OS torrents, yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS torrents, yes or no?

Was just wondering what your takes are on OS torrents. specifically Windows 7. Are they generally safe or loaded with all kinds of nasty spyware and/or viruses or other nasty surprises? I've skimmed through the comments section on numerous torrents for W7 and theres no way to come to a conclusion because you got a seemingly equal ammount of people (or close to it) saying that the torrents is good, bad, doesn't work, works pefect, has virus, doesn't have virus, etc...

Also what is better a "pre-activated" or like an "untouched" (if it really is) using a seperate activator?
    Last edited by HiGhGuY; January 28, 2012, 06:52 AM.

In my opinion, it's always best to try to get a clean untouched copy of any OS. But of course, as with any pirated item, be it music, movies etc, there is always a slight "risk" of a virus. There are bad torrents, it's just the way it is, but on the other hand, there is also a lot of good torrents.

I haven't downloaded a copy of windows in quite some time (I don't use windows) but if I was to, I would definantly get a clean one, and also do the activation seperate. My method would be like so:

Download clean copy --> install --> Update --> install activation bootloader --> Done

But be aware, a lot of the "it don't work" comments are users who don't know how to burn an ISO properly or even what an ISO is. The "it has a virus" messages, with a so-called "clean" torrent shouldn't get messages like that, but you can always download and scan it your self if you are that worried.

This is of course, only my advice and opinion, take it as you will .

Comment

thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try the way you suggested and see what happens. Its only temporary, but I'm still sorta hesitant about spyware. Eventually when I have enough money to do my workstation build, I'm going to buy a legit copy of 7 ultimate, but need something for now, cuz I just put a new HDD in my laptop and don't have any way to restore XP that came on it.

I know what you mean about ISO's too, people are always asking about that, and always asking questions that can easily be found right in the torrent description

Comment

Do not ask where to find copyrighted materials, such as a specific movie or game. For instance, do not ask us where to locate "Pulp Fiction". T-I is strictly an invite forum - what you do with those invites is your business but T-I cannot support or encourage piracy of any kind.
        Extracted from the rules.

Comment

I downloaded untouched OS. But cracked it using Loader. Though recently i am using another a pre-cracked all in one version, till now its awesome, no problems so far. My suggestion is to read the comment before u download and only download a OS reviewed by an expert.

BTW i prefer untouched. :)

Comment

For Microsoft OS:
            If you have friends which are studying. At a lot of universities students get a number licenses for free (at least at my university this was the case). Normally this part of the MSDNAA (MicroSoft Developer Network Academic Aliance).
            So how this works: Students can login to a MSDNAA website and get the OS image by Microsoft including the software key.

They should be able to give you a working, legit Windows which you can crack using a loader. If you have good knowledge about loaders and where to get clean version of it, you are on a very safe side.

Option number two: I could get 4 XP keys and 3 Windows 7 keys. Perhaps a student gives you a key for free.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogue View Post
              Extracted from the rules.
              My bad... OP edited to take care of that problem.

haha.. I think its funny though that ANY site having ANYTHING to do with torrents claims what they're claiming.
              Last edited by HiGhGuY; January 28, 2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Been using bie's releases for some time with no problem (win7)
                An untouch vesion also works fine, in fact, i think not long ago you could download untouched versions of W7 SP1 from microsoft's site (as trial)
                To activate any Win7 version, other than entreprise, the best tool around is the loader by daz. search on google and you'll find the official forum.

Comment

Official copies of Windows would be best. If someone would already happen to have a pre-activated copy, they should definitely install a hash checking program and see if the disk matches up with the official hash, which is this:

• Microsoft Windows 7 32 Bits
                    • MD5: D0B8B407E8A3D4B75EE9C10147266B89
                    • SHA-1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF610

• Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bits
                    • MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
                    • SHA-1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

Source: The Official Windows 7 Repository

Comment

Working...
                  X