Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seedbox or not

Heya all!

Thought i was somewhat "in the loop" in the whole torrent businesses. I was wrong.

Have been using torrent for ages, right about the time DC was under the hunters eyes...
    Yet, i was unaware of the term "seedbox" until i joined this fine community!

Have been doing some homework (googeling) and am not quite sure about what qualifies as a seedbox.
    My computer (used for numerous things thus not dedicad server) is on 24/7 with the odd reboot for patches.
    I run qBittorrent (recently changed from utorrent) atm which always runs in the background.
    I also have a 100mbit fiber line so the speed is fu**ing asome!

So the question is: does this qualifies as a seedbox or do I need to have a dedicated server to make it offical?
    Please enlighten a confused guy!

//ar8itrary

Well...

Kind of...

Seedbox is really just a term that is used to describe a computer somewhere which uploads stuff, it isn't dependent on speed or dedication. I guess you can call something a seedbox if it is not the computer you are using, and if it is running torrent software. Because you could have a NAS and turn that into a seedbox on your home connection.

So yeah, no you don't have a seedbox. But as your connection is so quick, it might as well be one. :D

Comment

Then I will get starting on one!

Have this old core2duo 3Ghz just standing here...
      Any preference on torrentsoftware, rtorrent?

Comment

Originally posted by ar8itrary View Post
        Then I will get starting on one!

Have this old core2duo 3Ghz just standing here...
        Any preference on torrentsoftware, rtorrent?
        I have had great experiences with Deluge, and rtorrent. Overall I think Deluge Thinclient is the best, would recommend :D

Comment

rTorrent for me.....
          sigpic

Comment

Will take a look at them both when the server is ready :D

Thanx LaFemmeFatale!

Comment

... and TheWickerMan!

Replied in a window updated before your posted ;)

Comment

The other reason - except high speeds that seedboxes offer - is that your home IP does not appear on tracker swarms. So ... anti-piracy trolls see only the seedbox's IP and not yours. in other words you get an extra layer of anonimity

Comment

My uploads speed are terrible I had no choice but to seedbox, best choice though like mentioned above the additional layer anonymity is nice if your paranoid ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LaFemmeFatale View Post
                    I have had great experiences with Deluge, and rtorrent. Overall I think Deluge Thinclient is the best, would recommend :D
                    I'd like to second the recommendation for Deluge. In my (albeit limited) experience, it seems much more stable than rTorrent.

That being said, they're both fantastic so I would try to test both and decide on your preference.

Comment

Working...
                    X