Yet again OVH changes contracts over night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet again OVH changes contracts over night

OVH has done it again, without any forewarning and notice they have changed the renewal terms.
    It is now impossible to renew for just couple of weeks, minimum renewal using the renew until date feature has been changed to 30 days minimum.

I'm sure there is plenty of people who use that feature to renew specific servers for just a week or two.
    This is to force minimal renewal of 1month, of the previous couple days minimum.

*Sigh* I can't wait when we get everything transferred out of OVH permanently.

Strange, both of my servers always had a 30 day minimum renewal. I always assumed that was standard.

Comment

Only if you use the normal renew option, with the one you can choose date to renew to you used to be able to renew even a few days at a time.

Comment

A little bit annoying indeed, makes it hard to migrate servers now :/

Comment

After the cap incident, I will never go back to ovh who changes their policy every fortnight, even if they sell their servers for $1, I will never get it, I rather get a mars bar.
          sigpic
          A proud Torrent-Invite Introduction Crew.
          If you need help with anything, just send me a pm,

Comment

lol well said DarkKnight, well said!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkKnightR View Post
              After the cap incident, I will never go back to ovh who changes their policy every fortnight, even if they sell their servers for $1, I will never get it, I rather get a mars bar.
              Can I get a Mars bar too?

Well said.
              Thanks to the powers that be for VIP

Comment

Double plus good. Mars Bar!!

Mars Bar Commercial "Big Crunchy Nuts" 1980 - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPlus View Post
                  Can I get a Mars bar too?

Well said.
                  sure buddy, we can get those little mini bars for 50 cents each and share them lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkKnightR View Post
                    Not many people understand risk and how to manage it, even less so when it comes to technical things like the internet or dedicated servers or whatever, but for those who do, $1 servers properly managed can be a goldmine ;)

Most people hurt by OVHs changing policies are operating on non-business margins and worse than that operating purely as resellers with no value add. Anyway, it is a good thing you realise you'll never get it and will stay away from OVH, I'd suggest that is a bright course of action that will save you trouble down the path, so indeed have a mars bar you're acting smarter than most!

Comment

Originally posted by JustSeed_It View Post
                      Not many people understand risk and how to manage it, even less so when it comes to technical things like the internet or dedicated servers or whatever, but for those who do, $1 servers properly managed can be a goldmine ;)

Most people hurt by OVHs changing policies are operating on non-business margins and worse than that operating purely as resellers with no value add. Anyway, it is a good thing you realise you'll never get it and will stay away from OVH, I'd suggest that is a bright course of action that will save you trouble down the path, so indeed have a mars bar you're acting smarter than most!

Once again at back at the conjecture game, and poor ones at that

In what universe does $1/month dedicated servers make sense? Certainly not the one I live in.

Here is a list of monthly expenses for a single dedicated server:

Amortize or lease hardware
                      Utilities ( Cooling & Power )
                      Operating Space (Rack in Building)
                      Bandwidth ( Backbone providers )
                      Staff (Support & Management)
                      Maintenance ( Building and Machines )
                      Taxes, fees and levies (eg Paypal, VAT, property taxes, etc )

Each of these charges are non-trivial, I suspect there are a whole load of trivial charges too. To have that be profitable, you would have to operate at such volumes to get below the $1 per machine level, you need a very large surface area to achieve that kind of spread. Financial analyst look at the "cost of the box" and compare that to price. Here a price even at extreme volumes would be difficult to black line.

If more people were to sit down and look at the numbers it would be clear the they are both unsustainable, and a fugassi, service that isn't what it appears to be ( for example, used remaindered blade servers, and watered down, stomped on bandwidth ).

The only way that (my conjecture) OVH is able to fund this is by having a large highly profitable business segment, that allow it to afford such low margins.

But all of that said, your level crossing once again misses the mark, it is outside the point that folks like me are making - and that is the attitude that OVH takes towards their customers is absurd, reflected in:

Cancelling Purchase Queue in toto
                      Changing Terms of Service
                      Changing Contract Terms
                      and, of course, Keeping the Money

With a Scumbag attitude, they have to offer the prices they do, because no one would buy from such an untrustworthy vendor otherwise....
                      Last edited by Chmuranet; August 24, 2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Just one question, really, why are you questioning how the prices make sense? They're selling it at that price, their hardware, their choice, I don't see a reason to question their decision to sell their server way below profit prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Weaselbuddha View Post

With a Scumbag attitude, they have to offer the prices they do, because no one would buy from such an untrustworthy vendor otherwise....
                          So true! The only reason we've stuck with them so long is the prices - only our own network & hardware can compete at those prices! Cutting a huge amount of middlemens and their shares is only viable option.

Now the recent price drop makes even our own hardware impossible to reach those prices, because bandwidth costs are higher than that, as our customer base IS high volume users.

Comment

Originally posted by NuCode View Post
                            So true! The only reason we've stuck with them so long is the prices - only our own network & hardware can compete at those prices! Cutting a huge amount of middlemens and their shares is only viable option.

Now the recent price drop makes even our own hardware impossible to reach those prices, because bandwidth costs are higher than that, as our customer base IS high volume users.
                            Just a quick question about pulsed media, has the super100 series been updated to a 1Gbps line, i remember you talking about it sometime back about upgrading it and stuff?
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry, not yet :(

Comment

Working...
                              X