Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are YIFY releases much smaller than Private release groups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are YIFY releases much smaller than Private release groups?

Hey guys whats up!
    So this question has lingered in my mind for some time now.I always see that 1080p YIFY encodes don't go above 3GB file size whereas most of the private releases(CtrlHD,wiki,Legion) have an avg. size of 10 GB.Is there a pronounced quality difference in these two? (I really never noticed)
    Thanks!

I have noticed this , but usually if more then one release is available I DL the highest file size 1080P encode. So this means I usually don't download their releases. I have a pretty discerning eye for video quality , but some don't , so a lower bitrate encode likely wouldn't bother some/most people.

I'd also throw in most of those that are picky about video quality aren't going to notice low bit (video < 10mbps ) rate on a movie with mostly dialogue (comedy,drama, etc.)

So in short yes there is a difference,but most people are unlikely to notice in my experience.

Just my 2cents

Comment

YIFY has very low bitrate and crappy audio codec used.. Thats why there releases are small in size.. Hate those types of releases. But people with low internet connection will love it and people who dont care that much about quality
      I used to think that today would never come

Comment

Originally posted by ExtractTruth View Post
        YIFY has very low bitrate and crappy audio codec used.. Thats why there releases are small in size.. Hate those types of releases. But people with low internet connection will love it and people who dont care that much about quality
        Hmm,I am not able to find any mentioned bitrate on Yify's official site for any movie,can you give me a bitrate comparison? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Radiocraft View Post
          Hmm,I am not able to find any mentioned bitrate on Yify's official site for any movie,can you give me a bitrate comparison? :)
          If you have any YIFY release on your PC.. Just get mediainfo and check it out yourself.. The last time i downloaded a YIFY release the bitrate was around 1 mbps to 2 mbps if i was not mistaken.. That was like 4 years ago
          I used to think that today would never come

Comment

Okay I did as you said and I can confirm that YIFY Video Bitrate Hovers Around 2 MBPS,well that sucks because most of the CHD and Legion Releases have a Bitrate of 14-15 MBPS for the SAME movie.Also YIFY's Audio Bitrate is mostly 0.9 Mbps.Thanks for the software ExtractTruth
            Definitely an eye opener.
            So I can safely say that higher Video Bitrate=Higher Quality Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Radiocraft View Post
              Okay I did as you said and I can confirm that YIFY Video Bitrate Hovers Around 2MBPS,well that sucks because most of the CHD and Legion Releases Have a Bitrate of 14-15 MBPS for the SAME movies.Also YIFY's Audio Bitrate is mostly 0.9 Mbps.Thanks for the software Definitely an eye opener.
              So I can safely say that higher Video Bitrate=Higher Quality Right?
              All other things being equal(source, encode settings, etc.) --yes.

Just saw by chance on blu-bits at top of every page "Remember kids:uploading YIFY encodes is punishable by death!

That should tell ya what a lot people think of their releases lol.

I'll also throw this out there. At [email protected] you'd see better video quality @ 720P at same file size(my guess is this would be 3-4 mbps)

Comment

If I was intending to watch them on my 46" at home then the quality wouldn't be the best however from what I remember, YIFY releases are compatible with iOS and this is where I have watched most of the YIFY releases. On such a small screen/headphones you don't notice the crappy quality plus your greatful for the small filesize

Comment

I think that their releases were never supposed to compete with other high quality releases. They targeted those who have a slow connection and are not too picky about quality. So why bashing the quality if they never intended to produce a perfect quality encode? It's good to have someone out there for this job.
                  My Giveaways My Requests
                  None None

|
                  |
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                  |
                  |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
                  would fuck a person in the ass
                  and not even have the godda*n
                  common courtesy to give him a
                  reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
                  '
                  |
                  |
                  |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  |
                  |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
                    I think that their releases were never supposed to compete with other high quality releases. They targeted those who have a slow connection and are not too picky about quality. So why bashing the quality if they never intended to produce a perfect quality encode? It's good to have someone out there for this job.
                    Amen to that brother Jay

Comment

Originally posted by ThaJay View Post
                      You have a point. This releases are meant for people with low internet connection who maybe have an 1080p monitor/tv and still want an 1080p enconde but at smaller size or for people who prefer to see those movies on tablets and maybe smartphones.On this devices you won't see so much of a difference and of course you'll still have some free space on your memory.

Comment

The Top seeded HD-Movie Torrents on TPB are YIFY ones.Seems like a majority of TPB users have a poor internet connection lol

Comment

I agree in principle that putting smaller file sizes for people with crappy connection or those who want to watch on mobile devices is good. My issues lies with the fact they aim for 1080P. The unknowing see 1080P and think "ahh best quality". When in most cases you could get better quality out of 720P at same file size.

Comment

Originally posted by Syris View Post
                            I agree in principle that putting smaller file sizes for people with crappy connection or those who want to watch on mobile devices is good. My issues lies with the fact they aim for 1080P. The unknowing see 1080P and think "ahh best quality". When in most cases you could get better quality out of 720P at same file size.
                            But that's hardly YIFY's fault, is it? You can't really expect them to put *CRAPPY QUALITY* in their release titles.
                            My Giveaways My Requests
                            None None

|
                            |
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
                            |
                            |

I bet you're the kind of guy that
                            would fuck a person in the ass
                            and not even have the godda*n
                            common courtesy to give him a
                            reach around. I'll be watching you.

'Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
                            '
                            |
                            |
                            |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            |
                            |

Thanks, gblaze

Comment

The downloaders will have to understand that they simply cant get the best quality at such small sizes,but yeah YIFY isn't going to put "Crappy Quality" in there titles lol

Comment

Working...
                              X