Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hetzner as Root Server

Hi !

Anyone tried a Hetzner server as root server for seeding, openvpn,... using a prepaid creditcard for payment to stay anonymous ?

anyone has infos about that ?

Comment

Originally posted by cobolus View Post
      Hi !

Anyone tried a Hetzner server as root server for seeding, openvpn,... using a prepaid creditcard for payment to stay anonymous ?
      Hey i just took delivery of a Hetzner box, though i didn't use a pre-paid credit card. I'm on night shifts at the moment, but as soon as i get to my days off, im planning on a full review. Give me a couple of days.
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/3314782553.png

Comment

Hertzner will kick you off in a heartbeat, they do not allow torrenting AT ALL.
        The only thing you could do is chain hertzner through another server with enough space for a VPN tunnels (say a tiny VPS or so), that way you could route all traffic through a HTTPS port.

I'm not liable for doing so though, it's really not allowed.

sigpic
        _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
        '=-._

Comment

I've a couple friends who have used hetzner servers as seedboxes with no issues

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberusj View Post
            Hertzner will kick you off in a heartbeat, they do not allow torrenting AT ALL.
            The only thing you could do is chain hertzner through another server with enough space for a VPN tunnels (say a tiny VPS or so), that way you could route all traffic through a HTTPS port.

I'm not liable for doing so though, it's really not allowed.

Mmmm. Well that surprises me, cos i just had an issue with the box, tho its still only partly set up.
            Support were very quick to get back to me and diagnosed that one of the three hard drives had failed. While we were discussing it I mentioned that i was hash checking torrents and had therefore wondered if was hard drive or CPU causing the issues. He didn't pass comment on the fact I was torrenting.

But your comment has aroused my interest and the consensus of the info that i have picked up courtesy of google, is "Use private trackers only and you will be fine."

Time will tell, but at 41 Euros for 3 x 1.5tb drives, an i7 (975) and 16GB of ram, i thought it worth having a shot!!!

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Originally posted by Blitzed View Post
            I've a couple friends who have used hetzner servers as seedboxes with no issues
            That sounds very hopeful.

Comment

Oh well if you mask the traffic it won't be much trouble really but i've seen Hertzner staff members literally beg people not to use their services for torrenting on hosting fora so haha i'm just saying, I have no personal experience, this is just what I got right from hertzner :P

sigpic
              _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
              '=-._

Comment

Oh well if you mask the traffic it won't be much trouble really but i've seen Hertzner staff members literally beg people not to use their services for torrenting on hosting fora so haha i'm just saying, I have no personal experience, this is just what I got right from hertzner :P

Please dont take this as a personal attack, but there is so much scare-mongering on these seedbox threads at the moment.

Your first post states Hertzner will kick you off in a heartbeat, they do not allow torrenting AT ALL.
                You then go on to say, you don't actually know if this is true and its something you read on forums somewhere. They state this nowhere in the T&C's.
                Blitzed counters this by saying he knows people who torrent with Hertzner without issue and i have read that as long as you stay away from public trackers all will be well.

Only time will tell whether any of this hearsay is true, and yes its ALL hearsay including what i have read! I planned on doing a full review because I know that some members want an alternative to OVH without the huge reseller premium.

All i am saying is people easily switch off. You make a comment like you did on your first reply and suddenly Hetzner is no longer an option especially to newer (less street-wise)members.
                Blitzed heard stuff. You read stuff.I read stuff.. Time will tell when someone first hand(that would be me) can pass on their experience of Hetzner.

Again i say, please don't take this as flaming. You may well end up being right. Its just better for everyone on here that they make their choices from someone who has experienced a service, rather than " i read it somewhere so its true".

The review will follow....

Comment

The "hear say" I'm talking about comes right from the Hertzner admins/mods.
                  It's always up to the user itself what they buy or don't buy but their agreement states it can not be used as a torrent service.
                  If alot of people make a cheap switch from OVH to Hertzner they will start taking boxes down because you're overloading their network in such a way that their prices won't match their data plans.

I don't see anything as a personal attack really, actually being "the angry quoter that shouldn't scare off people with plausible facts" kiiinnnda means you already lost so I honestly don't care lol.
                  Just check the plans, check the rules, keep your eyes on hosting forums and actual posts by Hertzner and keep your fingers crossed the boxes will last :).
                  Worst case scenario you'll be shut down and lose your money depending on what they do with DMCA's and other legal requests ofcourse but that's pretty much the same for any box not sold by a reseller.

sigpic
                  '=-._

Comment

I''m pretty sure nearly all server providers have something along those lines about file sharing. Many people still use the servers for the mentioned purpose, no issues. Use and abuse are two very different things. Using your server within limits will ofcourse raise no red flags.

Comment

Yup you're right. If you turn on your encryption they can't shape the traffic either, if you take some precautions it could work until everybody knows about it and people are overloading the network :P.
                      You can always squeeze the traffic through a cheap 1Gbps or 100Mbit VPS that doesn't give a flying f*ck what you do with enough space for openvpn on it. All of your traffic will be heavily encrypted then without losing any speed so they can't see what you're doing and IF any DMCA's arrive at the VPS they just throw it away so Hertzner won't even know about it :).

There are a ton of ways to make it work without ever having to worry about it but right out of the box will eventually get noticed, atleast, I'd easily notice it if it was my hosting service ;).

sigpic
                      '=-._

Comment

I don't see anything as a personal attack really, actually being "the angry quoter that shouldn't scare off people with plausible facts" kiiinnnda means you already lost so I honestly don't care lol.

No idea what you're on about...no idea what I lost so I don't care either, so congratulations. How many contradictions can one person make in a single thread? Kick off in a heartbeat? Who have they done that to? Then it changed to admin/mods begging people not to torrent, so hardly the same, so then its from your personal discussions the admin/mods.... Hey but I just been on the OVH forums and talked to their admin/mods..... Newsflash everyone.... OVH admin/mods dont like you torrenting... Any direct customers been kicked off yet?

But i really appreciate your valid input! And I'm so glad you won whatever you feel you won. Kinda takes me back to Kindergarden!
                        Last edited by soulfire; June 15, 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I've been a Hetzner customer for a few years running private L2 game servers which technically is a violation of their T's and C's but I have never come across any problems regarding that . I just ordered a 4th game server today and thought about using it as a seedbox while I develop the game server so if anyone is doing this currently without issues i'd like to know as well. I do know that if they receive any complaints regarding your server they will shut you down without any notice as has happened to people that I know in the Lineage 2 world.

Comment

Working...
                          X