X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seedboxes at home

Hello,

Are there any guys which have seedboxes at home,
    Just of course the regular seedboxes which are true servers but the ODroid, Raspberry Pi's, CubbieBoards chips also count ;)!
    I myself am using a Raspberry PI a.t.m. and will be using a ODroid-U2 in the feature.
    Tell me what you use.

Originally posted by AlltheWay View Post
    Hello,

Are there any guys which have seedboxes at home,
    Just of course the regular seedboxes which are true servers but the ODroid, Raspberry Pi's, CubbieBoards chips also count ;)!
    I myself am using a Raspberry PI a.t.m. and will be using a ODroid-U2 in the feature.
    Tell me what you use.
    My "media server" is my seedbox. It's a first gen i7 920 with 4x3TB drives running in raid5. Arch linux running Couchpotato and Sickbeard to manage the library. Transmission daemon doing the transfers. I wrote a custom bash script that runs when a torrent finishes, that unpacks the files if necessary, and then moves the media files to the appropriate pick up location depending on whether it's a move or tv show. Once moved to the appropriate watch folder, cp/sb find it, pull the metadata, move the files to the XBMC library with proper metadata and posters/images. My android is notified on both torrent snatch and xbmc import (this allows me to catch any downloads that didn't get picked up for some reason, although I've got the process down to the point where this only happens every now and then). Also, both cp and sb send a library update notification to XBMC to make sure it gets added to the library immediately.

My internet line is 16 meg up and down and does a reasonable job. It will generally pick up on a torrent and get me in the swarm during the initial "1 seeder" period which gets me a decent jump on things. I've actually watched it a few times when I get the initial snatched notification to see how quick I'm on the torrents. I'm generally at a .5 ratio by the time the first group of seeders are created and then I just seed the thing forever. I manually clean up my seeded torrent from time to time, to get rid of the stale ones. I've been meaning on writing a script to do that but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Part of me wants to lease a crazy bandwidth seedbox for the sake of having it, but honestly, building this thing and learning all that has come with it is probably more fun for me. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by kryptoh101 View Post
      My "media server" is my seedbox. It's a first gen i7 920 with 4x3TB drives running in raid5. Arch linux running Couchpotato and Sickbeard to manage the library. Transmission daemon doing the transfers. I wrote a custom bash script that runs when a torrent finishes, that unpacks the files if necessary, and then moves the media files to the appropriate pick up location depending on whether it's a move or tv show. Once moved to the appropriate watch folder, cp/sb find it, pull the metadata, move the files to the XBMC library with proper metadata and posters/images. My android is notified on both torrent snatch and xbmc import (this allows me to catch any downloads that didn't get picked up for some reason, although I've got the process down to the point where this only happens every now and then). Also, both cp and sb send a library update notification to XBMC to make sure it gets added to the library immediately.

My internet line is 16 meg up and down and does a reasonable job. It will generally pick up on a torrent and get me in the swarm during the initial "1 seeder" period which gets me a decent jump on things. I've actually watched it a few times when I get the initial snatched notification to see how quick I'm on the torrents. I'm generally at a .5 ratio by the time the first group of seeders are created and then I just seed the thing forever. I manually clean up my seeded torrent from time to time, to get rid of the stale ones. I've been meaning on writing a script to do that but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Part of me wants to lease a crazy bandwidth seedbox for the sake of having it, but honestly, building this thing and learning all that has come with it is probably more fun for me. I love it.
      Woow that sounds so advanced!
      Really good job man!
      I wonder, how excactly does the "Once moved to the appropriate watch folder, cp/sb find it, pull the metadata, move the files to the XBMC library with proper metadata and posters/images." work?
      and how do you notify your android on import on xmbc? "My android is notified on both torrent snatch and xbmc import"
      I'm kind of new to XBMC so.. and I use FlexGet for getting my torrents and unraring them to my NAS

Comment

Couchpotato and Sickbeard have a post-processing function bult in. You tell it what folder to watch for downloads, and when one shows up it'll process it. It's that simple. For example, it'll see "dark.knight.rises.2012.720p.blablabla" and look it up. It then renames the file (this is configurable) and moves it to the library folder for your XBMC movies along with the metadata, banners, posters, fan art, nfo, etc, that XBMC can read.

