Horrible speeds from SeedStuff.ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible speeds from SeedStuff.ca

I just signed up an account on SeedStuff.ca and their speeds are horrible. Downloading single files at speeds of 14.5K/s. I'm hoping this is due to "Sandy" and everything will return to normal..

Anyone else having problems?

My SeedStuff.ca seedbox hasn't worked for 6 days (can't blame Sandy for that).
    sigpic

Comment

I had issues with slow speeds a few months ago, never got an answer, so I just switched providers. Not sure if your troubles are related to mine though.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick2001 View Post
        I had issues with slow speeds a few months ago, never got an answer, so I just switched providers. Not sure if your troubles are related to mine though.
        I submitted a support ticket, and almost 18 hours later no response. Looks like I will have to find another provider. Who did you end up switching to?

Comment

I'll repeat here what I wrote earlier today on another thread:

I'm just going to chronicle my experience with seedstuff.ca without commenting; you can make of it what you will.

I bought a three-month Scrub (125 GB, unlimited traffic) seedbox for 3 months for $43 USD starting August 18.
          On October 24, I could not log into my seedbox via http or ftp. I opened a ticket.
          A few hours later, the reply was that they were aware of problems with that server and were working with the data center to resolve the problem.
          On October 29, as I had heard nothing back for 5 days, I replied to the ticket asking for a status update.
          On October 30, the reply was that the server is no longer functional and my data is unrecoverable. They offered to move my account to a new server.
          I asked them to refund the remainder of my contract (20 days), and they did so immediately.

I went with SeedRootS. 1TB for $15, sounds promising. I'll let you know if I find a catch.
          sigpic

Comment

Seedstuff is usually pretty good at responding, but what I gathered from my experience with them is that if it is speed related, it appears they won't respond because they literally don't have an answer for you. Although I was extremely PO'ed about my experience with Seedstuff, I just moved on to another provider and neglected to write a detailed summary of my horrible last couple of weeks with them as speeds dropped from about 1.8 MB/s to around 16 KB/s without any explanation whatsoever. What was sad, I got more help from a couple of people on this site such as DTSLeech then I every got from Seedstuff. I would not go with them, for the aforementioned and some other reasons.

Azkikr, I would look into DTSLeech, forget the guys name that runs that place but he is very helpful. Have him setup a test box for you that is near the place your real server will be if you opt to go with them so you can check the "peering" aka upload/download speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by eecummings View Post
              I went with SeedRootS. 1TB for $15, sounds promising. I'll let you know if I find a catch.

I hope you had a brain lock unless you got some special deal? I wouldn't want to see you disappointed because I think Seedroots is a great deal. Just not THAT good. As far as I know, the $15 option is for a semi-dedi which splits a 1TB drive in half. So two users end up with about 457GB each. They do have a 1TB option for a dedi but it's $28 a month. You can also get a couple of bucks off each if you use the coupon code in the Seedroots thread of the Seedbox Advertising forum.

"I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in.
              ...To see what condition my condition was in."

Comment

Eknows

Show me a better deal with hd size :)

Comment

Originally posted by pandersam View Post
                  Eknows

Show me a better deal with hd size :)
                  I use seedroots myself. I can't say it's the cheapest around but it's pretty darned good at $13 a month. That's for the semi box, 100mbs and 457GB of drive space. A 1GB box is split in half and shared by two users. With the T-I discount, I'm more than happy with it. Plus Lardo who owns it is on the T-I irc channel a lot and he's great for support. My Seedbox's drive died the other day and he had me moved to a new box the same day. http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedb...-kimsufis.html

Comment

Originally posted by Eknows View Post
                    I use seedroots myself. I can't say it's the cheapest around but it's pretty darned good at $13 a month. That's for the semi box, 100mbs and 457GB of drive space. A 1GB box is split in half and shared by two users. With the T-I discount, I'm more than happy with it. Plus Lardo who owns it is on the T-I irc channel a lot and he's great for support. My Seedbox's drive died the other day and he had me moved to a new box the same day. http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedb...-kimsufis.html
                    i wish it were a 1Gbps line that was split but its only a 100 Mbps line split. That will give u at most 12 MB/s or so max upload and download if the other person isn't using the connection at all.

edit - i guess what would make the big difference is how much seeding you do externaly vs. internal which they do not count. I know for me i can eat up 5TB of traffic fairly quickly but my provider counts internal traffic. It would be nice to see the split since im sure most of the traffic i transfer is internal.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockem4x4 View Post
                      i wish it were a 1Gbps line that was split but its only a 100 Mbps line split. That will give u at most 12 MB/s or so max upload and download if the other person isn't using the connection at all.

edit - i guess what would make the big difference is how much seeding you do externaly vs. internal which they do not count. I know for me i can eat up 5TB of traffic fairly quickly but my provider counts internal traffic. It would be nice to see the split since im sure most of the traffic i transfer is internal.
                      I think everyone would love a split 1GB server. The question is would you want to pay what they go for? Before using Seedroots I had a box on dedisdeedbox.com. I can't say anything negative about my experience with them. It was a very fast 1gb shared for $15/month. The problem was at that price point it only had 75gb of drive space. I found the speed to be wasted most of the time. I mean it was great if you could sit and nurse it all day every day but who wants to do that? You had to constantly cycle stuff on and off the box. Trouble came if you put something that didn't seed well. You were stuck with those files if you didn't want hit and runs on them. It wasn't much fun having a fast box and watching some 50GB pack seed at .5kb/sec for a couple of days. I just came to the conclusion that drive space was much more important than sheer speed.

