Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it necessary to use a different email for each private tracker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotmail also used to have the option to make alias, not sure if you still can anymore though

Comment

Hotmail spam protection is too aggressive for trackers. It's great for private mail though.

Comment

Originally posted by GTZero View Post
        Hotmail spam protection is too aggressive for trackers. It's great for private mail though.
        I used to think so too, until one of my hotmail accounts of many years was arbitrarily shut down by Microsoft last month. I'm still unsure what happened because they won't tell me anything other than my account MAY have violated their terms of use. Their boilerplate email even went so far as to say that my account may have been compromised (hacked) and due to subsequent activity was closed. I was not allowed back on and no emails/addresses could be recovered. I was pretty ticked-off to say the least. I sent a few emails to get more info but I got the same stupid answer until the final that read that there would be no more communication on the matter. WTF? I can only get SO angry because it's a free account, but still - really annoying. Good thing I didn't have anything important on it! I've got a lot of clients on MSFT's premium hosted Exchange system and I wonder how draconian their policy is there. At least if I owned the domain (one of my own) I could have simply hosted it somewhere else and have been back in business. Food for thought.

Comment

Im using one back from 2007. Hope I won't get problems ;)

Comment

Originally posted by GTZero View Post
            Im using one back from 2007. Hope I won't get problems ;)
            Yeah, mine was ancient as well. I had emails from people I don't even remember anymore!

But let mine be a cautionary tale! POP3 your email out of there into an archive or something and make sure you have all your contact emails!

Also, and this is funny, but even after they "closed" my account, the email forwarding I had setup continues to function! So I can still get any new emails sent there but can't access the account. A+ on security, Microsoft. It's a good example of being so big and complex you can't manage the system 100% effectively anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by whimsy View Post
              This is an interesting topic for me because I don't quite understand the rationale for having multiple email addresses for trackers. I guess I understand why the TI one should be different but why the trackers?
              I guess that you two fellas haven't hung around the block enough to appreciate this layer of anonymity.

Using a unique username + email per tracker can prevent your accounts from getting unjustly banned and hacked due to a leaked tracker database. Yes each has happened in the past and it's really unfortunate.

Say one person from your invite tree or from your inviter ratio cheats, exploits a site bug, or sells an invite. That could get that person or the entire tree banned. Then they can cross-check a black list of banned IP and email addresses for yours or they can add you to it.

Yes trackers do share their blacklists with other trackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Proleteriat; December 28, 2016, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Proleteriat View Post
                I guess that you two fellas haven't hung around the block enough to appreciate this layer of anonymity.

Using a unique username + email per tracker can prevent your accounts from getting unjustly banned and hacked due to a leaked tracker database. Yes each has happened in the past and it's really unfortunate.

Say one person from your invite tree or from your inviter ratio cheats, exploits a site bug, or sells an invite. That could get that person or the entire tree banned. Then they can cross-check a black list of banned IP and email addresses for yours or they can add you to it.

Yes trackers do share their blacklists with other trackers.

Thanks for upping my paranoia level, Proletariat!

It's a wonder people give away invites at all! I'm always so nervous that I will invite that one boob that ruins it for me and my invite tree that I sometimes shy away from sharing an invite to a site that I would really really really hate to get banned from.

I just did an Apollo giveaway but there was some safety there as even the guys from Apollo were allowing invite giveaways during the site's infancy.

How do you get over those "can I trust this guy" nerves??

Comment

You always take a risk inviting someone. You can do your best to make sure that the invitee will follow the rules by asking for ratio proofs, checking igiver history, forum activity, and checking their intros that they submitted (says a lot). This is the only way to vet someone. You can also ask for unedited ratio proofs at your request.

Use lastpass to store each tracker login info and email. Then make a manual back up with keepass (password manager) and another on a text file. Then encrypt them inside an encrypted file container with TrueCrypt. Keep them in flash drive or in the cloud. Yeah it's tedious but it's totally worth it when something hits the fan.

Last edited by Proleteriat; December 28, 2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Proleteriat View Post
                    You always take a risk inviting someone. You can do your best to make sure that the invitee will follow the rules by asking for ratio proofs, checking igiver history, forum activity, and checking their intros that they submitted (says a lot). This is the only way to vet someone. You can also ask for unedited ratio proofs at your request.

Use lastpass to store each tracker login info and email. Then make a manual back up with keepass (password manager) and another on a text file. Then encrypt them inside an encrypted file container with TrueCrypt. Keep them in flash drive or in the cloud. Yeah it's tedious but it's totally worth it when something hits the fan.

I love your level of paranoia. Now while are you at it, use VeraCrypt. Decryption can take longer time on some of their encryption methods.
                    Basically same thing, harder to brute-force, a fork from TrueCrypt Project where they left off.
                    Spreading different pieces of your file over the clouds can be a good idea too.
                    But what do you do about cross-checking your IP address on different trackers specially when you are not allowed to use VPN?

Comment

Originally posted by lentil View Post
                      But what do you do about cross-checking your IP address on different trackers specially when you are not allowed to use VPN?
                      I would call my ISP and ask to see if I could have a new IP address assigned and make up an excuse. Then I would cancel my seed box service and get another just to change the IP address as well. Some trackers do allow for a vpn to be used given that you ask staff for permission first. Look at the tracker wiki section.

Comment

It's interesting. Maybe you can say something about this software for extracting email addresses from websites https://www.massmailsoftware.com/extractweb/ How effective is it?

Comment

Thanks for sharing your tips here. I am really interested in learning new tools to manage my work. I got lots of workers and I need to control them and at the same time make their job more comfortable. This team https://uibakery.io/ really helps me much every time when I ask them to build a new app for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X