Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a New Hard Drive: Internal or External?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a New Hard Drive: Internal or External?

hey guys,

My internal hard drive is low on space. So, I am thinking of buying a new one. The question is, for torrenting, which is a better option: External or Internal?

I am looking to add an extra 4TB space so that I can leave my PC seeding nearly 24/7. Taking all these factors, what are some makes you would recommend to me?

Thank YOU

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

I would recommend internal.. I prefer internal since i will not be moving my drives around the house
    I used to think that today would never come

Comment

My personal preference has been and will stay WD drives. I have never had any issues with them and they last ages. I currently have two WD 2TB Reds in my home server.

On a side note, regardless of who's name is on the drive, I believe there are now only two manufacturers of hard drives. WD & Seagate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get an internal HDD, no doubt :D

Comment

Depends on if you mobo and psu have connections for another internal. If you have spare power and mobo connections for internal i would say that's the way to go personally. Everything in one box :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Internal HDD would be better, imo.

Comment

If you plan on seeding from your computer 24/7, I'd definitely recommend an internal drive.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Newbie View Post
                Internal HDD would be better, imo.
                Originally posted by hornkeen View Post
                Get an internal HDD, no doubt :D
                Originally posted by ExtractTruth View Post
                I would recommend internal.. I prefer internal since i will not be moving my drives around the house
                Originally posted by kaneone View Post
                If you plan on seeding from your computer 24/7, I'd definitely recommend an internal drive.

Is 4TB internal ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Sagittarius View Post
                  Is 4TB internal ok?
                  And where was my quote. How very rude :-p

4TB is a massive amount of storage to have yes but it's all subjective really. If you going to be grabbing 720p TV Shows for example they are only about 1GB ish. WEB-DL's are bigger and then BD rips are even bigger still. The same goes for music MP3 vs. FLAC and movies BD Rips vs REMUX's vs complete BD's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, WD 4tb is great! :D

Not long ago I also bought a WD 4tb, and it has been working well. I agree that internal is better, but I was out of physical space for internal drives in my system...
                    I have seen a lot of Seagate drives fail over the last few years, though thankfully none of them was mine (yet). I hope Seagate gets their act together, but I'll stick to WD for now. I'm glad that the hard drive prices have started coming down over the past year or so, they were staying the same for so long after that flood in Thailand.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new drive!

Comment

Originally posted by william_ View Post
                      Yeah, WD 4tb is great! :D

Not long ago I also bought a WD 4tb, and it has been working well. I agree that internal is better, but I was out of physical space for internal drives in my system...
                      I have seen a lot of Seagate drives fail over the last few years, though thankfully none of them was mine (yet). I hope Seagate gets their act together, but I'll stick to WD for now. I'm glad that the hard drive prices have started coming down over the past year or so, they were staying the same for so long after that flood in Thailand.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new drive!
                      +1 from me.
                      I've been using a 40GB WD for 4 years and it is working very well.
                      However, 7 months ago, I bought a 1TB SeaGate and it got corrupt within 5 months. Fortunately, it was during the warranty period so I got a replacement.
                      But, the data loss was a sad spectacle.

Comment

Yah.. 4TB is fine :) But if you have some money around get 6TB.. A little pricey thou
                        I used to think that today would never come

Comment

Originally posted by ExtractTruth View Post
                          Yah.. 4TB is fine :) But if you have some money around get 6TB.. A little pricey thou
                          Yep, 6TB is the best If You have got the Monaay...

Comment

mine
                            1st pc Seagate ST1000DM003

2nd pc (media streaming powerhouse)
                            The primary hard drive is a U320 SCSI raid (raid 5) made up of 5 Quantum Atlas 15000 RPM 68 pin U320 drives in 4 dedicated coolermaster cool drive 4 units with fan and alarm function. Drive 5 is cooled by an 8cm fan attached to the bottom of its 3 inch bay. Adaptec 2130 U320 SCSI card in PCI-X slot.
                            4 (four) x 1 TB Western digital HDD are installed and connected to the onboard SATA ports.

So if 1 dies hotswap (easy to recover/replace)

My rig was alternative to a bentley when it was made the case cost nearly 250 (mahogany).

Try to get internal or usb3 external if pc's MB is capable

SeaGate freeagent lasted 6yrs only broke due to dropping
                            Last edited by Tibbons; January 26, 2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

First thank you all guys for all the input and especially @blackvenom @hornkeen @ExtractTruth @The_Newbie [MENTION=30040]sebas[/MENTION]tlene

I have decided to go with 2 x 2TB WD internal drives, so that, if according to sebastlene one is corrupt, I don't need to lose all my data :)

@blackvenom Sorry if I was rude to you buddy :D I didn't mean to. I just didn't get to click the multi-quote button next to your post :D

Comment

Working...
                              X