Torrent Safety Precautions
Register

We are the best invite forum on the internet! Here you will find free invites, free seedboxes, free bonuses, and much more. Our members know the true meaning of sharing and have created a truly global bittorent community! Our site has the most up to date information on all private trackers and our members will guide you and introduce you to this truly secretive and enlightened club. Ready to get started? Register now!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Torrent Safety Precautions

Hello All,

I would like to put together a list of safety precautions users should take when downloading torrents in the US and other litigious countries.
    Such as:
    Encryption
    Proxy

I for example use encryption, use linux, try to only use private trackers, never watch from a machine connected to the internet. I've also tried using tor and similar proxy/anonymizers but they are just too slow.

Please post your recommendations.

Best

kirov

ps i did a quick search on the topic and found nothing dedicated to safety. if i missed something please point me to the correct link and forego the flame.

2. To remove ads become VIP. Inquire about advertising here.

Using a seedbox is probably the only sure way to avoid being identified directly through bit torrent. You can always kill the server logs each time you remote in. I dont think IP masquerading other than bouncing through a proxy will work with bit torrent clients. I personally dont like being slowed down by a proxy. I've yet to find one that can match my bandwidth pipe. Encryption.,. meh,.. most ISP's can detect what your doing anyway or prevent encryption from working at all.

We are on a trust system whether we like it or not. There is really little to prevent someone from say the RIAA or someone representing a Law firm who is hired by a developer or copyright holder to infiltrate private torrent sites and logging everything we do. Unless your pipe is directly connected, your service provider knows all and logs all. In most cases unless you or someone else brings attention to your activities, nothing will ever happen. I've been trading, BBS'ing, IRC'ing, leeching, pub'ing, FXP'ing, torrenting for the better part of 18 years now. The worst I've experienced was warning letters for excessive bandwidth consumption.

Its ok to be a little paranoid. But using a proxy and/or encryption can also backfire on you because they are tell tale signs to a service provider that you have something to hide. A curious admin can investigate and watch your packets. As long as anyone is on residential service, there really is no guarantee.

Thats my personal opinion.

Hurst

Why would you say never watch from a machine connected to the internet o_0.

Use the local library/coffee shop's WiFi.

But one thing we have to remember that in internet, nothing is safe. The safest place is a locked room with number of locks. :P

Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    But one thing we have to remember that in internet, nothing is safe. The safest place is a locked room with number of locks. :P
    Until someone lights the house on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kirov View Post
    Hello All,

I would like to put together a list of safety precautions users should take when downloading torrents in the US and other litigious countries.
    Such as:
    Encryption
    Proxy

I for example use encryption, use linux, try to only use private trackers, never watch from a machine connected to the internet. I've also tried using tor and similar proxy/anonymizers but they are just too slow.

Please post your recommendations.

Best

kirov

ps i did a quick search on the topic and found nothing dedicated to safety. if i missed something please point me to the correct link and forego the flame.

Isn't the most obvious item installing Peer Blocker or some other piece of software that actively blocks the IP's of known threats?

http://www.peerblock.com/

It doesn't block everything, but it blocks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronious View Post
    Isn't the most obvious item installing Peer Blocker or some other piece of software that actively blocks the IP's of known threats?

PeerBlock

I dont think you understand the point he was making. This isnt about hackers. The FBI doesnt watch you from FBI.gov. They will watch you from 173.33.129.3.res.tampabay.rr.com or using Verizon Fios. Your bit torrent client shows your IP address to everyone else who is sharing with you. Anyone who wants it can have it. The only way to avoid it would be to run a remote server and proxy in and purge the logs on a regular basis. But in the end,.. the ISP still sees all,.. knows all.

Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
    I dont think you understand the point he was making. This isnt about hackers. The FBI doesnt watch you from FBI.gov. They will watch you from 173.33.129.3.res.tampabay.rr.com or using Verizon Fios. Your bit torrent client shows your IP address to everyone else who is sharing with you. Anyone who wants it can have it. The only way to avoid it would be to run a remote server and proxy in and purge the logs on a regular basis. But in the end,.. the ISP still sees all,.. knows all.

Hurst

Ok, well isn't the main threat people are concerned about coming from the MPAA and the RIAA? At least, that seems to me to be the more publicized threats. It seems we hear a lot more about a lawsuit being filed against 5000 people instead of 5000 people getting tossed in jail with a 100k fine for downloading Harry and the Hendersons.

Isn't that threat reduced to an extent by using a program like peerblock, that blocks (known) ip's of agents of those 2 organizations and continually updates their database of blocks via user feedback? In addition, isn't that threat then further reduced by utilizing private trackers, where you know the file isn't a plant and the super seeder/seeders/peers are less likely to be agents of someone with malicious intent towards torrent users?
    Last edited by Aronious; October 19th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronious View Post

PeerBlock

I love peerblock! I also decided to invest in iblocklist's subscriber thingy ($11 a year) so I can get access to the anti-infringement blocklists. Possible waste of money? Yes. It still makes me feel better though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast