email privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email privacy

I saw it pop up somewhere on the internet, that some people use different emails when registering for private trackers...
    Now, this might be obvious or maybe reflexive for some people, but it wasn't for me when I registered for this site nor any other private trackers.

I saw a similar question pop up on another thread, concerning privacy, and people seemed to alright with gmail.

So my question to you all, do you use your primary emails? Or do you have an alternate email that you have for only your trackers.

I'm being a bit paranoid, but that never hurts anything.

I have tracker only email addresses.

Comment

I use different emails for most of my trackers and from those emails i just autoforward to my regular one, that way its still only one email account i have to check.

Comment

I use different emails for tracker signups, different ones for non-file-sharing related forums and such and other ones for other things. Check out GPG by the way.

Comment

I use a separate email for trackers. Makes it easier for me to sort thru my mail.

Comment

Hehe wow I feel a little behind the curve here. Thanks for the GPG link. I think I'll be making a new email soon =\

Comment

Claws Mail is a mail client that has the look and feel of Thunderbird but has GPG built-in. If you're more comfortable with Thunderbird, if you use it, you can use the Enigmail addon. Likewise, for instant messaging, I would recommend Pidgin+OTR. As far as email services go, some people like Hushmail, but they've been known to fork over user details to government agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluntedking View Post
                Claws Mail is a mail client that has the look and feel of Thunderbird but has GPG built-in. If you're more comfortable with Thunderbird, if you use it, you can use the Enigmail addon. Likewise, for instant messaging, I would recommend Pidgin+OTR. As far as email services go, some people like Hushmail, but they've been known to fork over user details to government agencies.
                Thanks for the information. I've finally gotten around to creating an alternate gmail for my trackers. I've also downloaded ClawsMail in an attempt to understand it. I have a feeling I'll need to do more research on the topic though. Sort of over my head at the moment.

Comment

Alternative emails, alternately.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Originally posted by Fighter112 View Post
                  I have tracker only email addresses.
                  Did you mean hacker only?
                  sigpic

Comment

Lol, I'm not a hacker.. But I have email addresses I use only for torrent websites :P

Comment

Right. Shouldn't use your T-I email for What.cd, etc. And shouldn't use your What.cd email for Facebook.

Comment

i think it's nesessary to have multiple emails.
                        one for friends and family.
                        one for trackers - gmail.
                        one for online bs that ask for email when filling stuff out.
                        among others.
                        and one that is go to if something happens to the primary, ie primary hacked.
                        but then again, i'm paranoid :)

Comment

heheh, do you guys keep your gmails linked?
                          I'm not sure if that makes the security any "looser".
                          Right now all my emails are unconnected, no forwarding or fetching from one another.

Comment

NowaDays I use different email id's.

Comment

I have a couple emails.

1 is my main, used for family and things like Amazon, my bank, etc.. I've had a couple of these in the past though which annoys me to no end. I wish I had just done it right with a good name from the start. I have another which I've used for registering for forums and crap. I then made a couple others with better names (IMO) than the one I used for forums but never used them until I registered here and on private trackers. So now I have one that's basically just private trackers.

All are unlinked and to be honest I don't check them all that often, especially the ones that aren't my main one.

Comment

Working...
                              X