Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory strucutre: How do you organize your content

Hello Fellow TI members,

I'm just curious about how torrent power users structure their folder layout. I was never concerned about this before. But now with several trackers and a somewhat massive number of files (to build ratios / farm bonus points) keeping it all well organized started to demand time.

This is how I'm structuring my files for now:

Code:
    [Top Level Files Folder]
       [Tracker Folder]
          [BP]                      -> Typically trash that I'm farming
             [100+]                 -> Files that I can erase / replace, but may want to keep around because of
                                       uploading rates
             [100-]                 -> Files that I can't yet delete or else I will get a HnR warning
          [Downloaded]              -> Things that I want to keep / downloaded for personal use
             [Category]             -> Say Movies / Music / TV / etc
                [Torrent Contents]  -> When completed I generally move the contents to where I want and then make a 
                                       junction (folder) or hard link (files)
          [Uploaded]                -> My own releases / repacks and or cross-seeding content 
                [Torrent Contents]  -> Junction
       [CS]                         -> Cross-seeding files 
          [Torrent Contents]        -> Actual folders and files that I am cross-seeding, or sometimes hard links 
                                       / junctions to files that I want to keep in the long term
    While this is not complete (say, If i start cross-seeding a lot I will have to separate CS files by category), and a little bit inconsistent (junctions and actual files on the same folder can get messy) it is working great for me.
    Another thing that I am working on is a way to move contents automatically from 100- to 100+ once ratio is greater than or equal 1:1. As a Java Developer I surely can write a plugin for Vuze but I guess that someone somewhere already wrote that or a more elegant / generic solution.

For people curious about hard links and junctions check out @SuperN3rd amazing How to cross-seed: The right way thread. The ln command is second nature to *nix junkies so I won't bother you with such mundane knowledge.

So, what do you guys think? How are you organizing your files and keeping the house clean?

Cheers,
    Last edited by SeedCat; January 4, 2014, 07:35 PM.

I use 4 folders:
    1. Stuff that I'm seeding or cross-seeding.
    2. TV shows.
    3. Movies.
    4. General DL.

For the rest or the organization, I just use uTorrent labels. Examples:
    • IPT Bonus
    • BCG
    • TL seed
    • TL
    • CS (cross-seed)

To manage HnRs, I have the "Completed On" and "Ratio" tabs open in uTorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by kraash View Post
      I use 4 folders:
      1. Stuff that I'm seeding or cross-seeding.
      2. TV shows.
      3. Movies.
      4. General DL.

For the rest or the organization, I just use uTorrent labels. Examples:
      • IPT Bonus
      • BCG
      • TL seed
      • TL
      • CS (cross-seed)

To manage HnRs, I have the "Completed On" and "Ratio" tabs open in uTorrent.
      Cool! :) While there is some hate for Vuze later (every Java App sooner or latter is called bloatware or resource hog) it has served me fine for several years already. I love its Categories (let you organize content in tabs) and Tags (kinda like uTorrent labels). I'm always with the latest version of uTorrent installed, but somehow my Azureus habits remains.

Still, I guess I'm a close to the metal kind of guy, there is always a chance for me to miss a tag and do something nasty on Vuze. Command line files accident are less frequent. I guess it have something to do with being a software developer!
      You know, 3 a.m., you have root access, you are messing with production servers, you are all powerful:
      Then your brain thinks umount /mnt/something but your fingers somehow type rm -rf /mnt/something. You stare at the screen... Why is it taking so long? ... (...) .... You finally realize what is happening... And all hell breaks loose! Nagios alarms! Operations guys appearing out of nowhere! You work overhours over ovehours! Clients call your boss at 10 a.m. (by that time he is still wearing his pajamas)... Infrastructure blocks the last known backdoor access that the entire development team uses to gain super user privileges (the kind of access that always saves your ass), you receive those disapproving looks from your team, etc, etc. What can I say, this kind of accident rarely happens twice :D.

Comment

Originally posted by SeedCat View Post
        Cool! :) While there is some hate for Vuze later (every Java App sooner or latter is called bloatware or resource hog) it has served me fine for several years already. I love its Categories (let you organize content in tabs) and Tags (kinda like uTorrent labels). I'm always with the latest version of uTorrent installed, but somehow my Azureus habits remains.

