Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is it bad to have multiple trackers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • why is it bad to have multiple trackers?

    I was reading over the beginners guide and it says that you should only use 1 tracker per category. If you use more trackers you open the torrent to multiple torrent sites which increases the amount of seeds you have to download from and once you complete the download you can seed to multiple torrent sites.

  • #2
    Originally posted by GoochMcNuts View Post
    I was reading over the beginners guide and it says that you should only use 1 tracker per category. If you use more trackers you open the torrent to multiple torrent sites which increases the amount of seeds you have to download from and once you complete the download you can seed to multiple torrent sites.
    What you are talking about is cross seeding, you can only download a single torrent from one site but you can seed that same single torrent across multiple sites,

    Sent from my HTC 10
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      But remember not to upload the same torrent file you downloaded to other tracker as it contains the original tracker announce adress with your passkey.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by satxSPURS View Post
        What you are talking about is cross seeding, you can only download a single torrent from one site but you can seed that same single torrent across multiple sites,

        Sent from my HTC 10
        Ok but the guide refers to cross seeding to be a nice time saver to maintain your trackers (not sure how you maintain a tracker, you just copy/paste it into the tracker list and your set). So should I be cross seeding or only use one tracker cuz I can't really do both.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GoochMcNuts View Post
          Ok but the guide refers to cross seeding to be a nice time saver to maintain your trackers (not sure how you maintain a tracker, you just copy/paste it into the tracker list and your set). So should I be cross seeding or only use one tracker cuz I can't really do both.
          Cross seeding involves more than one tracker.

          Sent from my HTC 10
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SilenceHunt3r View Post
            But remember not to upload the same torrent file you downloaded to other tracker as it contains the original tracker announce adress with your passkey.
            Ok so cross seeding isn't a big deal for public torrent sites but if I ever get invited to a private one I should just keep the 1 tracker from that site so other people don't get my log in info and pose as me right?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GoochMcNuts View Post
              Ok so cross seeding isn't a big deal for public torrent sites but if I ever get invited to a private one I should just keep the 1 tracker from that site right?
              Yeah seeding isn't a requirement on public trackers that I know of. Private tracker sites require seeding, those requirements differ from site to site. Ratio less tracker sites usually just require that you seed the downloaded torrent for a set minimum amount of hours. Others require that you maintain a 1:1 ratio on downloaded to uploaded.

              Sent from my HTC 10
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Always first step in joining a private torrent site, is read the rules.

                Sent from my HTC 10
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  In some tracks, make cross seeding is not allowed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    sometimes, some of rare torrents not have seeder and im looking other trackers i have :)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In general it just takes more effort to maintain a good ratio on multiple trackers. If you are able to cross-seed then more power to you. Just make sure it is allowed by the tracker!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I found it useful to have a couple of trackers in each main category I am interested in, even if I do not always use them regularly.
                        That way I have a spare in case a site dies, or I get kicked off for giving invites on TI. It does take a bit more work though...
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X