When do I need a seedbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do I need a seedbox?

I apologize if this isn't the place for this question or if it has been asked and answered before. I did some poking around in the forums and haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

I've got a decent home connection, running about 58mb/s down and 35mb/s up, and I have a good 500-700gb of drive space reserved for torrents. I feel like the setup is good to join some private trackers I'm on three now, though only satisfied with two and build a decent ratio so I could hopefully one day get onto some of my dream trackers for cinema.

As for my uploads, however, despite my speeds being so high, I rarely see them climb on my end above the 500kb/s range, and more often than not they're much lower. My download times often creep up to near 7mb/s, which is still far shy of the 58mb/s I'm supposed to be capable of.

I'm sure this is a rather noob question, but I'm still something of a noob, so forgive me that, but would there be value in getting a seedbox with greatly boosted speeds and more available drive space if I'm not even making a dent in the speed caps I'm supposed to already have?

Thanks in advance!

With a seedbox you will be able to seed 24/7 without leaving your PC on. Also, when downloading files from my seedbox I almost always hit my top internet speed, which I never even came close to with uTorrent.

That said, if you can survive on private trackers with your home connection and don't mind only seeding when your PC is on, or leaving it on, have at it! :)

Comment

I'd just check in case there's something wrong on your end first as you connection is more than ample. Do you use an approved client ? (uTorrent 2.2.1) is always a safe bet. Make sure yuo have things like DHT turned off in your client. Are you getting those low speeds on brand new torrents that only have 1 seeder or are you only grabbing old ones?

Private trackers usually have guides to get you started with these things so follow one of them. If after everything you still get poor speeds then a seedbox could help you, it may be that your ISP shapes p2p traffic.

Comment

You need one to repair broken ratios, or to maintain slim ones. You need one for very large files or where the NrR/Bonus system means you need to seed many (large) files for a long time. And finally you need one to help prolong the life of your PC, meaning the seedbox is on 24/7 NOT your computer.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scotsmania View Post
          I'd just check in case there's something wrong on your end first as you connection is more than ample. Do you use an approved client ? (uTorrent 2.2.1) is always a safe bet. Make sure yuo have things like DHT turned off in your client. Are you getting those low speeds on brand new torrents that only have 1 seeder or are you only grabbing old ones?

Private trackers usually have guides to get you started with these things so follow one of them. If after everything you still get poor speeds then a seedbox could help you, it may be that your ISP shapes p2p traffic.
          I'm running uTorrent 1.8.4 on an iMac. I've disabled DHT and PEX. I have yet to crack the 1mb/s upload speed, even on fresh torrents when I'm one of the first seeders.

How can I find out if the ISP is throttling P2P?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Thanks, all, for the helpful responses.

Comment

Also, since you don't have to run your PC 24/7 you'll be saving on power costs.

Comment

I use one because my ISP has a data cap of 120 GB per month. There is no way I would be able to maintain a good ratio without getting dinged with overage fees all the time.

I will fortunately be switching soon because a much better provider has moved into my area, but this is a big limitation for a lot of people.

Comment

I managed just fine for years without a seedbox. My home internet was 75/35 (just upgraded upload speed, so it's different now). i never got great speeds either, but they were good. I left my computer on 24/7 to seed, and easily maintained good ratios. So while it's not necessary if you are willing to leave your computer on to maintain ratios, if you have the spare cash, I would definately suggest it. I started to think about the lifespan of my external drives and my computer being on all the time, and the cost of electricity running those all the time probably comes close to paying for the seedbox. Also, for the harder to get trackers, it seems like there's no chance of getting an invite without a seedbox.

Comment

Working...
                  X