Still, I guess I'm a close to the metal kind of guy, there is always a chance for me to miss a tag and do something nasty on Vuze. Command line files accident are less frequent. I guess it have something to do with being a software developer!
        You know, 3 a.m., you have root access, you are messing with production servers, you are all powerful:
        Then your brain thinks umount /mnt/something but your fingers somehow type rm -rf /mnt/something. You stare at the screen... Why is it taking so long? ... (...) .... You finally realize what is happening... And all hell breaks loose! Nagios alarms! Operations guys appearing out of nowhere! You work overhours over ovehours! Clients call your boss at 10 a.m. (by that time he is still wearing his pajamas)... Infrastructure blocks the last known backdoor access that the entire development team uses to gain super user privileges (the kind of access that always saves your ass), you receive those disapproving looks from your team, etc, etc. What can I say, this kind of accident rarely happens twice :D.
        Haha. I guess that means Windows > Linux @ 3am. :p
        Btw, I use uTorrent 2.2.1. I hate the new versions. So bloated ><.

Comment

So, what do you guys think? How are you organizing your files and keeping the house clean?
          I am an organizational junkie. I got into the torrenting world after being an avid user on my school's "underground" DC++ network. To be "successful" with DC++, having an organized "share" is crucial, especially if you are one of the top contributors on the network (I had the largest share when I graduated .

With that little back story, all of my content, excluding e-learning (WIP) is heavily organized. This is the basic tree that I use:
          Code:
          [noparse]
          [Top Level Directory]                                - My RAID
          -->[*]                                               - Files...
          -->[Downloads]                                       - My DC++ downloads (legacy, soon to be removed)
          ---->[*]                                             - Files...
          -->[E-Books]                                         - All e-books - This will become the eLearning category
          -->[Games]                                           - All video games
          -->[Magic]                                           - All magic (illusion) related content - To be eventually combined under eLearning
          -->[Movies]                                          - All of my Movies
          ---->[HD Movies]                                     - All HD movies (720p++ - mostly 1080p blu-ray rips)
          ------>[*]                                           - Files...
          ---->[SD Movies]                                     - All SD movies
          -->[Music]                                           - All of my music 
          -->[Other]                                           - Stuff that is too hard to categorize
          -->[Software]                                        - All software related content
          ---->[Windows]                                       - Software for Windows
          ---->[Mac]                                           - Software for Mac
          ---->[Operating Systems]                             - Operating Systems
          ---->[Other]                                         - Special software that needs its own category
          -->[Torrents]                                        - Everything relating to a torrent
          ---->[Extra]                                         - All of that extra crap that comes with the torrent
          ---->[Files]                                         - 
          ------>[*]                                           - Files... (Any other unsorted stuff)
          ------>[AUTO]                                        - All of my TV shows (These were automatically downloaded through RSS feeds)
          -------->[*]                                         - Files...
          ------>[DELETE]                                      - Files that are kept for seeding purposes only
          ------>[Unsorted - Audiobooks]                       - All unsorted Audiobooks (to be added to new eLearning structure)
          ------>[Unsorted - Music]                            - All unsorted Music
          ------>[Unsorted - eLearning]                        - All unsorted eLearning <- This folder is a giant mess
          ------>[Torrent Files]                               - All of the *.torrent files
          -------->[Tracker A]                                 - Torrents for Tracker A
          ---------->[*]                                       - Files...
          ....                                                 - Repeat for trackers B - Y...
          -------->[Tracker Z]                                 - Torrents for Tracker Z
          ---------->[*]                                       - Files...
          -->[TV]                                              - All of my TV shows
          ---->[Off Air]                                       - All TV shows that are no longer airing
          ---->[On Air]                                        - All TV shows that are currently airing
          [/noparse]
          Code:
          [noparse]
          [Top Level Directory]                                - My Torrent hungry SSD
          -->[*]                                               - All in progress downloads, excluding RSS feeds
          [/noparse]
          This really does not do justice to my organization scheme. I am so anal about organization, that I literally have a specific structure for every single type of file. For example:
          Movies follow this structure: Movie Name [YYYY] (resolution).*
          TV is broken down even farther: TV -> Off Air -> Show Name [Start year - End year] -> Season # -> Show Name - S##E## - Episode Name.*
          Music is also broken down: Music -> Artist Name -> Artist Name - Album Name (YYYY) [TYPE] -> ## - Song Name.*

Some things to note:
          • Manually downloaded torrents are stored on my SSD. Once they are done, I manually copy them to the Torrents -> Files folder. I used to have this done by my torrent client; however, it would consistently crash on the larger files
          • All of my TV shows are handled via RSS feeds. They download automatically to the Torrents -> Files -> AUTO folder, directly on the RAID.
          • When I am ready to sort my TV, I use TVRename. It automatically relocates them from my AUTO folder to its appropriate directory.
          • All other sorting is handled manually.
          • I typically use the relocate torrent feature in my client to denote its new location, as explained by my tutorial, here.
          • For batch relocating, I use TVRename. Refer to my tutorial, here.

