Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long have you been using Bittorrent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long have you been using Bittorrent?

I am not really well informed about the history of Bittorrent, but Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge in the universe?) says it was invented in 2001. Pirate Bay started the same year. I was just wondering if we have any long-term users on here? I used to borrow files from Bulgarian friends of mine back in early 2005, but they would not tell me where they got them from, they just had a PC running 24/7 in the corner, I'm guessing they had friends in Russia... Anyway, the first private invite I got was back in Aug. 2007 so I have been using the system for a while, but I know there are a few other venerable BT sites that have been going much longer. Anyone been on the same site now for 10Y?
    sigpic

Got started around 2003/2004 using sites like DVDR-Core, Supernova, etc. Its been a fun ride!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanuk View Post
      Got started around 2003/2004 using sites like DVDR-Core, Supernova, etc. Its been a fun ride!
      Wow, long time, congrats...
      sigpic

Comment

there are some private sites who are celebrating their 10 year birthdays this year so there are some long time private guys too

Comment

I have been torrenting since 2004 and the first tracker i used was supernova and then demonoid. I soon found a private tracker and joined the site in July 2004 and i am still an active member of that site, though not large it has some great content and has managed to stay under the radar of those that would like to stamp out file sharing. I am now a member 4 private trackers DJ regularly and i am also an uploader and FLS on the same site. IRC has become part of my daily life and i have met some great people and have had hours and hours of fun not to mention the vast amount of knowledge that i have gained. Being a member of a private tracker is not just about grabbing the latest warez ,music and films its also about becoming part of a community.

Comment

Originally posted by mickyjim776 View Post
            I have been torrenting since 2004 and the first tracker i used was supernova and then demonoid. I soon found a private tracker and joined the site in July 2004 and i am still an active member of that site, though not large it has some great content and has managed to stay under the radar of those that would like to stamp out file sharing. I am now a member 4 private trackers DJ regularly and i am also an uploader and FLS on the same site. IRC has become part of my daily life and i have met some great people and have had hours and hours of fun not to mention the vast amount of knowledge that i have gained. Being a member of a private tracker is not just about grabbing the latest warez ,music and films its also about becoming part of a community.
            Great story, thanks, I hope Demonoid returns one day...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
              Great story, thanks, I hope Demonoid returns one day...
              Yeahhh... If demonoid were still around, I'd definitely be getting close to 10 years on there. (The d2.vu copy doesn't really count). I probably started torrenting around 2004/2005? I remember back before getting into torrents, using p2p programs like Kazaa and Limewire! Apart from Demonoid though, didn't really get into private trackers until recently (started looking for local content and then stumbled across local private trackers). Demonoid taught me the basics about seeding, ratios, and invites though (even if they weren't very strict).

Comment

I joined p2p scene in late 2003 while searching some kids songs and movies for my baby daughter. I was getting most of my stuff from demonoid and a bit later on from isohunt . As for private trackers , we had 3-4 locals (theGT, teamofgreekz, gamato, bluewhite ... r.i.p. most of them). It was an agony back then to seed with 128 k upload speed in these trackers so it was only a dream to join a 'foreign' tracker with fresh stuff at high speeds.
                I didn't use much frostwire or limewire because I was getting viruses all the time !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leftovers View Post
                  Yeahhh... If demonoid were still around, I'd definitely be getting close to 10 years on there. (The d2.vu copy doesn't really count). I probably started torrenting around 2004/2005? I remember back before getting into torrents, using p2p programs like Kazaa and Limewire! Apart from Demonoid though, didn't really get into private trackers until recently (started looking for local content and then stumbled across local private trackers). Demonoid taught me the basics about seeding, ratios, and invites though (even if they weren't very strict).
                  Ah LimeWire I remember that, took forever to d/load a file over a dial-up modem connection.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by instant_diver View Post
                    I joined p2p scene in late 2003 while searching some kids songs and movies for my baby daughter. I was getting most of my stuff from demonoid and a bit later on from isohunt . As for private trackers , we had 3-4 locals (theGT, teamofgreekz, gamato, bluewhite ... r.i.p. most of them). It was an agony back then to seed with 128 k upload speed in these trackers so it was only a dream to join a 'foreign' tracker with fresh stuff at high speeds.
                    I didn't use much frostwire or limewire because I was getting viruses all the time !!!!!!!
                    Yeah the viruses on those things were horrible, really made you think and learn to chose your downloads carefully. Guess they moved onto a lot of public trackers since then though.

Ah LimeWire I remember that, took forever to d/load a file over a dial-up modem connection.
                    Haha! Dial-up, something the next generation will never understand (the dialup sound will forever be stuck in my head) :P Computers really have changed so much in only 10-15 years! Excited to see how fast things change again in 10-15 years time! Maybe we can dig this thread up in 10 years if its still around.

Comment

Originally posted by leftovers View Post
                      Haha! Dial-up, something the next generation will never understand (the dialup sound will forever be stuck in my head) :P Computers really have changed so much in only 10-15 years! Excited to see how fast things change again in 10-15 years time! Maybe we can dig this thread up in 10 years if its still around.
                      Yeah, I'm I go back as far as the first PCs: an Apple II at college & a ZX Spectrum at home, boy things have sure changed in 30Y.
                      sigpic

Comment

Since the e-donkey times haha when the quality of the mp3's was so shitty

Comment

Originally posted by Manden View Post
                          Since the e-donkey times haha when the quality of the mp3's was so shitty
                          Yes, bitrates were a little lower then & no such thing as FLAC, plus storage even on DVDs was expensive...
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, bitrates were a little lower then & no such thing as FLAC, plus storage even on DVDs was expensive...
                            Yeah the good old days where you used your hard earned money on boxes of empty dvds and cds

Comment

Originally posted by Manden View Post
                              Yeah the good old days where you used your hard earned money on boxes of empty dvds and cds
                              Yes, I have bags & bags full of old DVDs I never watch, but gave away all the CDs.
                              However, still the same today, just on a greater scale, I have bags & bags of BDRs I never watch...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X