The hardest part is the post processing from Transmission when a torrent is completed. Everything else is pretty much automatic and built in to the software. In fact, there's probably an easier solution for the Transmission post processing but I'm an avid coder so a little bash scripting was easier than looking for other solutions.

The android notifications are also built into sickbeard and couchpotato. They interface with the NotifyMyAndroid mobile app out of the box. I really don't care about knowing when something was downloaded, because when I get home and sit down, I just point XBMC to the recently added section to see what's new. The notifications are really to alert me when something was snatched and not added to XBMC, which means my Transmission script may have messed up, as I'm still perfecting it right now. The notify app is also really nice for other things too. For example, I have a script that runs once per week to scan the integrity of my raid5 array. If it detects anything bad, a drive fails, etc, it'll notify me immediately by sending an email to my NotifyMyAndroid email address, which routes to the app. It's pretty slick.

It's been really fun making this box and it's become somewhat of an obsession for me. I'm happy to help and answer your questions. Actually, I've been wondering if I should write a tutorial. Just seems most people are using hosted seedboxes on this site and aren't interested in DIY's.

Comment

Couchpotato and Sickbeard have a post-processing function bult in. You tell it what folder to watch for downloads, and when one shows up it'll process it. It's that simple. For example, it'll see "dark.knight.rises.2012.720p.blablabla" and look it up. It then renames the file (this is configurable) and moves it to the library folder for your XBMC movies along with the metadata, banners, posters, fan art, nfo, etc, that XBMC can read.

The hardest part is the post processing from Transmission when a torrent is completed. Everything else is pretty much automatic and built in to the software. In fact, there's probably an easier solution for the Transmission post processing but I'm an avid coder so a little bash scripting was easier than looking for other solutions.

The android notifications are also built into sickbeard and couchpotato. They interface with the NotifyMyAndroid mobile app out of the box. I really don't care about knowing when something was downloaded, because when I get home and sit down, I just point XBMC to the recently added section to see what's new. The notifications are really to alert me when something was snatched and not added to XBMC, which means my Transmission script may have messed up, as I'm still perfecting it right now. The notify app is also really nice for other things too. For example, I have a script that runs once per week to scan the integrity of my raid5 array. If it detects anything bad, a drive fails, etc, it'll notify me immediately by sending an email to my NotifyMyAndroid email address, which routes to the app. It's pretty slick.

It's been really fun making this box and it's become somewhat of an obsession for me. I'm happy to help and answer your questions. Actually, I've been wondering if I should write a tutorial. Just seems most people are using hosted seedboxes on this site and aren't interested in DIY's.
          Damn really nice, but still how exactly do you get the notification of XBMC? (and how do you get the metadata since my torrent doesn't have those I believe..)
          Maybe when If I would ever have the money I'll buy a good server too just for that reason :)
          What OS are you running btw? oops arch linux xD

Comment

I use a Synology 212+ with rutorrent.

It was a real pain to set up.
            I ended up creating a debian chroot and am running rtorrent/rutorrent from there.
            My Giveaways: BluEvo | PTM | TV | TD | IPT | FreshOn | WFL | PTN

Comment

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought most people used a seedbox for security purposes. I have a 17TB-currently-usable-space-expandable-to-96TB-and-beyond server at home, but I don't torrent on it for the aforementioned reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurozen View Post
                I use a Synology 212+ with rutorrent.

It was a real pain to set up.
                I ended up creating a debian chroot and am running rtorrent/rutorrent from there.
                Woow dude congratz! I never heard anyone that got that working on a synology NAS, good work man!
                What speed are you getting?

Comment

Woow dude congratz! I never heard anyone that got that working on a synology NAS, good work man!
                  What speed are you getting?

