Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to choose invitees from BitTorrent forums?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose invitees from BitTorrent forums?

Mod Edit: This was not written by ScottK. Please give credit (and thanks or rep) to Dinglebat.

I often get frustrated when I see users posting 10 posts, contributing nothing to the threads, and then applying for a GFT invite. Technically they’re not breaking any rules, but it still breaks my heart when I see the response “Okay, PM me your email address.”
    All of us would like to protect our accounts (I hope), and invite only people who are deserving, particularly with our more “exclusive” invites. This is a guide to ensuring that your invitee is as deserving as possible.

Screens/Proofs

Few people seem to realise how easy these are to fake. I’ve posted an example below (I couldn’t be bothered taking the time to work out the actual ratio, GB/day, post/day etc, but you get the idea). Now, obviously that one is completely unbelievable – but what if I made one saying, say 200GB uploaded and 100GB downloaded?

So what should you ask for? The only way I’ve found is to ask for direct profile links and PM the user on the tracker, asking if he is who he says he is. Obviously, you need to be on the same trackers though.

Check their current trackers – do they need this invite?
    I always check which trackers the users’ posting history as well as their screenshots, to see what trackers they are currently using. I can then judge whether this person actually wants this tracker for a good reason, or just to add to a collection.
    For example, if I’m giving away a TL invite, I’ll have a look – if they’re already a member of SCC, IPT, RevTT, IPT and Pretome, then I’m not going to invite them to TL. You can usually find this information in Tracker Discussion threads as well as the Giveaway forum.

Check their recent posts
    Have a look – if someone has received 2-3 invites in the last week, they’re not going to be active at any tracker which you invite them to.

Look at their overall history
    Don’t just assume because they have 200 posts that they’re a good member – often half of those posts are complete spam!

Don’t be afraid to wait
    Just because you’ve advertised an invite, don’t feel it has to be given away quickly. If you don’t feel any of the people applying for it, keep the invite until someone deserving comes along.

Google screenshots
    This is one I always do. When someone posts a screenshot, I copy the filename, and paste it into google. Forums such as T-I and FST are open to guests, and therefore Google Spiders, so you may find the screenshot has been posted somewhere else. Check the user’s posts at the other forum, and you may find something interesting.
    On more than one occasion, I’ve found cheats through this method; either they’ve stolen someone else’s proofs, or they’re lying about something.

Don’t be afraid to ask other members
    If you’re new, or unsure about the member, feel free to ask senior members in the IRC or Chatbox, how they feel about that member. In particular, look for any other threads in which they’ve received invites, and ask their inviter whether they’re a good member.

Make them jump through hoops
    In my opinion, it’s far too easy for users to paste a couple of screenshots and a speedtest which they’ve used previously, and write ‘Can I have a XXX invite please?’.
    Although forcing them to enter your name in the URL bar does force them to put some effort in, I personally ask them to post a joke, a funny pic, or something similar.
    Now, this basically puts off collectors. Often they will not put the effort in, and will look elsewhere for an invite.

Credit to Dinglebat. "I" here is him
    Last edited by JustJenna; February 17, 2010, 06:57 AM.

Man, you're on a roll! Thank you for this information. I thought that people were a bit paranoid about faking proofs because I'm pretty good, or so I thought, with editing software and I didn't believe that it was possible to make something as convincing as what you show here. I will certainly take this more seriously in the future as I would really hate to get duped out of an invite.

I've heard about providing profile links before but I would not do it I guess do to lack of knowledge. What good are they and can someone use it to do harm? I guess from what you've written that it can only be used if the receiver of the link is on the tracker as well? Thanks again, I wish I could thank you formally as I did find this useful.

Comment

What good are they and can someone use it to do harm?

- personally, if u didnt trust your inviter, how can they trust u and give u invite (logically?)

it can only be used if the receiver of the link is on the tracker as well?

- true enough

the good is, u will take care of that acc. because if u cheat, every profile u have (acc) probably will get ban too

Comment

Great tips mate, especially the one regarding googling the file name. rep given :)

Comment

Cheers for that ScottK that has helped me out b4 i start to post some invite that i have to hand out now i shall take more time on to chose who i will invite

Comment

What you say is perfectly right and I do share some of this spirit, even though, I believe that if we put this much effort into doing all those things (that, for God's sake, are necessary) we end up with not being a community anymore, but some sort of anarchy in which nobody trusts nobody.

Sure, these things have to be enforced, like you said, to protect everyone's accounts, but we have to remember that this si a sort of "closed" forum, inasmuch members are to be approved. So, if repping in is made a little bit more complicated, perhaps, cheaters could be sieved out before they can act. (Well I should say more cheaters, as a lot of them are caught by the incredible work that moderators do).

For what concerns some users that post very little, well, you can't judge them just because they don't do it. Maybe they can spend very little time on T-I to post, or they just don't know what to say. Don't ever judge a book from its cover!

Comment

ScottK, please stop posting other peoples post as your topics. Once in a while its okay but doing it so often is blatant abuse and rep cheating. Further behavior like this will result in deleted topics or infractions.

Comment

Originally posted by JustJenna View Post
                ScottK, please stop posting other peoples post as your topics. Once in a while its okay but doing it so often is blatant abuse and rep cheating. Further behavior like this will result in deleted topics or infractions.
                this is from a website. i think he get a very good idea and it supposed to shared here. should i make summarise on my own next time? because this is exactly what he said. i dont like to change because it will look like steal

Comment

Working...
                X