No announcement yet.

Have a pirated version of Windows? You'll also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a pirated version of Windows? You'll also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

Source: mashable.com Original Author: Stan Post Date: March 18, 2015 Link in mashable: Have a pirated version of Windows? You'll also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

So, Microsoft just dropped this bomb

Microsoft just dropped a bomb that will echo through the world of software piracy for a long time: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade even for non-genuine versions of Windows.

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Windows operating systems chief Terry Myerson told Reuters on Wednesday.

This means that all users running a pirated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 a stark contrast to Microsoft's anti-piracy measures in the past, which included an activation system as well as warnings and reduced functionality for Windows systems that were determined to be non-genuine.

In January, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for users running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Non-genuine versions were not mentioned at the time. The catch is that Windows 10 will be free for the first year; after that, users will need to pay.

So why is Microsoft doing this now? The answer is simple: China. Hundreds of millions of users in the country are running a pirated version of Windows; with this move, Myerson says, Microsoft plans to "re-engage" those users.

While Reuters' report is focused on China, Microsoft has confirmed to Mashable that the free upgrade for pirated Windows versions will work globally.

"Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows. We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies," a Microsoft spokesperson told Mashable in an email.

On Tuesday, speaking at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community (WinHEC) summit in Shenzhen, China, Myerson announced that Windows 10 will be available this summer in 190 countries and in 111 languages.
    Last edited by Gee-Whiz; March 18, 2015, 01:54 PM.
    My Invite GiveAways HERE

Time to install some pirated windows.

Comment

Windows 10 looks promising and will give it a go. if nothing else, I can always downgrade to Win 7 Ultimate, which is rock solid, for me at least.
      My Invite GiveAways HERE

Comment

Makes sense to make it free to so enable nosey agencies to spy on sheepies

Comment

I'd not be worried if win10 will be available for dreamspark users ;p
          Special thanks to SiniuS for VIP giveaway and those who supported me!

Comment

Originally posted by care71
            Window 8 was virtually free too, because no one wanted it!! Now I hear Windows 10 is actually free. Well I suspect no one will want that one either.

Personally I'm quite happy with Windows 7 for home.
            I, personally, liked Win8 waaayyyy better than Win7.
            I don't get the hate really. It's faster to start up, it has a nicer look to it(that's kind of an subjective opinion though), it's updated constantly.
            Better in almost every aspect so why would you prefer Win7 over it?
            Last edited by ThaJay; March 25, 2015, 06:41 AM.
            My Giveaways My Requests
            None None

|
            |
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
            |
            |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
            would fuck a person in the ass
            and not even have the godda*n
            common courtesy to give him a
            reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
            '
            |
            |
            |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            |
            |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
              I don't get the hate really. It's faster to start up, it has a nicer look to it(that's kind of an objective opinion though), it's updated constantly.
              Because he's not too bright. :D

I just boot straight to desktop so I never see metro. It's basically like windows 7 with some improvements to the file manager and task manager/whatnot. Oh, and no start button I guess...but only noobs use the start button. (plus there is an app for that, if you are a noob)

Comment

Its a catch somewere

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
                  I don't get the hate really. It's faster to start up, it has a nicer look to it(that's kind of an objective opinion though), it's updated constantly.
                  Windows 8 is newer than Windows 7 so I'd assume it'd be more optimized for start up. Personally I don't like the start screen, so I just installed classic shell, Windows 8 is mainly for tablets. I hope they make Windows 10 more optimized, I hope it just reaches a point where it just matters on the software and not on the hardware anymore for speed.

It's a pity Windows isn't optimized like Linux. :)

Comment

I too prefer win8 over win7. The boot time is so much quicker. I think everyone hates win8 was just because of the start button ...

Anyways, anyone know when win10 is avaiable for upgrade? I believe it was release in feb.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hearts View Post
                      I too prefer win8 over win7. The boot time is so much quicker. I think everyone hates win8 was just because of the start button ...

Anyways, anyone know when win10 is avaiable for upgrade? I believe it was release in feb.
                      It's meant to be coming out this summer. Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Muses2092 View Post
                        Its a catch somewere
                        Somewhere else I saw that 10 may have it's own filesharing type option. Maybe they are going to give it out for free get us to use the integrated file sharing because of convenience, monitor our usage then sue every single person for piracy!?!?!?

Either that or it's a marketshare play.

Comment

Nah, its free only for one year only. I'm in the Windows Insider Program for Windows 10. Even though right now got so many bugs and some lacking performance, its still the best from Windows 7 and 8. I love this Windows 10 because it got Cortana, personal voice assistant .

Comment

You can bet one thing for sure: no multinational coorp ever gives away it's number one product without there being a catch.

Comment

Originally posted by uclosone View Post
                              Nah, its free only for one year only. I'm in the Windows Insider Program for Windows 10. Even though right now got so many bugs and some lacking performance, its still the best from Windows 7 and 8. I love this Windows 10 because it got Cortana, personal voice assistant .

Thanks, that explains it.

How does cortana differ from voice recognition on windows 7 and 8?

I would install the 10 preview but switching windows versions to beta and back again has been a pain in my experience. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X