Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN or not?

Hello,

I'm thinking about paying for a VPN service, is it necessary? and what's the best one based on reliability, speed, and cost?

Hey,
    It is not necessary to use VPN if you don΄t want to. Although it greatly improves your privacy when downloading torrents especially from public trackers.
    I have heard good about ExpressVPN but I really don΄t use them as I use only seedbox with SFTP connection so it runs the same thing.

You could also think of getting a low-grade seedbox which is almost the same as the cost of the vpn and you could download your content straight from it.
    Also with a seedbox your torrents get seeded even without your computer on (on my country electricity is really expensive ~0,30 € / kWh so its giving also some savings for me as I dont have my comp on all the time). If you want to look for seedboxes there are reviews here: Seedbox Reviews

People like to recommend:
    - Feralhosting
    - Seedhost.eu
    - Seedbox.io
    - PulsedMedia

Hope any of this helps.

Comment

So it seems as though a seedbox is the way to go over VPN and leaving a computer on all day.
      Is the setup easy?
      I only use Macintosh.
      Thanks

Comment

For a low cost you will get managed seedbox which will be set up by the service provider so it is very easy to set up for basic functions such as rTorrent & FTP connection.
        The providers are also providing support with ticket system so if you have something in mind just ask and they will try to answer your problems. So if you want to try a seedbox be sure to choose a reputable provider as some of the news are a quite shady with lousy or aggressive support.

I myself use seedhost.eu and will rep for its superior support Although it has an upload bandwidth limits so low cost ones will fill that with ease. So if you really want to power-use your box you should pick one with unlimited upload data or at least much higher than 1 TB.

For you I would recommend:
        - Seedbox.io - 5€ plan with Unlimited 100Mbit speed & 200 GiB HDD.
        - PulsedMedia: MAX250 S plan - 7.99 € with 1 Gbps network with 10 TiB upload bandwitdh / month & 910 GiB HDD.

There are also many more providers but these are only what I have tried and with the given experience from using those I can recommend those to you.
        Hopefully someone else wants to share their views also so Im not the only one giving you advice as user experience can vary a lot

Comment

Great, thanks very much for the info! I'll definitely go the seedbed route. Security wise do I need a VPN as well or is the seedbox safe enough alone?

Comment

@ vic_c
            seedboxes.cc > Plex Support, Ftp, Sftp, Ssh, Http Proxy, Vpn Acces included(OpenVPN, L2TP, Softether ..)

I have used in the past
            Last edited by VadVoci; September 21, 2016, 03:00 PM.
            Free 4 All & All 4 Free

Comment

consider getting purevpn thru stacksocial

Comment

Originally posted by VadVoci View Post
                @ vic_c
                seedboxes.cc > Plex Support, Ftp, Sftp, Ssh, Http Proxy, Vpn Acces included(OpenVPN, L2TP, Softether ..)

I have used in the past
                Plex Support too? That's a major plus!
                Thanks!

Comment

Plex support comes with many seedbox services but the cost is at least 10 € / month.
                  Im having plex with seedhost.eu and plex is supported from 17 € plans and up.

Depends on how much you can or want to spend per month for the seedbox.
                  I originally recommended you low-tier (with the low cost) plans as you wanted first to use VPN which isnt much more than 5 € / month.

Comment

Anyone here using a VPN or a seedbox as a vpn due to the anti-piracy laws in their country ?

Comment

[MENTION=93195]circle[/MENTION] for me that is the reason. Here have been cases where lawyers have sent letters with settlement requests for money. Varying what you have loaded - from 100 € to thousands.
                      Better safe than sorry and use encrypted traffic to prevent these cases from happening.

Comment

The thing is I know people who live in countries where there are no laws against piracy and yet they think they need to use a vpn which really is not the case.
                        All I'm saying is regardless of what others do using a vpn might be a waste if you live in a country where piracy is tolerated.

Comment

Really good point there!
                          I havent had a thought that there would be some countries torrent friendly as you can read on the news after few days that somewhere have been a raid against torrenting...

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceHunt3r View Post
                            Plex support comes with many seedbox services but the cost is at least 10 € / month.
                            Im having plex with seedhost.eu and plex is supported from 17 € plans and up.

Depends on how much you can or want to spend per month for the seedbox.
                            I originally recommended you low-tier (with the low cost) plans as you wanted first to use VPN which isnt much more than 5 € / month.
                            Thanks,
                            I think I'll start with something low-mid and go from there. Most of my Plex usage is from my home NAS, but it's good to know the seedboxes support Plex as well. I had no idea!

Comment

A seedbox is definitely a good alternative. Actually, when you think about it, most Seedbox providers actually include a VPN with the box as well!

good seedbox providers:

FeralHosting
                              Seedboxes.cc
                              ultraseedbox.com
                              bytesized-hosting.com

Feralhosting is the only one on there that does not include a vpn with their service, however it is still my personal favourite for their low cost that includes UNLIMITED traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X