Is DVD format diying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DVD format diying?

Now days with HD formats its kind of hard to keep with HD since it takes a lot of space, a full BR with menus and everything just like a DVD, the question is, can you afford downloading full HD all the time or you still prefer to collect DVDs?

DVD-R and HD720p files are the same size give or take. 720p is better quality so win win.

Comment

Dvd and dvd-rips are oldschool now in my opinion. I don't use dvd format at all.

Comment

I haven't bothered with dvd for years now. the only way is if I rent a movie and rip it but to dl...no way.

Comment

I would say it's only better for the "popular" releases.

I don't think it will ever die....I wouldn't even say more than 50% of the movies I see released are BR at all.

Honestly, I would put my money on BR dying first...since not many are buying them.

The process of scientific discovery is, in effect, a continual flight from wonder.

Comment

The way I see it technology changes all the time and to that end, everything we use will become defunct in the near future. DVD took over from VHS and in turn will be taken over, if not by blu ray, then something else. I'm old enough to have seen vinyl albums, cassette tapes and (pretty much) cd go out of fashion, so it's not too much of a stretch to see DVD go the same way.

I download or stream almost all of my media, but currently if I want to save it to an external source, I'll use a DVD. For data, there's nothing better imo. But while blu ray has an inhibitive price tag, I am sure something will come along soon enough which will be cheaper and even better than blu ray. Once that comes along, I think we can say goodbye to DVD forever. Until then, I'll keep stocking up on my spindles!

Comment

Up until a month ago, I only had one DVD player of my 3 that could play .264s, so I always downloaded Xvids. Now I can go either way. I'll still commonly download Xvids for better compatibility with sharing stuff with others who use DVD players and due to typically smaller file sizes. If what Mr. Bond said is true that 720p encoded is the same size as Xvid with better quality then I haven't seen much done that way. All the .264 encodes I see are typically 2-3x the size of the xvid equivalents.

I usually don't care that much about the quality to spend 3x the DL bandwidth/time to get the stuff.

Comment

i dont really use DVD format that much either, i would agree.

Comment

I usually get the BR Rips. Tend to be pretty good quality with a small footprint. That and x254 (or whatever the number is....beer is my enemy right now).

Comment

Originally posted by h1metym View Post
                    If what Mr. Bond said is true that 720p encoded is the same size as Xvid with better quality then I haven't seen much done that way. All the .264 encodes I see are typically 2-3x the size of the xvid equivalents. .
                    That's not what i was saying. The topic is "Is DVD Format dying" A 720p rip from a bluray is approximately the same size as a DVD-R release. If the topic was is XviD dying then that's a different kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bond View Post
                      That's not what i was saying. The topic is "Is DVD Format dying" A 720p rip from a bluray is approximately the same size as a DVD-R release. If the topic was is XviD dying then that's a different kettle of fish.
                      My bad, I was thinking more in terms of quality since we were talking about DLing, and I'd never DL an actual dvd or blue ray, but yes, I've confused the topic ;)

Comment

I still download dvd's if its a really good movie only then I will get HD, or blu ray. So I am not sure if DVD format is dying, I think not.
                        sigpic
                        A proud Torrent-Invite Introduction Crew.
                        If you need help with anything, just send me a pm,

Comment

Dvdrip usually come before the BRrip on the torrents and the market and so people tend to use it more often... but yes i agree in the near future DVDrips wud be used lesser ans lesser
                          sigpic
                          Thanks Eknows for making me VIP
                          THNKS Mate88 for avatar

Comment

Comparing with DVD, Cam and TS are worse than it. So why do people still view them ? Just because people is always curious, or want to view sooner than other ones.
                            The type of person who is impatient, easy is popular. They don't know how to really enjoy movies, just view for curiousity knowing the plot, chatting friends,...
                            Many thanks TorInvitev2, HawaiiMan, torri, SiniuS,KurrupT, Brodoria, steve O, aerow, zeus_ and boot for voting me
                            And specially thank extJSDB for great giveaway

Comment

The same thing that happened to VHS when dvd came out will repeat again. Its just going to take a while because dvd is still popular. Bu-ray tech is getting more affordable and so are hard drives. 1TB 3.5" discs can sale from $60-100 depending where you shop online. SSDs will soon start to become more affordable too.

Sometimes I rent a dvd from Redbox to watch it with friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X