Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A seedbox's true anonymity: has it ever failed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A seedbox's true anonymity: has it ever failed?

I have to admit that I jump through a lot of hoops to make sure that my and my friend's home IP addresses are hard to track through my dedicated seedbox. But a question came up here recently that got me thinking about whether or not all that effort is even necessary.

Does anyone know if there's ever been an instance of a standard seedbox (shared) from company XYZ failing to protect the user? Meaning, has a copyright troll ever successfully tracked a person through a standard seedbox?

Also, in the absence of any data, what's your opinion on the likely hood of something like this happening? I realize there are a lot of variables, but assume that we're talking about a standard shared seedbox, through a typical seedbox seller.

PS: If you sell seedboxes, please qualify your comments with that information.
    "I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
    - Charles Darwin

The company would track your info and payment (especially through services like Paypal)
    so in theory, if they suddenly got raided, you could be traced back to.
    Although no one would have spared time to do that since the federal interest is to stop privacy and therefore shutting down trackers should serve the purpose

Comment

Would a seedbox that is paid via Bitcoins provide more anonymity? Adding a VPN that is also paid via Bitcoins?

Comment

I'm presuming for my question that you've figured out the anonymity issues with payment. [MENTION=214543]Wiggum[/MENTION] , yes bitcoins should be anonymous, just make sure you're not paying from a traceable computer when you do.
        "I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
        - Charles Darwin

Comment

I haven't heard of any cases myself, and as far as I'm aware a non-dedicated box 'should' be fairly secure provided you're logging in and transferring via sftp servers. That being said, I'd be interested to hear if anyone 'knows' different.
          Thanks to the powers that be for VIP

Comment

Originally posted by s2cuts View Post
            I'm presuming for my question that you've figured out the anonymity issues with payment. [MENTION=214543]Wiggum[/MENTION] , yes bitcoins should be anonymous, just make sure you're not paying from a traceable computer when you do.
            I've been thinking about payment issues as well. Are there many seedbox providers that accept bit coins?

Comment

Originally posted by DIAL210 View Post
              I've been thinking about payment issues as well. Are there many seedbox providers that accept bit coins?
              Bitcoins are one option. Pre-paid credit cards are another. Also, think about what your IP address is when you're making payments.
              - Charles Darwin

Comment

Originally posted by s2cuts View Post
                Bitcoins are one option. Pre-paid credit cards are another. Also, think about what your IP address is when you're making payments.
                Usually bitcoins are a little easier to work with as well, as some payment processors will sporadically deny pre-paid credit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSlider View Post
                  Usually bitcoins are a little easier to work with as well, as some payment processors will sporadically deny pre-paid credit cards.

There are ways of going around that though. You could use a card that supports direct deposit. So you can direct deposit money into paypal and then use that to purchase the vpn/seedbox.

nFinance is actually the card I'm talking about. I know there are a few threads around talking about using for anonymous paypal.
                  I feel that bitcoins would still be the easiest method though.

Comment

Working...
                  X