Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seedboxes with massive internet connections. Any point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seedboxes with massive internet connections. Any point?

As I have probably mentioned in a few other threads, I currently use seedhost.eu and have always found them to be great even the very cheapest one.

Recently they sent me a 30% off discount code just as I happened to get drunk and I thought what the hell, and ordered their SH2 plan which has 20Gbps up and down. I should promise myself never to buy anything having had vodka.

Now although this is pretty good, I wouldnt say it was any better than their cheapest plan, and I got to thinking why.....

If you have a 1Gbits internet connection, you would upload at 100 Mbytes. Therefore a 10Gbits connection would mean 1000 Mbytes upload.

Now although the OS hard disk on my system (2 x SSD in Raid0) can hit 1000 Mbytes Im sure they arent using that and are more likely using a standard 3TB drive probably around 140 MB a second and that will be shared amongst several users. This would match my experience with this new box too, the fastest I have seen it upload so far is 110 ish MB.

So now I see that the seed box company with the vampire theme can upload / download at 20 Gb. So 2000 MB a second? Impossible! That still doesnt stop me from wanting to try it though haha

So what do you guys think? Have you tried the 20gbps boxes? Forgive me if I have mixed up my MBs and Mbs.

In my opinion I think this option is for people who don't really have a budget and/or are early adopters.

Reason for my opinion is that a connection like that is wasted on a box without unlimited bandwidth. Additionally, you really only get to see the benefits on the very initiation of that initial swarm of downloaders. After that how useful is it?

I'd be interested in seeing real world benchmarks on seeding many active files at once though, maybe I could reconsider my opinion pending further information.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMMOChampion View Post
      Reason for my opinion is that a connection like that is wasted on a box without unlimited bandwidth. Additionally, you really only get to see the benefits on the very initiation of that initial swarm of downloaders. After that how useful is it?
      I have to agree with you on that point. I rarely ever max out the upload bandwidth I have (500Mbps) and the only time this ever happen is at the very beginning of a new swarm.

So, based on this what point is there in paying for more bandwidth?
      My Giveaways My Requests
      None None

|
      |
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
      |
      |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
      would fuck a person in the ass
      and not even have the godda*n
      common courtesy to give him a
      reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
      '
      |
      |
      |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |
      |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

In a word, no.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
          In a word, no.
          Its not like you to say so little. :)

Comment

Originally posted by care71 View Post
            Its not like you to say so little. :)
            Sure?
            sigpic

Comment

The problem is the hardware doesn't have the power to maintain a 10gbit connection ,when on shared with another eg seedboxes.cc feral & seedhost
              the hdd can't go more than 200MB/s the ssd can teoretically go 1GB/s but very rare case the to whom to give that much speed ?

Comment

Your discounting caching to RAM. Disk speed isnt terribly important overall.

I have a server with a single platter that easily handles 1Gbps upload. It also have 64GB of RAM so the disks are mostly idle

In theory something popular could saturate that bandwidth.

But at the end of the day these shared servers have hundreds of users sharing their resources. They can claim speeds all they like but realistically the contention and workload on these servers is insane. They wont see those speeds.

At the end of the day order a slower dedi. Your going to get better results.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownPirate View Post
                  Your discounting caching to RAM. Disk speed isnt terribly important overall.

I have a server with a single platter that easily handles 1Gbps upload. It also have 64GB of RAM so the disks are mostly idle

In theory something popular could saturate that bandwidth.

But at the end of the day these shared servers have hundreds of users sharing their resources. They can claim speeds all they like but realistically the contention and workload on these servers is insane. They wont see those speeds.

At the end of the day order a slower dedi. Your going to get better results.
                  I don't know where you were looking but 10 users sharing 1 server is already a lot. Just saying.
                  My Giveaways My Requests
                  None None

|
                  |
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                  |
                  |

'
                  |
                  |
                  |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  |
                  |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

But 1Gbps is only 100 MB. (When I say only I mean in the context of a hard drive.)

A few years ago I did have a very powerful dedicated server with OVH for hosting game servers. I tried to configure it to seed, but the speeds were rubbish so I couldnt justify the time on it when a cheap seedhost.eu for 7 does a really good job.

You might be interested in reading my review, I have updated the seedhost.eu thread with the server refereed to in this thread.

Comment

But 1Gbps is only 100 MB. (When I say only I mean in the context of a hard drive.)

A few years ago I did have a very powerful dedicated server with OVH for hosting game servers. I tried to configure it to seed, but the speeds were rubbish so I couldnt justify the time on it when a cheap seedhost.eu for 7 does a really good job.

You might be interested in reading my review, I have updated the seedhost.eu thread with the server refereed to in this thread.
                      Actually 1Gbps is more like 120MBps but I guess that doesn't matter much.
                      Other than that I fully agree with you. These ultra fast speeds are rarely used.
                      My Giveaways My Requests
                      None None

|
                      |
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                      |
                      |

'
                      |
                      |
                      |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      |
                      |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

You are right. I just sort of thought in my head Im on 40Mb broadband and I down load at 4MB and then prorated it.

Funny you should say 120MB. But look at my review, and especially the screenshot.

http://www.torrent-invites.com/showt...=50871&page=14

Comment

You are right. I just sort of thought in my head Im on 40Mb broadband and I down load at 4MB and then prorated it.

Funny you should say 120MB. But look at my review, and especially the screenshot.

http://www.torrent-invites.com/showt...=50871&page=14
                          What a coincidence. Lol but even 120MB/s is ridiculously fast. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I couldn't recall many occasions where I would even be able to upload with such high speed.
                          My Giveaways My Requests
                          None None

|
                          |
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                          |
                          |

'
                          |
                          |
                          |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          |
                          |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
                            What a coincidence. Lol but even 120MB/s is ridiculously fast. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I couldn't recall many occasions where I would even be able to upload with such high speed.
                            Well.. Is it a coincidence when the server actually has a 10gbps connection? But yeah 120MB is nice, if only it stayed at the speed all the time lol

Comment

Well.. Is it a coincidence when the server actually has a 10gbps connection? But yeah 120MB is nice, if only it stayed at the speed all the time lol
                              I think the speed drop is more likely to be due to the swarm getting bigger than anything else.
                              My Giveaways My Requests
                              None None

|
                              |
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                              |
                              |