Professional Torrenters and Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Torrenters and Such

Hey All. I was just thinking . . . is there a way for a way to earn money for working on torrent sites or services without being part of a big hosting company or something (and without uploading ad-ware, or generally cheating people, etc.)?

Do you think there are many people getting rich (i.e. not the right way) off of Bittorrent users? I know that PirateBay now *automatically* downloads adware for you when you download a torrent (unless you uncheck the box). I know that's gotta be netting some real revenues for someone . . . .

You can eran money selling seedbox, and trackers earn money by donation

Comment

there are a lot of people who upload files with a password attached, and the person must complete a survey to unlock the password. everyone who completes the survey, the uploader gets paid.

this only really happens in public trackers though, not private.

Comment

Public sites earn lots of money off ads.. this is why they get chased by the authorities.

Originally posted by Allice View Post
        trackers earn money by donation
        Sure, some private trackers will, but I think most (at least of the ones I'm a member of) put all the money from donations straight back into servers, domains, etc.
        Last edited by Coal; July 18, 2012, 02:01 PM. Reason: o.o

Comment

Trackers are for seeding content purposes only. I just can't remember one that don't destinate the values of donations for maintenance...

If there is one, I just part away!

Comment

Originally posted by Capivara View Post
            Trackers are for seeding content purposes only. I just can't remember one that don't destinate the values of donations for maintenance...

If there is one, I just part away!
            That reminds me . . . what's up with PirateBay? I thought they were a non-profit organization. They even got seats in the parliament of Sweden as a political party, iirc. Who's actually in charge and where do their adware/popup revenues go?

Comment

Originally posted by Zarathustra View Post
              That reminds me . . . what's up with PirateBay? I thought they were a non-profit organization. They even got seats in the parliament of Sweden as a political party, iirc. Who's actually in charge and where do their adware/popup revenues go?
              I don't know who owns it but probably all the revenues goes to paying the servers.

Comment

most trackers usually barely scrape by with donations to cover server costs

TL probably makes a profit because they have ads and partnerships with some gambling companies and such
                but that's a speculation

Comment

Not really on private trackers, its all about seeding and reputation, its more about sharing than taking, sites that pay themselves dont stay hidden for long, take the pirate bay for example.
                  Syntax
                  Patience is not a gift given to you.
                  It is cultivated by yourself.
                  Enjoy these:
                  Invictus | Rise
                  GA's
                  10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Comment

The Big ones are obviously there for the moolah along with providing good content for the users. The smaller private ones, it could be tricky. Some are genuinely there for the name, while some will beg for donations or will have lucrative incentives if you donate (invites, GB's etc). Couple this with all rarity shit and hype created, you have many users in a small community donating for those particular incentives thereby $$$ for the private tracker.
                    Special Thanks to extJSDB for the VIP !

Comment

Originally posted by Zarathustra View Post
                      According to Swedish court the site is commercial. Not sure where the profit goes, but yeah the party hosts the tracker at the moment. Don't think they own it though.

Comment

From wikipedia:
                        Sweden's largest technology museum, the Swedish National Museum of Science and Technology, acquired one of the confiscated servers in 2009 and placed it in an exhibit for having great symbolic value as a "big problem or a big opportunity".

Comment

Lol of course that most of Tracker owners make money sometimes lots of money, i can bet that most of tracker admins are in the BT is because of $...
                          I can bet that sites like TL SCC are making lots of cash, also don't forget the dead ScT everybody knows that site went "offline" after when they get that month from donations over 10k euros...

Comment

Originally posted by The_720 View Post
                            Lol of course that most of Tracker owners make money sometimes lots of money, i can bet that most of tracker admins are in the BT is because of $...
                            I can bet that sites like TL SCC are making lots of cash, also don't forget the dead ScT everybody knows that site went "offline" after when they get that month from donations over 10k euros...
                            While it's all speculation . . . my gut tells me that sites like TL and demonoid net (big) profit for their owners, but sites like SCC and IPT put most of their earnings back into the site.

Also - IMO it would be fair for an owner/site admin to make some money, so long as it's not more than the going wage for the work they put into it. Though I doubt most of the smaller torrent site owners are so lucky.

Comment

Working...
                            X