Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that What.CD is gone, what are good alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TorrentialVortex View Post
    Currently a four horse race for the WCD spot right now:-

- Waffles (currently offline for another week at least I'd say) but not gazelle.

- Xanax (open signups right now and so biggest active tracker with limit of 20k users (16k + right now!) before they go private) ,endorsed by SCC.

- PassTheHeadphones - said to be the best of the new ones with ex PTP guy in charge, need to be TM in PTP or >1yr user in HDB to get an invite with the the bar moving downwards after some time.

- NoStream - ex BTN guy in charge, got a load of bad vibes initially for bad security precautions but they can easily be improved. Private and not sure how to get in but it is going and people do seem to like it also.

Yep so things are now moving ahead with the WCD replacement with three new trackers and one old established one with possible financial difficulties in the race.
    Thanks for this info! Looks like Xanax is no longer open and same with PassTheHeadphones. Time to look for invites I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SteviLGenius View Post
      Here are a few I like

Panda.cd (open signup)
      Punktorrents (open ssignup)
      xanax.cd (new open signup)
      zombtracker
      synthesiz3r (down right now)
      tribalmixes
      fullmixmusic
      HotVibes (invite only)
      DnBtracker (down right now)

these are a few and most of them are open sign up at least for now.
      Thanks for these I will check them out while waiting for Xanax or PassTheHeadphones to open up too.

Comment

I feel like such a fool for missing xanax's open signups. grumble grumble

Comment

Originally posted by fizzlefry View Post
          I feel like such a fool for missing xanax's open signups. grumble grumble

I feel the same way, but I really feel like invites will start floating out before too long. 20k users isn't a ton if they are trying to rival what WCD was.

Comment

Can't get 150k users in in a few days, it would be even more chaotic.

Comment

Hopefully they will get an interview up and running too

Comment

I got my what account by doing an interview.

TBH, it seemed kinda strange to me that I could get in as a totally unverified stranger. That site was a precious resource.

Comment

I think interviews will start again just like What. But probably not for a month or more at least.

Comment

rutracker

Comment

At the moment the best bets are : 1) Apollo - Xanax changed name to apollo.rip. 2) PTH (Pass The Headphones). Registration is closed for both the sites though.
                      Stay away from NoStream. It is a mess. Just go to reddit and check the details about Nostream.

Comment

There are a few around, Apollo, PTH and nostream has just opened back up again

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofmusic View Post
                          There are a few around, Apollo, PTH and nostream has just opened back up again
                          is nostream not accesable now?

Comment

Posted this elsewhere, but here it goes:

What.cd was my my one and only place to discover and download music. With it going down I decided to give spotify a serious try.
                            Like many of you, my heart goes to the torrenting scene, but I have to say that so far I have been enjoying the experience.

I gathered with 4 friends and we bought the spotify premium family pack. It's 1,83 / month each for unrestricted adfree 320kbps streams. Having a cell plan that includes unlimited data for spotify, it's a choice worth considering, if you don't need flac quality or listen to very obscure stuff (even though so far it has surprised me with a few stuff I listened to wich I thought it wouldn't have there).

A few things I'm liking:
                            • Ease of use
                            • Option to download albums/playlists for offline use
                            • Weekly "discover playlist"s made from spotify to you, where it gives you new stuff to listen to based on your activity
                            • Daily mixes, endless playlists where it mixes stuff you listen to with new things for you to discover
                            • Last.fm sync (for the few people that still use it for some reason lol)
                            • Friend following, which shows you on the sidebar what your friends are listening to. Cool to get to know their tastes better and to have some new ideas for yourself. I also use this to follow a couple of my favorite youtubers and check what their listening to.

Possible downsides:
                            • The downloaded tracks can only be played by spotify. You can play them offline in your pc or phone, but you can't put them in a cd to listen in the car, for example. Most people use bluetooth or aux connections anyway.
                            • From your big music collection, the most obscure albums may not be found there.
                            • No option above 320kbps
                            • No high quality cover art

For now I will keep giving this a try. I don't think services like netflix can even try to compete with ptp/btn, but spotify just might be able to do it for me when it comes to music. Feel free to ask questions about it.

Cheers, Kev :)
                            Last edited by Kevin; December 25, 2016, 03:11 PM.
                            Undaunted by the obstacles before him, he barrels through the injustices in search of the truth.
                            His success is inevitable, his victory undeniable, for he is... The Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                              Posted this elsewhere, but here it goes:

What.cd was my my one and only place to discover and download music. With it going down I decided to give spotify a serious try.
                              Like many of you, my heart goes to the torrenting scene, but I have to say that so far I have been enjoying the experience.

I gathered with 4 friends and we bought the spotify premium family pack. It's 1,83 / month each for unrestricted adfree 320kbps streams. Having a cell plan that includes unlimited data for spotify, it's a choice worth considering, if you don't need flac quality or listen to very obscure stuff (even though so far it has surprised me with a few stuff I listened to wich I thought it wouldn't have there).

A few things I'm liking:
                              • Ease of use
                              • Option to download albums/playlists for offline use
                              • Weekly "discover playlist"s made from spotify to you, where it gives you new stuff to listen to based on your activity
                              • Daily mixes, endless playlists where it mixes stuff you listen to with new things for you to discover
                              • Last.fm sync (for the few people that still use it for some reason lol)
                              • Friend following, which shows you on the sidebar what your friends are listening to. Cool to get to know their tastes better and to have some new ideas for yourself. I also use this to follow a couple of my favorite youtubers and check what their listening to.

Possible downsides:
                              • The downloaded tracks can only be played by spotify. You can play them offline in your pc or phone, but you can't put them in a cd to listen in the car, for example. Most people use bluetooth or aux connections anyway.
                              • From your big music collection, the most obscure albums may not be found there.
                              • No option above 320kbps
                              • No high quality cover art

For now I will keep giving this a try. I don't think services like netflix can even try to compete with ptp/btn, but spotify just might be able to do it for me when it comes to music. Feel free to ask questions about it.

Cheers, Kev :)
                              Apollo is looking very promising at this moment. The music library is growing really fast and some of my personal rarities are already there. I do want to check out passtheheadphones though.

So I've had a student $5 subscription to Spotify but then switched to Apple Music. It's good when your on the fly and traveling.

However, collecting music in lossless formats is still pretty important. One can enjoy it in much higher quality with higher end equipment, transcode to lossy formats (for mobile devices), locally stream to client devices from a music server, have a backup, and of course collect rarities that Spotify and others do not have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=132034]Kevin[/MENTION]:
                                Are you sure there is no way to rip your musics into CDs?
                                Maybe try spotifyrecorder or spotify-ripper for Linux. There are many tools for that. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X