Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are trackers that you can buy your way in safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are trackers that you can buy your way in safe?

Maybe my tin-foil hat's on too tight but what's to stop the RIAA/MPAA or whoever from buying their way into certain private trackers and jumping into the swarms to gather IPs? It seems relatively easy to plant a mole if they were so inclined to do so. It can be argued that The Man is content with frying the smaller fish of public trackers but aren't private trackers with buy-ins essentially public?

Also, I'm not overlooking the fact that some sites have open sign-ups now and again (so that big brother could sneak in occasionally as well) but these occur rarely and I doubt (or tell myself that) they have somebody waiting around to check when sites are open.

There's a site or two I'd like to join but I keep dragging my feet because I can't shake the feeling that the authorities can easily infiltrate it.

Someone tell me that I'm just being foolish and I need to grab an invite. Or two.

What's to stop the RIAA/MPAA or whoever from signing up to a site like this and getting invited into a private tracker? Sure buying your way in easier but if people can be invited the site is still vulnerable to snooping. Maybe they're already monitoring ALL the trackers!

Really though I think you're being a little too paranoid. As far as I know if anyone gets prosecuted it's usually site staff. Rarely do individual downloaders get targeted and I'd say using any private trackers massively reduces that risk. If you really wanna be safe just get a seedbox.

Comment

I frequent a file sharing forum that is pay to sign up and that site is definitely safe. I'd imagine if it's a site that people know then it will be fine. If it's some mystery tracker that randomly appeared out of nowhere then yeah, I'd be hesitant.

Comment

Originally posted by kent View Post
        Maybe my tin-foil hat's on too tight but what's to stop the RIAA/MPAA or whoever from buying their way into certain private trackers and jumping into the swarms to gather IPs? It seems relatively easy to plant a mole if they were so inclined to do so. It can be argued that The Man is content with frying the smaller fish of public trackers but aren't private trackers with buy-ins essentially public?

Also, I'm not overlooking the fact that some sites have open sign-ups now and again (so that big brother could sneak in occasionally as well) but these occur rarely and I doubt (or tell myself that) they have somebody waiting around to check when sites are open.

There's a site or two I'd like to join but I keep dragging my feet because I can't shake the feeling that the authorities can easily infiltrate it.

Someone tell me that I'm just being foolish and I need to grab an invite. Or two.
        my opinion.....the authorities can infiltrate any site they want. anytime.
        special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
        sigpic
        "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

Originally posted by cdcmaximus View Post
          I'd have to agree with that. The government is able to perform much more difficult tasks than infiltrating and monitoring a private tracker. Yeah, the government seems to be retarded about anything that is associated with "counter culture", but still.

Comment

[MENTION=179935]kent[/MENTION] I really think you are being paranoid, I do not think that they would jump so many hoops to catch you using a torrent site

Comment

Gunna loosen up the ole tinfoil hat and grab an invite.

Comment

Of course, that's why we should all be careful what we say & do...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrnewbie View Post
                  Of course, that's why we should all be careful what we say & do...
                  They may even own a few...... Because I'm batm.... They can......

They probably are members as they get little time off to go to the cinema so they probably just pirate the films instead :-D
                  Patience is not a gift given to you.
                  It is cultivated by yourself.
                  Enjoy these:
                  Invictus | Rise
                  GA's
                  10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Comment

Working...
                  X