Best download speed is about 3 MB/s, which is pretty much all of my home connection.
                  My Giveaways: BluEvo | PTM | TV | TD | IPT | FreshOn | WFL | PTN

Comment

Originally posted by Kurozen View Post

Best download speed is about 3 MB/s, which is pretty much all of my home connection.
                    Wooow that's impressive for a NAS, I figured it would be 1MB/s xD probably because you have the + version ;P

Comment

Damn really nice, but still how exactly do you get the notification of XBMC? (and how do you get the metadata since my torrent doesn't have those I believe..)
                      Maybe when If I would ever have the money I'll buy a good server too just for that reason :)
                      What OS are you running btw? oops arch linux xD
                      In the Sickbeard/Couchpotato configuration, there is a Notifications section that allows for various notifications to be set up with various notification services. Honestly, the best bet for you would be to just install the software to see what it can do. Google for the sickbeard pirate bay edition. That one has much better torrent support then the main branch. The one downfall is limited tracker support, which is where the flexibility of flexget wins out. I may switch to Flexget and continue using sb/cp in order to get the proper metadata because I find that XBMC messes up and doesn't recognize the TV Show/Film properly and puts it as the wrong name.

As for the metadata, its another setting in the software. When it finds a file available, it'll go out to TheTVDB, find the episode and get all the information. It does this all for you out of the box. Like said, just install the software and play with it. Feel free to ask questions. :)

Comment

Originally posted by mikehunt114 View Post
                        Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought most people used a seedbox for security purposes. I have a 17TB-currently-usable-space-expandable-to-96TB-and-beyond server at home, but I don't torrent on it for the aforementioned reason.

This is my definition of seedbox too, a fat ass pipe in another country that is completely decoupled from your home IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by Weaselbuddha View Post
                          This is my definition of seedbox too, a fat ass pipe in another country that is completely decoupled from your home IP address.
                          I see it more as a box for seeding, I think it is not right to think that when you have it somewhere else it is a seedbox and when you have it at home it's not.
                          The + side about getting it somewhere else is the speed but you can get the same speed at home if you have a fast connection(regarding 100mbit boxes) and it's cheaper..

Comment

I have a dedicated machine at home for torrenting, so I guess that classifies as a "seed box". I converted an old Dell workstation I had not been using. I forget the actual model number, but it's a P4 with 2gb ram. It's more than enough because I installed freebsd on it which runs really well. The only programs I have are rtorrent/rutorrent and it's running 24/7. I'm upgrading my home fios connection to 75/35mps next month.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

In the Sickbeard/Couchpotato configuration, there is a Notifications section that allows for various notifications to be set up with various notification services. Honestly, the best bet for you would be to just install the software to see what it can do. Google for the sickbeard pirate bay edition. That one has much better torrent support then the main branch. The one downfall is limited tracker support, which is where the flexibility of flexget wins out. I may switch to Flexget and continue using sb/cp in order to get the proper metadata because I find that XBMC messes up and doesn't recognize the TV Show/Film properly and puts it as the wrong name.

As for the metadata, its another setting in the software. When it finds a file available, it'll go out to TheTVDB, find the episode and get all the information. It does this all for you out of the box. Like said, just install the software and play with it. Feel free to ask questions. :)
                            I run sickbeard pirate bay edition and couchpotato off my synology nas, it works well! The only search provider I have for sickbeard is tvtorrents, it never misses a show. It will download the torrent into my watch folder, and my "seedbox" will pick it up and download it. I use autotools in rutorrent to create a hardlink when the show is done downloading. This hardlink keeps the file in my working directory for seeding and at the same time, creates the file in a tv watch directory that sickbeard will see. Sickbeard will rename it and move it to my xbmc tv directory on my nas. The next time I load up xmbc, it will grab the meta data for everything. I also get android notifications from sickbeard when shows are grabbed and finished downloading.

Comment

I see it more as a box for seeding, I think it is not right to think that when you have it somewhere else it is a seedbox and when you have it at home it's not.
                              The + side about getting it somewhere else is the speed but you can get the same speed at home if you have a fast connection(regarding 100mbit boxes) and it's cheaper..
                              I get that, and you're right, but I just assumed most people wouldn't choose to torrent from a dedicated computer at home, aka "seedbox at home". The primary reason I got a seedbox was to remain somewhat anonymous, so to me a seedbox needs to be separate from your home connection. Anyway, each to their own. There are a plethora of threads over at Hard Forum on people's servers they've built, I suppose a number of them actually act as seedboxes, if you wanted to check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X