Apple Forced Amazon to Raise Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Forced Amazon to Raise Prices

It turned out that Apple’s price cartel with publishers forced the online retailer to raise the prices of its e-books and enter into similar deals with its publishers. According to Russell Grandinetti, the company’s vice president for Kindle content, strengthened by an agreement with Apple which fixed the prices for their respective e-books higher, the publishers strong-armed online retailer into offering them similar terms

As you might know, the US Department of Justice has taken Apple to court over price-fixing after reaching out-of-court settlements with a number of major publishers, including MacMillan, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Hachette Books and Penguin. Actually, Apple’s Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs even bragged about the deal in his biography, where he admitted that the deal meant higher e-book prices.

Press reports say that Russell Grandinetti sat down with Macmillan CEO Jon Sargent. The latter offered a stark choice: it could face a months-long delay between the hardcover release of a book and its appearance on Kindle. The other option was to convert from the reseller to agency model, where publishers have a heavier hand in setting retail pricing. Finally, Macmillan and Amazon ended up in conflict. In result, Amazon yanked the publisher's e-books from its digital shelves, but in the end the company backed down and allowed customers to decide whether they believe it's reasonable to pay $14.99 for a bestselling e-book. The emails emerged where Apple CEO Steve Jobs insisted to News Corp executive James Murdoch that the retailer’s pricing was ultimately unsustainable, but experts believe that it’s mostly because he said so.

Posted by - SaM
    June 21st, 2013

Link - Apple Forced Amazon to Raise Prices - ExtraTorrent.com The World's Largest BitTorrent System

That's stupid, their greed never stops

Comment

Apple blows! I can't understand why some of my IT friends love Apple so much. IMO their products are not that much better for the price one has to pay for them. This thread just confirms that the company thinks their "crap don't stink".

Comment

I called them fascist before, and I stand by it. I can't wait until Android takes them over in the market, but Apple has their stupid public image to go on for a good long while. Eventually, though, people will get tired of their shit and come to unless Apple stops being fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJenkins View Post
          I called them fascist before, and I stand by it. I can't wait until Android takes them over in the market, but Apple has their stupid public image to go on for a good long while. Eventually, though, people will get tired of their shit and come to unless Apple stops being fascist.
          I don't think that fascism means what you think it does...

Comment

Apple from the start is so greedy

Comment

Originally posted by Clarissa View Post
              I don't think that fascism means what you think it does...
              I don't mean literally fascist, as Apple isn't a government, but with Apple, their products are only easily compatible within the world of apple products, making it their way or the highway, i.e., fascist. I'm not saying they go around killing people. Again, figuratively fascist.

Comment

May be "fascist" does not look perfect but "mafiosi" definitely fits

Apple Ready to
                sigpic

Comment

As far as political systems go, fascism is the closest one for describing apple as a company and Steve Jobs as their leader.

Now wikipedia has this to say about general traits of fascism:
                  fascist movements share certain common features, including the veneration of the state, a devotion to a strong leader, and an emphasis on ultranationalism, ethnocentrism, and militarism. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenationand asserts that nations and races deemed superior should obtain living space by displacing ones deemed weak or inferior.
                  Obviously, apple is not into state bussiness, political violence or war in classic means, but as far as capitalism (current most popular ideology) goes, they are the third reich of existing companies. They insist on veneration of the company, their (now late) leader had an alomst god-like status, they put strong emphasys on diferentiating themselves from other companies and than do their best to give impression that these distinct features are what makes apple (and their consumers) better than the rest. They view unfair market practices (and sometimes outright illegal things) as a mean to achieve (rightfully deserved) higher market share and establish their image of ubermensch. Every non-apple product and/or person is viewed by apple and their followers as inferior, therefore it/he/she should be made fun of and be discredited to allow apple and their followers to achive their rightous place in this universe.
                  This is so painfully apparent if you just google for one of the Jobs theatrical inserts you can find on youtube. It's just that when someone tells us we are special (like apple users are), we kind of like it and find it hard to rationally think if we are special at all. We just go with it and after a while it becomes nearly impossible to start thinking outside the box (in case of apple "the box" being a concrete cell made of 3' reinforced concrete with no windows, located on an asteroid far, far away, guarded by a battalion of stormtroopers, ...).

I'm not saying everyone with an iGizmo is like that but the old fuck that's pushing up daisies as we speak, bragged about this in his book, so as far I'm concerned it was about time he croaked before he inflicted even more damage on this world. I just hope his successor is less self absorbed and has the ability to realize that french didn't cut off noblemens' heads off for shits and giggles, but had quite good reason to do so.

Karma is a bitch and she packs quite a bite.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJenkins View Post
                    I don't mean literally fascist, as Apple isn't a government, but with Apple, their products are only easily compatible within the world of apple products, making it their way or the highway, i.e., fascist. I'm not saying they go around killing people. Again, figuratively fascist.
                    I'm still having difficulty how the evolution of a walled-garden market system with significant consumer lock-in is comparable to territorially aggressive ultranationalist politics. I guess I'm just missing the point. Again.

Comment

Apple sucks. That's my only comment.

Comment

Apple sucks. That is also my only comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarissa View Post
                          I'm still having difficulty how the evolution of a walled-garden market system with significant consumer lock-in is comparable to territorially aggressive ultranationalist politics. I guess I'm just missing the point. Again.
                          Actually, the person who posted above you did a very good job of drawing the comparisons between Apple's business practices and fascism, especially the "territorially aggressive ultranationalist politics" part. You simply have to establish connections to fit the context. Namely, you take "territorially aggressive" to refer to the technology market rather than physical territories, "ultranationalist" to refer to a brand rather than a nation, and "politics" to refer to their business practices rather than actual politics. (If you haven't seen the movie "Antitrust," you should watch it. It's pretty good.)

Then again, you could just be trolling, or maybe we should call the person above you "Clarissa," as they're the one who explains it all.

Edit: Apple does suck, but they could suck more. I just had to get that in there.
                          Last edited by MichaelJenkins; June 23, 2013, 11:39 PM. Reason: Apple sucks.

Comment

I'm not (deliberately) trolling here.

Maybe I'm just showing my age. I grew up in a community where many lives were broken on the rack of fascism. Hardly a family was without its suffering and hardship,. even decades after the events. These things take generations to heal.

So, yeah, I guess I'm a bit sensitive about trivialising the evil that was fascism by comparing it with corporate amorality.

As I said, not trying to be a troll so this will be my last post on the matter in this thread. Feel free to have the last word.

Comment

Go figure Apple wants to charge more than its worth.......so this is any different than any product they have ever made.

Comment

Working...
                              X