Also, my torrent client is µTorrent 2.2.1. I only use it, because it is allowed on all of the trackers I use. Also, TVRename, can handle editing its file describing your torrent structure. I actually really do not like µTorrent. When you start to have thousands of torrents (I have over 2500), it really just can't handle it.

tl;dr - I am OCD about my share and have everything organized by content type. I also have files renamed.

Comment

[MENTION=171106]SuperN3rd[/MENTION] wow! Phew, I'm not alone hehehe!

Side note: I have a urge to see that RAID. You should sell dumps and ftp access. From now on you shall be known as "The Scene" :D.

Comment

Mine is fairly simple:

I store the .torrent file and actual downloaded files together.

Code:
              ----BTN
              ------The Big Bang Theory
              --------Season 7
              -----------Episode 1
              --------------The.Big.Bang.Theory.S07E01.The.Hofstadter.Insufficiency.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264.mkv
              ----IPT
              -----------Software
              --------------Microsoft.Office
              -----------Movies
              --------------Life.Of.Pi.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-CROSSBOW
              ----PTP
              -----------Suckerpunch
              ---------------Sucker.Punch.Extended.Cut.2011.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264-CHD.mkv
              If i want to know what torrents i'm seeding for points etc. I have them all labelled in ruTorrent. I also place all my content into iTunes which is structured automatically. The files I have in the directories above are just the original content so I can re-seed in the future if required.

Comment

[MENTION=171106]SuperN3rd[/MENTION] wow! Phew, I'm not alone hehehe!

Side note: I have a urge to see that RAID. You should sell dumps and ftp access. From now on you shall be known as "The Scene" :D.
                Hahahaha

To be able to make my share even remotely useful for other people, I would need to have much better internet, and many servers. My poor little RAID could not survive the onslaught of the internet. Even on my school's network, I had to actually go as far as to create a whitelist. Back when I had unrestricted access, my HDDs would consistently fail after 6 months of usage. The people who claim read's don't harm HDDs have clearly not had the type of usages that I did.

It would be cool to create a better version of netflix (I have considered this), but doing it legally is way too expensive. On a related note, I do have a file listing I could share, but for security reasons, I believe it is in my best interest not to.

As for the scene, that already exists! I also refuse to download any movies that are "scene", the quality is almost always complete and total garbage. For everything else, they are a decent source.

Comment

Movies organized with .nfo files to run on XBMC
                  Music categorized by descending Catalog #'s on foobar2000
                  TV Shows [Series] - [Seasons] - [EP]
                  Books [Audio] and [Ebook]
                  Games are run on my Hyperspin setup up
                  Favorite communities: PTP|BTN|DB9|WCD|AB|bB|iTS|SciHD|BME|PLD|GG|GFT|
                  “Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.” - Carl Sagan

Comment

Most times I just throw everything into the Downloads folder. But when I take the time to do some organizing I have specific folders for games>each game, comics>each, movies/tv shows.

Comment

I guess I'm a little more anal retentive then most, but I've automated my system entirely, and both my seedbox and HTPC live on the same machine, so getting the directory structure right was a huge pain in the ass, but totally worth it.

1) Downloads/Incomplete/[Content] - first stage while downloading;
                      2) Downloads/Seeding/[Labels]/[Content] - uTorrent moves to this tree when completed downloading, and triggers a program that hardlinks or unrars all content to;
                      3) Downloads/Completed/[Labels]/[Content] - Hardlinked/UnRARed files. The same program that performs the hardlink/unRAR triggers SickBeard or CouchPotato post-processing (based on the [Label] from uTorrent) on completion of that task. SB or CP postprocessing then Moves to;
                      4) Media/[Label]/[Content] - Postprocessing adds all the relavant metadata, and deletes any remaining files from stage 3.

