This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracker Donation Drives

I think it's safe to say that most people have more than one tracker. Some have a dozen or more. I'm not a slacker on any of my trackers. I've reached power user status and beyond, I upload, fill requests and participate in the forum and contests. However, I think it's important to throw some cash in once in a while, too. Since I'm not independently wealthy, my discretionary funds for charity are rather limited. It's hard to decide whether to give a little to each or give more to a few.
    [MENTION=8337]Lexi Rainbows[/MENTION] said in a much earlier thread that:
    These trackers make enough cash as it is, well the decent ones anyway
    I never knew that some trackers were actually making a profit. However, most of my favorites actually rely on monthly donations.

Do you make regular donations? To how many trackers? Is it okay to contribute content (as an uploader) in place of cash? Do you feel obligated to donate? I wanted to do a poll, but it looks like someone did one a few years ago. I'd be interested in hearing some more viewpoints.

Last edited by ChumbaWumba; October 23, 2016, 01:10 AM.

First of all, I think that contributing with content is nearly as beneficial to the tracker as donations since more traffic is always a good thing. But it is not usually enough (more of a "long run" thing). I am on several trackers where it is obvious that the team behind them is struggling to keep the tracker going, and those are the one I happily donate to. One thing keeps me from donating is the usual reward that comes with it. I feel like "artificial" BPs or Upload credits can be easily picked apart by others in the community, and I don't wanna be seen like someone who is "paying to win",not unlike the free to play video games out there.
    For example, I would really like to donate to T-I but I feel afraid that this would be seen as "taking a shortcut". I feel like the Donator/VIP status comes with a certain stigma. Anybody feels the same?

Comment

@ChumbaWumba AR was the first private tracker I got into, and I was so happy about it that I made a donation. Nowadays, I don't. However I could see myself donating a small sum to each maybe once or twice a year to help with costs and what not.
      @abay I don't think it's taking a shortcut, and even if it is, the option is open to all. Anyone can donate. Let's face it...we have computers, we pay for internet access, some of us have seedboxes we pay for, I think if anyone here wanted to donate they could afford to. I am the kind of person who would rather not "take the shortcut" but I don't have a problem with those that do.

Comment

I would really like to donate to T-I but I feel afraid that this would be seen as "taking a shortcut". I feel like the Donator/VIP status comes with a certain stigma. Anybody feels the same?
        Supposedly, the level system is to weed out people that might be dangerous to the community. (i.e. tracker admins posing as regular members.) The thought being, anybody putting in all that time to work up through the levels is more likely not to be a spy or troll. However, if someone can just pay to shoot up the level ladder, we can't be sure they aren't from some other site and just paid for VIP to quickly gain access to sensitive details on the site. That's the only problem I have with the policy here on TI. I don't think differently about people who pay for VIP, though.

Comment

Closing now. [MENTION=359654]Hellsheer[/MENTION] [MENTION=360261]abay[/MENTION] thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
          X