X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FileShareFreak Doesn't Help Cheaters

FileShareFreak Doesn’t Help Cheaters

FileShareFreak’s Sharky recently reported on a new way to ratio cheat. Several comments on the story questioned Sharky’s decision to essentially “advertise” a new way of cheating. Sharky clearly states in the article that his intentions were to make trackers aware of the system, but several people accuse him of helping others to cheat. Did he make the right choice, to publicly announce a new form of cheating? In this author’s opinion, yes.

[Read More]

sigpic

New News: New News: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 1
    Old News: OiNK Founder Acquitted
    News in the Making: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 2 (2%)

FileShareFreak Doesn’t Help Cheaters

FileShareFreak’s Sharky recently reported on a new way to ratio cheat. Several comments on the story questioned Sharky’s decision to essentially “advertise” a new way of cheating. Sharky clearly states in the article that his intentions were to make trackers aware of the system, but several people accuse Sharky of helping others to cheat. Did he make the right choice, to publicly announce a new form of cheating? In this author’s opinion, yes.

Cheaters are not welcome at our trackers. They do not give back to the community from which their data was wrought. But why give these cheaters another tool with which to work their wicked ways? Simply, Sharky sought a way to inform as many trackers as possible in the shortest amount of time. He decided to make a public service announcement “[t]o bring awareness to private tracker sysops & staff that such a tool is publicly available, and to take appropriate action”

Some of the comments to the article deride Sharky for publishing the information. Ways exist, they say, to inform but a handful of tracker administrators and the remainder shall soon know. Other commentators point out that information is a vital commodity and should not be hoarded. One purported sys op worries that expanded knowledge of this cheating tool will lead to the greater usage and improvement of it. Another states that the bastard program is "VERY detectable. ... One announce from this piece of (crap) site and your account is auto disabled."

Still, you have to imagine that at least some tracker staff read FileShareFreak. It stands to reason that at least some tracker staff had not heard of this program. Now they do. Sure some cheaters now have a new “weapon” in their arsenal. But now there’s an even greater chance of the cheaters getting caught.

In all of the comments, there is one shining beacon of stupidity. “I've just tried this on what.cd and got banned. It doesn’t work.” That’s one more cheater off the books at what. One more selfish child, gone. One less leecher. All in all, isn’t that a good thing?
    Last edited by AfterMidnight; January 7, 2010, 11:56 PM.

sigpic

New News: New News: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 1
    Old News: OiNK Founder Acquitted
    News in the Making: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 2 (2%)

Comment

I would have to agree, as the old adage goes, security by obscurity is not security at all. If one person found out how to do it, then its quite possible that other people found out how to do it as well. Granted in the short term there may be more people trying to ratio cheat, but I suspect that in the long term, once this method is globally fixed that we will end up with a net of less ratio cheaters.

In any case interesting article AM, thanx for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by AfterMidnight View Post
        In all of the comments, there is one shining beacon of stupidity. “I've just tried this on what.cd and got banned. It doesn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by yayhl2 View Post
          I agree people should seriously read things more thoroughly.

Comment

It's a vicious cycle isn't it? Ratio cheaters try coming up with new methods to cheat and eventually are caught and then try something else. Don't they get a feeling the whole process is just too much of work? Isn't it simpler to just seed?

BTW the comments on the blog are hilarious. I also discovered that piracy is not theft. What an eye opener! :

Comment

I agree with sharky. If there is a hole it should be published and let everyone know on its presence. couple of years back, some online stupid columist express their concern on Firefox by saying "Firefox is a open-source software and its security loop-hole can be obtain easily from net. Thus its not good". See over the time Firefox become one of the widely used browser among tech. people. I stand on information availability and Awareness is vital.