This leaves me with seeding files live and active within the 2nd stage tree, and all my organized and renamed Media within the 4th stage tree. It doesn't matter whether I complete the seeding task and delete that side of the hardlink (or original RARs), or finish watching the content and delete that side of the hardlink - everything stays where I want it, named how I want it, and doesn't affect my ability to keep on seeding out.

:D

Whew!

Comment

This is how I categorize all the files that I've downloaded from the seedbox:

Code:
                        [...]
                           [FTP Files]
                              [TBD]                    -> Files that have been downloaded but have yet to be used/viewed or categorized
                              [Software]               -> 100% working software that will be reused
                                 [DOS]                 -> Self-explanatory
                                 [Unix]                -> Again, self-explanatory
                              [Movies]                 -> Movies that I think I will potentially rewatch or share with family/friends
                                 [HD]                  -> I will usually download a movie in 720p and re-download a 1080p version to store if                                   necessary
                                  [Genre]
                                 [SD]                  -> For the classics
                                  [Genre]
                              [TV Shows]               -> Typically, I'll save shows that have not yet had a series finale yet
                                 [Genre]
                              [Music]                  -> Only FLAC
                                 [Genre]
                                  [Artist]
                                   [Album]
                              [E-Books]
                                 [File Type]           -> Whether it is in *.doc, *.flac, *.pdf, etc etc
                                  [Topic]
                        As for the seedbox, I simply use labels and sort by ratios, time seeded/finished, etc:

Code:
                        [ruTorrent]
                           [Labels]
                              [Bonus Points]           -> Any and all bonus points for every tracker that I'm seeding on
                              [Backup]                 -> Torrents that I continue to seed in case I have to re-download them due to disk                                       drive issues
                              [(Friend's Name)]        -> I let a friend use certain trackers of mine to download whatever he wants. He then                                    labels them whenever he's done with them so I can delete them whenever I want to.

AHD | AT | BCG | BitMe | BTN | CHD | HDB | HD-T | IPT | PEDRO | PTN | PTP | WFL | W.CD

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Montol View Post
                          I guess I'm a little more anal retentive then most, but I've automated my system entirely, and both my seedbox and HTPC live on the same machine, so getting the directory structure right was a huge pain in the ass, but totally worth it.

1) Downloads/Incomplete/[Content] - first stage while downloading;
                          2) Downloads/Seeding/[Labels]/[Content] - uTorrent moves to this tree when completed downloading, and triggers a program that hardlinks or unrars all content to;
                          3) Downloads/Completed/[Labels]/[Content] - Hardlinked/UnRARed files. The same program that performs the hardlink/unRAR triggers SickBeard or CouchPotato post-processing (based on the [Label] from uTorrent) on completion of that task. SB or CP postprocessing then Moves to;
                          4) Media/[Label]/[Content] - Postprocessing adds all the relavant metadata, and deletes any remaining files from stage 3.

This leaves me with seeding files live and active within the 2nd stage tree, and all my organized and renamed Media within the 4th stage tree. It doesn't matter whether I complete the seeding task and delete that side of the hardlink (or original RARs), or finish watching the content and delete that side of the hardlink - everything stays where I want it, named how I want it, and doesn't affect my ability to keep on seeding out.

:D

Whew!
                          nice work. I mainly use usenet because of the convenience it gives with couchpotato, sickbeard etc. Getting them to work with torrent would save me some money.

Comment

I organize my s/box files by current (things I haven't seen), then labelled as copied (seen but still seeding), or Uploaded (my own stuff, or long-term seeds). I check daily by ratio to see if torrents are being overseeded, and by date to see if they have been around for more than a week. This keeps the no of files below 100 and makes the whole thing more manageable. I sometimes sort by tracker to see if I have too much from one site. At home I sort the files by type: HD or SD Movies, TV Shows, Music, Software, Books, etc. I have one external HD per type from 2-4TB each - works great.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mackerel View Post
                              nice work. I mainly use usenet because of the convenience it gives with couchpotato, sickbeard etc. Getting them to work with torrent would save me some money.
                              Yeah, I tried Usenet when I was introduced to SB and CP and got frustrated due to being unable to find reliable nzbs that weren't fakes or password protected. When I went searching for private nzb trackers, I found this website, and that was the end of that. Private torrent trackers are equally as good if not better than Usenet for 99.5% of what I want it to accomplish. :) And, like you said, no cost!

Comment

Working...
                              X