Underground Gamer Goes Down Citing Legal Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underground Gamer Goes Down Citing Legal Problems

Source: TorrentFreak Original Author: Ernesto Post Date: June 2, 2013 Link in TorrentFreak: Underground Gamer Goes Down Citing Legal Problems
    Underground Gamer (UG), a private BitTorrent tracker specialized in pre-2004 game releases, has shut down citing legal problems.

According to information from the site’s IRC chat the all non-essential data was wiped out and what remains was encrypted.

The drastic decision was presumably taken to protect the site’s users and staff.

UG’s Lenk explained in the site’s IRC channel that complaints were made by a copyright watchdog about some of the games that were distributed through UG, including FIFA 98.

According to Lenk the “threats” did not come from any of the game publishers directly.

“Companies don’t care about UG. Copyright watchdogs make it their job though,” Lenk writes.

Underground Gamer specializes in old and rare games across a wide range of platforms. As long as the game or platform is from before 2004 there is a very good chance you’ll find it available on the tracker

TorrentFreak talked to UG member Graham who praised the tracker for its extensive collection of old and rare games, and describes the UG community as the go-to place for retro gamers.

“The forums at UG are well used and a gold mine of information on just about anything to do with retro gaming,” he says.

We tried to get in contact with UG staff but so far without luck. It’s clear that the site has shut down for now, but it’s not the end.

“No, we are not gone,” UG notes.

This post is from the News Bits section of TorrentFreak where we present stories from around the web in a concise summary format. Full TorrentFreak articles can be found here. If you have a tip please let us know. News Bits have their very own RSS feed
    Last edited by RainLew; June 2, 2013, 08:06 PM.

Glad to hear it's not the end atleast, they had alot of rare hacks and retro games over there.

Kind of sad that EA, or rather the general copyright watchdog, is being b*tchy over FIFA '98 and titles alike, seriously, taking FIFA as an example, half of the players featured in '98 are RETIRED already due to old age lol.,,

Next thing on their checklist, Fantasy Football, they will haunt your thoughts and shut you down if you trade trademarked names in your imagination!

sigpic
    _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
    '=-._

Comment

UG is the perfect example of how torrent sites aren't always simply about piracy or people wanting to steal - it's about preserving things because the companies holding the rights don't care to do that themselves. Thank goodness for GOG.com, but even they can't get all the good old games.

I hope UG can rise up and we can continue keeping these old games alive. It's so essential.

Comment

this is the issue most of the old school companies no longer exist therefore cant put out old games etc. So whats the problem this is getting ridiculous. I belonged to UG although I didnt use it very often I always thought it was great that you could get old bios updates etc. Douchebags strike again

Comment

I was just roaming around Area51 and was on the verge of preparing my ratio proofs/speedtest for this very tracker when this useful piece of information caught my attention.

I just pray the great community of Blackcats-Games won't come about the crosshairs of any anti-piracy groups since they also index virtually every game ever made on any platform and that's without mentionning the wealth of information available. I wonder if they'll take UG's "refugees" as they did with BitGamer who were also fortunate enough to receive a 50GB upload credit.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Really a shame...

I suppose this serves to illustrate just how absurd copyright fever has become. Everyone knows there's no more money to be made from decade old sports titles, and yet here they are enforcing their 'rights.' The right to be a**holes that is.
            Thanks to the powers that be for VIP

Comment

What a shame....UG is a library with old and rare and precious "books" full of knowledge....should be preserved and supported
              sigpic

Comment

Unless the original owner request a takedown , it shouldnt be done not even by antipiracy advocates as they dont own it
                sigpic

Raum shadowbuild extJSDB(For VIP) Copper TankGirl IguessNot KevinTrevor
                Cafe gblaze ghost6945
                Hyoksang
                pejiotoPatriotlion GPaX HunTer666 MadafakinBATMAN
                WhiteLie (For signature) MichaelJenkinsSportsFan23
                and all the other members and friends (omg too many to add to list)

Comment

get back soon UG. i cant imagine the only good retro game tracker will gone forever.

Comment

The thing that gets me is that i already lost bitgamer which was my gaming tracker and now im losing ug for old stuff...
                    :(

Comment

Wow wasn't a member but can totally appreciated the efforts towards game preservation. Can EA or its proxy truly state that its still making money on FIFA'98!? Or even be offering it anew for users to purchase? Hopefully UG retrenches and gets back to the effort soon!

Comment

Such a shame, hopefully they won't be down long. I played LotGD, the text based adventure game there once a day (10 turns per day) was a nice time killer & the wealth of knowledge and files there was unmatched.

Comment

This really sucks. I was UG member for almost 3 years and very active seeder of their PlayStation redump.org sets. It's really sad that they had to close it down because of the game that was crappy even when it was released back in the day. But like they said on their irc they have backups so i believe it's only a matter of time before they go online again. Just have to be patient..

Comment

let them remove all the stupid EA GAMES from the tracker and that is it , i can't imagine my life without underground
                            lllThe Princess Sayslll:
                            )
                            (Torrent invites its not about getting invites, Its also about giving invites and helping each other)(

BCG l FTN l SCC l WHAT l GFT l MV l BitMeTv l PTP l BTN
                            leading the torrent ship since 2006

linkboy

Comment

I hope they get back soon I love UG for retro gaming, Sega mega drive games and old dos games.

Comment

Working...
                              X