Now I can run autodl.irssi with BTN and have plenty of space for movies or whatever else I want to download. 12.5 MB/s is the maximum up and down but it's plenty fast enough for me. I think at $13/month it's a bargain.

Comment

Ok, looks like I have to go on the defensive a bit here...

My SeedStuff.ca seedbox hasn't worked for 6 days (can't blame Sandy for that).
                        No, but you were told why it was down and given options which I think were fair. We tried to restore the server which had died and you were given a full credit for any downtime as was everyone else affected. Unfortunately when we have 400+ servers, yes a hard drive may die every few months. Honestly, its just shitty luck but it was explained with no hiding details.

Originally posted by Azkikr View Post
                        I submitted a support ticket, and almost 18 hours later no response. Looks like I will have to find another provider. Who did you end up switching to?
                        I do not see any tickets in the last few days which took 18 hours for a response. If you want to PM me the ticket number I will take a look. As for speeds, its quite possible the storm has caused some issues with the trans-Atlantic traffic connections.

I'll repeat here what I wrote earlier today on another thread:

I'm just going to chronicle my experience with seedstuff.ca without commenting; you can make of it what you will.

I bought a three-month Scrub (125 GB, unlimited traffic) seedbox for 3 months for $43 USD starting August 18.
                        On October 24, I could not log into my seedbox via http or ftp. I opened a ticket.
                        A few hours later, the reply was that they were aware of problems with that server and were working with the data center to resolve the problem.
                        On October 29, as I had heard nothing back for 5 days, I replied to the ticket asking for a status update.
                        On October 30, the reply was that the server is no longer functional and my data is unrecoverable. They offered to move my account to a new server.
                        I asked them to refund the remainder of my contract (20 days), and they did so immediately.

I also replied on that thread as well, again a hard drive went down, you were notified and then offered a refund. Not much more I can do for you.

Originally posted by maverick2001 View Post
                        Seedstuff is usually pretty good at responding, but what I gathered from my experience with them is that if it is speed related, it appears they won't respond because they literally don't have an answer for you. Although I was extremely PO'ed about my experience with Seedstuff, I just moved on to another provider and neglected to write a detailed summary of my horrible last couple of weeks with them as speeds dropped from about 1.8 MB/s to around 16 KB/s without any explanation whatsoever. What was sad, I got more help from a couple of people on this site such as DTSLeech then I every got from Seedstuff. I would not go with them, for the aforementioned and some other reasons.

Azkikr, I would look into DTSLeech, forget the guys name that runs that place but he is very helpful. Have him setup a test box for you that is near the place your real server will be if you opt to go with them so you can check the "peering" aka upload/download speeds.
                        Tickets do not go unanswered unless you cancel the service before I have a chance to answer. I do not simply ignore tickets because I have no idea whats going on and even stating so is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by SeedStuff View Post
                          I also replied on that thread as well, again a hard drive went down, you were notified and then offered a refund. Not much more I can do for you.
                          I agree, and I think any reasonable person will agree my post was not critical, I just stated what happened.

But then you had to go and click dislike on my post. That's rather mean-spirited. You just changed me from someone who was ready to accept a bad experience without any rancor to someone whose feelings are a little hurt by your actions. I suspect that isn't good business practice.
                          sigpic

Comment

Wow, I'm torn between so many options. I've been peeking the forum for the last twenty minutes, and still can't decide which service I am going to buy.

Comment

Now I kind of regret not giving a full review of my negative experience with SeedStuff. The Members Synth and DarkSlider would be familiar with the situation as they both were kind enough to help me by setting up test FTP accounts to try to troubleshoot the issues, since I was not getting any help from Seedstuff.ca. I remember I opened a ticket on a Sunday and didn't get any response until Thursday and the only reason you responded is because I commented on the ticket I had already opened 4 days prior to see if you could change the FTP Port, which you did respond to that, again after dang near 5 days.

Not to mention the over aggressive emails for payments that you send out weeks before a payment is due. I also had two servers with you and was a customer for about 9 months. I was late on one of the servers by one day and you shut my service down. Now, it is true that the data was still on the server but shutting a longtime customer down that has always paid on time that was late "once" rubbed me the wrong way. But again, I just cancelled the 2nd Server but I still kept the 1st Server. It was only until I was getting 65 KB/s (I just looked at my PMs to DarkSlider and Synth) and no word from you or your staff that I decided to bolt.

And I didn't leave Seedstuff until a good 3 weeks after this issue, so you had ample time to provide some answer to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X