Home made seed boxes ans NASes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made seed boxes ans NASes???

So I thinking about building one or both device from some of my PC parts.

Any suggestions on OSes and Apps?

What do most of you uses?

Ubuntu is fairly easy to get support on and should do the job. Depending on specs it could easily run a desktop if your uncomfortable with the CLI.

Deluge (Thin client) and Samaba (im guessing windows shares) would be two simple options until you decide to get really tricky.

Personally i have a Kubuntu (KDE desktop) machine action as a NAS and home torrent server. i run the torrent client headless and Samba shares. But it was a few hours setup machine im yet to really set up properly. Hell its only got a single 3TB HDD at the moment. Was pushed for time when it was built.

I recently added an LSI 9280 8e Raid Card and have two 16 bay SaS expanders i need to hookup plus 4x3TB drives to setup the first Raid. Once thats done im moving from Samba to NFS. So its far from project complete.

Comment

Keep me updated, I going to go down the same path. I have 3 x 2TB WD Green drives, Raid 5. I have the ISO for the Ubuntu Raid server and FreeNAS, and I going to do NFS.
      I bought this CoolMaster bay converter. It turns 3 x 5.25" Bays in to 4 x 3.5" bays with a fan.
      Keep me posted on your progress.

JimmyB

Comment

It all depends on your wishes. Though, I'm a bit concerned. Beside the fact that you could have answered the questions yourself by looking a bit around the other topics you also ask for an OS. I'm high in doubt you can "manage" the OS when u going to ask for a suggestion...

Anyways Debian/Ubuntu and r(u)torrent/Deluge are the ways to go. I personally prefer Debian + r(u)torrent.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Anon0511 View Post
          It all depends on your wishes. Though, I'm a bit concerned. Beside the fact that you could have answered the questions yourself by looking a bit around the other topics you also ask for an OS. I'm high in doubt you can "manage" the OS when u going to ask for a suggestion...

Anyways Debian/Ubuntu and r(u)torrent/Deluge are the ways to go. I personally prefer Debian + r(u)torrent.

Cheers
          What type of drives are you using?

Comment

I was thinking about building a seedbox myself from old computer parts but realised that the electricity cost of the computer was going to be quite expensive (going to be on 24/7 and electricity in Sweden quite expensive). Bought a NAS from netgear instead (readynas duo v2) which draws very little power, got slot for 4 HD and is perfect as a seedbox. It runs Linux with transmission remote as torrent client. All my devices at home also uses it as a media center as all movies and music is stored there.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
              What type of drives are you using?
              Usual 7200 RPM HDD's. No raid.

Comment

I am going to be doing the same thing. I was looking into 3x2tb HDD with a raid 5 running openfiler (linux) or owncloud. Then on my severs I was going to do proxmox so i can run many OS's on the same server and move them around based on loads.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGigu View Post
                  I was thinking about building a seedbox myself from old computer parts but realised that the electricity cost of the computer was going to be quite expensive (going to be on 24/7 and electricity in Sweden quite expensive). Bought a NAS from netgear instead (readynas duo v2) which draws very little power, got slot for 4 HD and is perfect as a seedbox. It runs Linux with transmission remote as torrent client. All my devices at home also uses it as a media center as all movies and music is stored there.
                  Well, I broke down and bought a 5 slot QNAP NAS box. I put 5 x 3TB Western Digital (WD) Red drives into it and it works great. Small, quiet, and power wise. I am going to be eating RAMEM noddles for the next 6 months but it was worth it.

Comment

Working...
                  X