Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the alternatives to torrents?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are the alternatives to torrents?

    I was reading a torrent freak article which said...

    Over the past years, most pirates in the UK have shifted towards direct download and streaming services. Since the copyright alerts only target P2P sharing, it will have less of an impact today than it would have a few years ago.

    I know about exodus/Kodi and popcorn time.... But what else are people using?

  • #2
    nobody at all? surprises me!

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure why you find that surprising...

      Lol, I'll chime in. This community is pretty quiet, just a bunch of people wanting invites to trackers. Never got any, but who cares. You mentioned Kodi, and that is definitely one of the best out there, granted quality is usually not that great and the content that TV Addons stream are more recent.

      Now, if you are wanting something non-mainstream, older, and in high quality, torrents are the goto. But you want alternatives... ever heard of Usenet? Research tonight about it, it is honestly seriously good. Before I found torrents, Usenet was my thing. Usenet has indexers (DogNZB, Binsearch, NZB.su, PF). Think of them as trackers (BTN, IPT, PTP). They're a lot different, but its easier to think of them in that way. They often get releases from P2P trackers within 2 or 3 hours. You will need money. Why? Research man. Keep in mind however that often content is removed rather quickly.

      But really, torrents beat out both of these due to its retention, quality, and community aspects, especially on higher, elite trackers. but like you say, "anything thats considered 'elite'. if its hard to get into its probably rubbish!"

      Comment


      • #4
        the torrent itself
        direct download is more limited

        Comment


        • #5
          I've dabbled with Kodi and have an on again/off again relationship with newsgroups. I found Kodi to be remarkably unstable - you need to know what you're doing and stay on top of the "channels". It's also not guaranteed to work the night you want to cuddle up with your better half and actually watch something. Still, there's the streaming click click click angle that P2P doesn't cater to.

          I think the community and stability of a good tracker is pretty hard to beat and P2P is where I spend most of my efforts.

          Comment


          • #6
            There's only usenet out there as a alternavite but it sucks currently

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GTZero View Post
              There's only usenet out there as a alternavite but it sucks currently
              Why currently? What's changed about it that would make it recently sucky? I'm curious. Usenet is old as dirt so I assume it's relative stable from one moment to the next.
              Last edited by MBR; December 20, 2016, 10:17 AM. Reason: typo

              Comment


              • #8
                I wrote it wrong. It sucks compared to private trackers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GTZero View Post
                  I wrote it wrong. It sucks compared to private trackers.
                  Ah! I'll buy that. I always feel like I'm missing out on something when people start to talking about usenet. Then I buckle, get a usenet account, get on there, and wonder what all the fuss is about. I repeat this cycle once ever couple of years! I'm glad to get some feedback that supports the way I feel about it all.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well there is still IRC bots and then there are newsgroups. Torrents are still pretty robust as they have plenty of 'seeders'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can recommend IRC from past experienc. On a side note, I only downloaded ebooks from IRC so I don't know if it can handle large files,movies tv.
                      I also heard good things about Soulseek yet never personally tried it.
                      Have fun experimenting!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        usenet has better speeds for older scene files and it is technically less illegal than torrents
                        Soulseek has manu things but it is a little messy and it nowhere near what limewire used to be
                        also check this software alternativeto.net/software/emule and its alternatives under it

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by foxxxman View Post
                          usenet has better speeds for older scene files and it is technically less illegal than torrents
                          Soulseek has manu things but it is a little messy and it nowhere near what limewire used to be
                          also check this software alternativeto.net/software/emule and its alternatives under it
                          Hey foxxxman, thanks for joining the discussion. So you gotta help me here because what you wrote flies in the face of what I've thought about usenets. I've always been led to believe that usenet (or newsgroups) are actually worse for older media because of retention issues. Has your experience been opposite? Also - I'm not sure what technically less illegal means. I think illegal is illegal though usenet certainly seems to avoid the crosshairs of law enforcement.

                          I'm not being flippant or snarky here by the way - I'm genuinely curious to get your thoughts here.

                          Cheers,
                          MBR

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MBR View Post
                            Hey foxxxman, thanks for joining the discussion. So you gotta help me here because what you wrote flies in the face of what I've thought about usenets. I've always been led to believe that usenet (or newsgroups) are actually worse for older media because of retention issues. Has your experience been opposite? Also - I'm not sure what technically less illegal means. I think illegal is illegal though usenet certainly seems to avoid the crosshairs of law enforcement.

                            I'm not being flippant or snarky here by the way - I'm genuinely curious to get your thoughts here.

                            Cheers,
                            MBR
                            not sure what retention issues are but when i used usenet i had the same speeds no matter how old the file was, but it's been a while so don't taka my word for it
                            using usenet is only downloading while torrenting is both downloading AND uploading, so if you look japan for example en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sharing_in_Japan you will see that their difference is 8 years in prison !!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Warez sites like softarchive.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X