Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can an ISP "see" when I am torrenting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can an ISP "see" when I am torrenting?

I have a seedbox and use rutorrent as my online client.
    I dl to my seedbox then grab the file with Filezilla.
    My question is, what information can an ISP find out under these 2 circumstances?
    Meaning:
    (a) When I search my tracker and then select a file to download to the seedbox.
    (b) When I copy that file to my local hard drive using SFTP (Filezilla).
    Am I quite safe?
    Can they find out which websites I have visited?
    Is it better to use a VPN also, or is that overkill?
    I just want to be as safe as possible.
    Thanks for any input/help.

ISP can monitor your all packets.
    The packet is based unit of data transfer on the internet.
    When you're browsing something on the Internet, NIC is sending your request/datas by packet.
    Anyway, if you're browsing without SSL, then all the packets are not encrypted, and the ISP can monitor yours.
    So be careful to browse on the Internet/Transfer some files from anywhere to local-drives.

SFTP -> encrypted.
    HTTPS -> encrypted.
    SSH -> encrypted.

FTP -> None.
    HTTP -> None.
    Telnet -> None.

Ps : Not safe to use VPN as well, but better way than home-network.
    Of course if the VPN company doesn't care DMCA, it's fine, but nobody knows, what the company will do in the future.
    They can save the logs what you do on VPN.
    There is no secure way hundred percentage.
    Last edited by perl; October 22, 2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but what do you mean by "browsing without SSL"?
      So, the ISP can "see" if I'm using a private tracker?
      I transfer the files to my hd with SFTP, so they can't know what data I am transferring.
      I know there is no 100% safety, but I want to be as close as possible to it!

Comment

The ISP doesn't do the reporting and monitoring.
        The ISP just gets the notices from DMCA organizations that do the monitoring and the ISP forwards that to the client.

Comment

Originally posted by MimiCrs View Post
          Thanks for the input, but what do you mean by "browsing without SSL"?
          So, the ISP can "see" if I'm using a private tracker?
          I transfer the files to my hd with SFTP, so they can't know what data I am transferring.
          I know there is no 100% safety, but I want to be as close as possible to it!
          Doing something by Web-browser without SSL. it means the datas/packets are not encrypted.
          Yes, it can see/know which trackers you use, if it tries to know what you are doing, the packets can be analyzed.

Comment

As I noticed that you are worried about your privacy and security that's why you keep repeating your question in different phrases.
            Here is a good suggestion that would let you sleep peacefully.
            1- Purchase a good paid VPN that does not log your info or activities period. NOw if the VPN does not have your log then they have no information what so ever about what you do on the net and what you download. VPN is excellent for public tracker, browsing the net, downloading form web site. When you use VPN and connet to the internet then its not your IP who is running around on the internet its VPN's IP. Read reviews at torrent freak.
            2- Purchase seedbox , now seed box does every thing for you , you are out of picture your ip will be safe. Its not who downloaded .torrent file, the real matter is who downloaded the actual data.
            Note: Do not create account on tracker using VPN. Just let the tracker staff know that you are going to use VPN .
            Last edited by Macadod; January 20, 2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perl View Post
              ISP can monitor your all packets.
              The packet is based unit of data transfer on the internet.
              When you're browsing something on the Internet, NIC is sending your request/datas by packet.
              Anyway, if you're browsing without SSL, then all the packets are not encrypted, and the ISP can monitor yours.
              So be careful to browse on the Internet/Transfer some files from anywhere to local-drives.

SFTP -> encrypted.
              HTTPS -> encrypted.
              SSH -> encrypted.

FTP -> None.
              HTTP -> None.
              Telnet -> None.

Ps : Not safe to use VPN as well, but better way than home-network.
              Of course if the VPN company doesn't care DMCA, it's fine, but nobody knows, what the company will do in the future.
              They can save the logs what you do on VPN.
              There is no secure way hundred percentage.

So how can one make his BitTorrent Client safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Sagittarius View Post
                So how can one make his BitTorrent Client safe?
                Browsing/Downloading/Uploading with SSL/HTTPS/SSH/SFTP.

Never using public trackers on home-network, or using it via VPN.
                Never using trackers where not support HTTPS.

OR

Seedbox.

Comment

If the tracker is SSL then its not a problem as the information is encrypted, If the tracker is not SSL then seedbox is a good way to prevent what you are downloading from ISP.

Comment

Working...
                  X