Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uTorrent corrupts data! (effects versions 1.8 to 3.2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uTorrent corrupts data! (effects versions 1.8 to 3.2)

uTorrents versions 1.8 to 3.2 have a problem where the client will randomly add extra 'garbage' data to the end of your downloaded files, resulting in files that are slightly too big. This problem was discovered by the people at pleasuredome (a private tracker) and acknowledged by uTorrent developer Firon, but was not fixed until version 3.2 RC6. This same problem was also present in some versions of KTorrent.
    uTorrent write cache bug - Pastebin.com

This bug mostly occurs when you download a torrent with tons of small files. Using the "Force Recheck" option in uTorrent will not catch or fix this problem. Don't worry, your files are fine. Even if this bug effected some of your files, they will still work properly (they'll just be slightly bigger than they should be).

To fix this issue: in uTorrent advanced settings uncheck ""Disable Windows caching of disk writes"".

A member at pleasuredome created a program to check .torrent files with downloaded files to find mismatched file sizes or SHA-1 hash data (and has the option to trim files that are too big). If anyone knows of a file host with no registration then I can upload it there.
    http://forum.pleasuredome.org.uk/ind...howtopic=19656
    Last edited by salty; February 23, 2013, 01:27 PM.
    My Giveaways: 33%
    Don't buy Bose :001_tt2:

What versions of Transmission were affected?

Comment

My bad it was KTorrent that also had this bug, not Transmission. KTorrent's bug was fixed in June 2010.
      My Giveaways: 33%
      Don't buy Bose :001_tt2:

Comment

Thanks for the info. Am using Utorrent 2.2.1.. will check if I have this problem.

Tried using Utorrrent 3.2 but this version does not work with some other trackers so I went back to the old version

Comment

Working...
        X