Comment

Originally posted by fahim View Post
                I agree with sharky. If there is a hole it should be published and let everyone know on its presence. couple of years back, some online stupid columist express their concern on Firefox by saying "Firefox is a open-source software and its security loop-hole can be obtain easily from net. Thus its not good". See over the time Firefox become one of the widely used browser among tech. people. I stand on information availability and Awareness is vital.
                +1 Totally agreed with you
                And if we will be aware of that type of ratio cheating then we can prevent it from happening Prevention is better than cure ?? Right ?
                So what Sharky did was to warn all the private trackers and all other users that there is this method going on behind people's backs so the trackers block this method not that to promote it for the public to use it .. lol
                sigpic

A new breed, A new generation. D-generation X, you can not stop him, slow him down, or shield yourself from his gaze. He is here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and we're all out of gum. He is DX, he is Exalted . . .

Comment

Damn, not another ratio cheat. I still don't get hot the author said he wanted to let trackers know about the program that allows users to ratio cheat. Im 50% sure this is gonna encourage users to ratio cheat? :'(

Comment

Great article AfterMidnight, love reading your work, by the way when is part 3 of the T-I story coming out, it's been a while.

Well i'll be honest, when i first read the article on FSF i thought that it was a stupid idea to post it publicly, but after reading what you wrote and considering it i see that it was a good choice.

First, quickly announcing it and allowing tracker admins and/or sysops to counterattack this problem.

It also made half the torrenters read and know about it and makes us get rid of the half of em that will stupidly use this program and get banned.

Lastly putting the effect of this program into quick destruction as trackers know of it, people fear using it and the ones that use it get banned.

Originally posted by Eschaton View Post
                    BTW the comments on the blog are hilarious. I also discovered that piracy is not theft. What an eye opener! :

LOL i love this post, it hilarious and sorta true at the same time, thanks for posting Eschaton.
                    Last edited by Majid; January 8, 2010, 05:19 AM.

In the name of the best within me, I radiate a light by which others may see their own way in dark streets of life while I pursue my quest for excellence with an urge to serve others at whatever cost as I rise to the occasion, staying true to my ideals, beliefs and commitments and as the heroes of all time have guided me by example, so shall I guide you with my strength and dedication to persevere and endure all responsibilities on this trail of bliss and perfection-the path of The Exalted.

Comment

I read this few days back, cheat is always a cheat... and cheater will be caught.... I hate these stuff,, I dont know why people promote these kinda things....

Comment

Originally posted by duskasher View Post
                        I read this few days back, cheat is always a cheat... and cheater will be caught.... I hate these stuff,, I dont know why people promote these kinda things....
                        Well that's all the discussion about it..You don't promote it be telling it here. You say it exists and if you were a site admin or such and you'd read about it, you could arm yourself against it, because now you know. If we keep such things as -secrets- there would be a lot more of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by nehpets View Post
                          Well that's all the discussion about it..You don't promote it be telling it here. You say it exists and if you were a site admin or such and you'd read about it, you could arm yourself against it, because now you know. If we keep such things as -secrets- there would be a lot more of abuse.
                          You took it wrong dude... I meant why Filesharefreak promotes these kinda things...

Comment

People who are going to ratio cheat are going to find out about this new method. It is better to make people aware of this issue so that it can be fixed. This is the same method approached towards computer security and it seems to be working fine. Keeping things hidden only makes us complacent.

Comment

Originally posted by WRETCH32 View Post
                              Damn, not another ratio cheat. I still don't get hot the author said he wanted to let trackers know about the program that allows users to ratio cheat. Im 50% sure this is gonna encourage users to ratio cheat? :'(
                              Perhaps, but like AfterMidnight stated with the example of the now-banned what.cd leech - it's one more gone.

To reply, I usually read filesharingfreak with my morning java and this morning was no exception. This article had me self-debating the very issue raised here as I read it, and I came away from it thinking 'good on Sharky' for posting it. To paraphrase another, the ignored reality of something doesn't negate any consequence of its existence. Timely post, AfterMidnight - I had contemplated my first-ever thread on this topic! :)
                              Last edited by Perfect Stranger; January 8, 2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X