Shared vs. Dedicated connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared vs. Dedicated connection

So I'm looking at new seedboxes through my current provider (https://tal0ne.co.uk) I am wondering which I will be better with though, 1gbps uplink shared connection with 10 users or 150mbps uplink dedicated? Both plans have 1gbps shared downlink.

I would personally go for the dedicated server if there isn't much of a price difference. The problem with the shared server is that you'll have degraded performance due to high cpu usage which could lead to the server becoming unstable. Another problem with the shared server is that all the users would be using the same IP address which could lead to problems should those users be on the same private tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by cryers View Post
      I would personally go for the dedicated server if there isn't much of a price difference. The problem with the shared server is that you'll have degraded performance due to high cpu usage which could lead to the server becoming unstable. Another problem with the shared server is that all the users would be using the same IP address which could lead to problems should those users be on the same private tracker.
      Both are shared its just that one plan has a dedicated uplink per user to where the other plan is a shared uplink. Both are the same price though.

Comment

Then definitely go with the dedicated. Chances are the server won't bog down but if it's the same price might as well go with the better service option

Comment

The question you have to ask yourself is that do you want sustained MAX upload speeds?

150mbps option would be better for sustained upload speeds of ~18.5MB/s as it is dedicated.

While in 1gbps you can get speeds of upto 50MB/s (personal experience with a shared tal0ne server - 7 users)
          But sustained upload speeds (more than 10-15 mins) you will drop to around 10-14MB/s

So in the end it all depends on what you want out of your connection.

Comment

Originally posted by baikonur View Post
            The question you have to ask yourself is that do you want sustained MAX upload speeds?

150mbps option would be better for sustained upload speeds of ~18.5MB/s as it is dedicated.

While in 1gbps you can get speeds of upto 50MB/s (personal experience with a shared tal0ne server - 7 users)
            But sustained upload speeds (more than 10-15 mins) you will drop to around 10-14MB/s

So in the end it all depends on what you want out of your connection.
            Thats a good point. Right now I'm on the 250mbps shared plan with 8 users and see spurts of 75mbps upload but on average I get about 15-20mbps upload when seeding a lot of files. For 1/2 files I will get maybe 5-10mbps steady.

Comment

Originally posted by JKRolling View Post
              Thats a good point. Right now I'm on the 250mbps shared plan with 8 users and see spurts of 75mbps upload but on average I get about 15-20mbps upload when seeding a lot of files. For 1/2 files I will get maybe 5-10mbps steady.
              Precisely my point.

If you are seeding a lot of high demand files you will need good sustained speeds instead of good shared speeds.

Shared speeds are better only for seeding new torrents as you get a lot of upload in a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by cryers View Post
                some of the shared servers have dedicated ip's either included or purchased for extra, I have my own ip on a shared server.

Comment

I'd personally go for a shared 1 gbps as you can get +100 MB/s and in worst case it would deliver a sustained 10-20 MB/s easily while the dedicated line you're limited to 15-18 MB/s all the time. So depressing but it's your choice anyway.

Comment

dedicated is you have the money if you want cheap and good use shared

Comment

Working...
                    X