbox vs fast home connection

What do you think about just doing a fast home connection versus paying the extra for a decent seedbox? My isp has packages that go up to 100 Mbps down with 50 Mbps up for around $75/mth. I've had seedboxes in the past for as high as $60/mth on top of my home connection but I always keep going back to the point of letting the subscriptions run out because of the net cost of both the seedbox and the isp service.

Obviously the seedbox is a degree of separation from my home for seeding but is it really worth it when you can get great fiber services for reasonable prices?

Only you can really decide if it is worth it or not.

If your home connection is fine and you can get by with it, use it. If you want to be able to seed 24/7, a seedbox may be worth it so you don't have to leave your PC on all the time.

Comment

I use my Mac as a media center for the house and for Web Access by the plex app so it's always on anyway. The one reason I like a seedbox is the disk space for items that I share but have no intention of using, basically just to improve my ratio. What is your setup and data transfer amount per month?

Comment

Seeding from home also has some advantages. You are not limited by storage space and hence can seed lots of stuff easily.

Home seeding has disadvantages like 24/7 power consumption, less upload speed, ISP throttling/interference, etc

In the end it all comes down to what you want, what works for you and what you can afford.

Comment

Well..Seedbox / VPS / Dedi Server are more secure. Because other users can no see your home IP in peer list. Simply because you have different ip from seedbox.

However. If you have fast home connection it is better in usability. You can do repacks of games and do quickly upload that game after rls. You can download from servers nad public trackers and etc...You can test files on you PC if they are OK. (crack is ok, video is ok and etc.)

It depends of what you want a if you are uploader and what do you uploading. If you uploading.

So, some nice NAS with fast internet is your home "seedbox"

Btw 100 Mbit / 50 Mbit for 75 USD is expensive. In Czech Republic we can have 1000 Mbit / 500 Mbit for 50 USD. So i guess seedbox is cheaper. Or this dedi looks good: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-s...overview-perso and it is cheap. + you do not need to use seedbox for 365 days. Just pay it and if you have good settings your ratio will be growing fast and you will have good buffer.
          Last edited by Lachtan; September 13, 2014, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for te opinions. Wow that is an amazing service for the price in the Czech Republic. I live in Canada and we are always behind Europe and Asia with respect to Internet service, and many other areas of common sense.

Comment

You do realise that not everyone has 100mbps connection option in the area they live in. I understand you have that option then good for you, but others use a seedbox to seed 24/7 large files. More security, you don't have to occupy your own home bandwith all the time and make the internet slower when browsing, various other reasons are there as well.
              sigpic
              A proud Torrent-Invite Introduction Crew.
              If you need help with anything, just send me a pm,

Comment

We have 150mbps BB at home and still use seedboxes. When you can get a 100mbps 2TB dedicated Kimsufi for less than 10 a month i don't see any reason not to tbh. It's fast enough to stream everything off direct into XBMC, it can be left running 24/7, it keeps our copious torrenting habits secret from our ISP and most of all gives peace of mind. I have other faster servers but they're just for ratio building, the kimsufi is more than enough for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisg77 View Post
                  Thanks for te opinions. Wow that is an amazing service for the price in the Czech Republic. I live in Canada and we are always behind Europe and Asia with respect to Internet service, and many other areas of common sense.
                  You have yummy Maple butter! And we do not :(

Plus that fast internet is only in some part of city. But price of the internet are cheaper in Czech Republic than in Canada. But it is logical. Canada is richer country and wages are better than in Czech Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachtan View Post
                    Well..Seedbox / VPS / Dedi Server are more secure. Because other users can no see your home IP in peer list. Simply because you have different ip from seedbox.

However. If you have fast home connection it is better in usability. You can do repacks of games and do quickly upload that game after rls. You can download from servers nad public trackers and etc...You can test files on you PC if they are OK. (crack is ok, video is ok and etc.)

It depends of what you want a if you are uploader and what do you uploading. If you uploading.

So, some nice NAS with fast internet is your home "seedbox"

Btw 100 Mbit / 50 Mbit for 75 USD is expensive. In Czech Republic we can have 1000 Mbit / 500 Mbit for 50 USD. So i guess seedbox is cheaper. Or this dedi looks good: http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-s...overview-perso and it is cheap. + you do not need to use seedbox for 365 days. Just pay it and if you have good settings your ratio will be growing fast and you will have good buffer.
                    very expensive , here in romania i pay 13 euro for 1gbit/100mbps

also a seedbox is good to have if you want 24/7 seeding and burst your upload

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkKnightR View Post
                      You do realise that not everyone has 100mbps connection option in the area they live in. I understand you have that option then good for you, but others use a seedbox to seed 24/7 large files. More security, you don't have to occupy your own home bandwith all the time and make the internet slower when browsing, various other reasons are there as well.
                      my home internet it's like 99,99% of the speed torrents and the rest for the rest

Comment

Here in CH a 300Mbit down 30 Mbit up connection is about $50/M so I have a seedbox because of the poor upload speed.
                        sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=271620]zbat[/MENTION]" romania i pay 13 euro for 1gbit/100mbps"wow, in my country Indonesia, I pay around 24 euro for speed 4605kbps downstream and 765 upstream.. , wish we have better speed here compare to the price we pay.

Comment

Australia I pay $99/month for 5-6mbps. Unlimited download and upload. That tells you how crap we are, some areas do have NBN though with 100mbps connection but the majority don't.
                            sigpic
                            A proud Torrent-Invite Introduction Crew.
                            If you need help with anything, just send me a pm,

Comment

I'm using my home speed. I have an 100Mbit/100Mbit line via fiber, so I actually get the speeds mentioned. This cost around EUR 40,= p/month, which is acceptable for me. Also, I have a NAS (the Synology DS412+) which I use for downloading and storage and other stuff. I don't shut down the NAS, once in a while a reboot, so it's pretty much seeding all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X