Quest to setup my own Seedbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest to setup my own Seedbox

I'd like to start by saying that I've never used a seedbox, have only read about them. Now that's outta the wayyyyy...

If i were to go through all the steps of getting parts for and setting up my own seedbox, would running it out of my house be a poor idea? I'd like to set one up so that, a) I can run all my torrents from somewhere else besides my gaming maching and b) hopefully attain some form of anonymous transferring. There's just this little voice in the back of my mind that's telling me that unless I use the seedbox through a VPN it'll be just the same as running everything from the same computer. I've read up on VPS too but I was trying to go for cheap like not spend really any money (most of the parts I would need to set up another computer are laying around this house). Any advice from someone that's possible setup their own seedbox or insight from anyone as to what I'm attempting? :)

I started setting up seedbox without knowing of existance of them. Currently i am renting OVH by Kimsufi dedicated server with ubuntu with remote access to it.

As for you I see two options:
    1) Windows based
    2) Linux based

Tell me in wich one are you interested and I will help you :)
    Last edited by narato92; May 29, 2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by narato92 View Post
      I started setting up seedbox without knowing of existance of them. Currently i am renting OVH by Kimsufi dedicated server with ubuntu with remote access to it.

As for you I see two options:
      1) Windows based
      2) Linux based

Tell me in wich one are you interested and I will help you :)
      I was thinking Linux based, as it would help me to learn Linux and give me a solid reason to learn Linux.

Comment

If you run the seedbox from your home network, it will be no more anonymous than running utorrent on your existing pc.

You can use a VPN but you will need to check with your trackers to see if they allow it. If you use private trackers you don't really need to use a VPN, if you use public trackers you should use a VPN. Also unless you have a router that can set QOS then a home based seedbox can still chew up your network bandwidth.

What is your budget for setting up a home based seedbox. May be just as cost effective to get a slot from a provider.

"The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference."

Ubuntu 12/14/16 Debian 7/8 Seedbox Guide and Script

Comment

You can get a garbage plan from seedstuff.ca for $1.99, I started with that one & took me like a couple hours till I realized i needed a better one. I really like the $15 plans from seedroots.com though has tons of space & gets about 5-6MB/s, also comes with autodl-irssi so you can play around with setting up autodl scripts & has rutorrent & he does deluge if you ask him nicely too =) I'd recommend tryin it out..
          Last edited by strobus; May 29, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalFear View Post
            I was thinking Linux based, as it would help me to learn Linux and give me a solid reason to learn Linux.
            No problem, downlad Ubuntu, burn, install and set everything up. Then we will start installing necessary software.
            Last edited by narato92; May 29, 2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalFear View Post
              There's just this little voice in the back of my mind that's telling me that unless I use the seedbox through a VPN it'll be just the same as running everything from the same computer.
              Your voice is correct. Since you're still using your home network connection it's still going to be limited to your home connection speed and your home IP will show up on the torrent swarm. Considering speed and increased security are the two main reasons someone would look to get a seedbox, whether you should stick with your plan depends on your main motivations to move to a seedbox.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSeeder View Post
                Your voice is correct. Since you're still using your home network connection it's still going to be limited to your home connection speed and your home IP will show up on the torrent swarm. Considering speed and increased security are the two main reasons someone would look to get a seedbox, whether you should stick with your plan depends on your main motivations to move to a seedbox.
                Yeah, but i wanted to guide our friend to at least three ways to download torrents anymously.

Comment

You'll still have to pay for some sort of VPN and that's not a very cost-effective solution when you can skip the hassle and get yourself a shared seedbox that offers root access (Seedhost.net's boxes do, and any Seedboxes.cc too) so you can tinker around with Linux and your favorite torrent client + guarantee better speeds than at home and anonymity.

Comment

Working...
                  X