5-6 TB hard drives Roadmaps leaked (WD and Seagate) [Updated July 13]
Register

We are the best invite forum on the internet! Here you will find free invites, free seedboxes, free bonuses, and much more. Our members know the true meaning of sharing and have created a truly global bittorent community! Our site has the most up to date information on all private trackers and our members will guide you and introduce you to this truly secretive and enlightened club. Ready to get started? Register now!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 5-6 TB hard drives Roadmaps leaked (WD and Seagate) [Updated July 13]

Original Link (Russian) https://www.almodi.o...5-tb-nakopiteli

Link (in german) Hardware.info

According to a leaked document from Western digital they plan to release the 5TB hard drive in Q4 2013. The models they the will release are the "green desktop" and "red" (for NAS).

We can expect other companies to release their 5TB around that date (before or earlier)

Where 4 TB is currently the hardliner-maximum, WD is still convenient to release their new data-libraries in time. If they’re helium-filled, is unknown. In earlier news, WD has stated that first drives filled with helium and thus offer new opportunities, will be presented in 2013, the news did not state of these yet. But it’s interesting to see where technology goes to

photos:

F.A.Q: Explanation about the helium based drives (thanks BenChin): Western Digital Boosts Hard Drive Capacity With Helium - Storage -

Update

WD will release the Green and Red 5tb hard drive in December 2013

Source: Storageservers

Western Digital 5TB drives to arrive in December 2013

April 3, 2013
    Western Digital’s much hyped 5TB drives which hit the news headlines a few weeks ago, will arrive in December 2013. Although, there is no official confirmation on this issue, the latest developments suggest as such. The company is in plans to official release its 5TB capacity SATA drives by the end of this year after the release of its green drives.
    As per a WD roadmap, Western Digital will be offer WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB drive and WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB drive by third quarter of 2013 and then will go on with the release of WD Green WD50EZRX 5TB drive and WD Red WD50EFRX 5TB by December 2013.
    WD Green and WD Red drives are being offered with spindle speeds ranging in between 5400rpm- 5900rpm and will be optimized with large capacities. These green drives will have less power consuming capabilities and can operate in RAID mode.
    The only suspense in the release of WD 5TB SATA HDDs is the number of platters usage. Some, analysts suggest that WD will go on with a technical design of four 1.25TB platters fitted into a single drive frame, while some suggest that it will come with the concept of five 1TB platters embedded into a single system.
    Presently, there is no official announcement from Western Digital representatives on this issue and are in a proverbial mind set of following “Silence is bliss”.
    UPDATE 2: Seagate Roadmap

nterprise hard drives roadmap published by Myce web-site, the new enterprise-class Terascale HDDs with 5TB and 6TB capacities due in the first half of 2014 will belong to the same code-named Constellation ES.3 “Megalodon” family as the current 4TB drives. The drives are likely to feature 5900rpm spindle speed, 64MB DDR2 cache as well as Serial ATA-600 interface. What is unclear is which platters will be featured in the 5TB and 6TB HDDs, reports xbitlabs. The Terascale hard disk drives are based on enterprise-class platform with high vibration tolerance (HVT) technology and provide data centers with the maximum storage scalability they need to meet demands in low workload, 24x7 replicated environments. Equipped with Seagate’s own Instant Secure Erase (ISE) technology, the Terascale HDD saves money and time by reducing drive erasure times from hours to milliseconds providing quick, safe and easy drive disposal or repurposing.
    Last edited by Fdez87; July 27th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

I am not a native Speaker so any feedback is welcomed

Thanks to SiniuS for everything

2. To remove ads become VIP. Inquire about advertising here.

I heard bigger HDDs are more likely to fail, is this true? Like anything over 2TB I think was said. Anyway thanks for this. I'm still waiting on petabyte HDDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fdez87 View Post

If they’re helium-filled, is unknown. In earlier news, WD has stated that first drives filled with helium and thus offer new opportunities, will be presented in 2013, the news did not state of these yet. But it’s interesting to see where technology goes to

What does the helium do to the drive? How does it help it? What does it even mean someone explain :s (I know what Helium is)

Good news, hopefully the prices on 1TB drives will keep dropping!

---------- Post added at 04:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yasashina View Post
    What does the helium do to the drive? How does it help it? What does it even mean someone explain :s (I know what Helium is)
    I was wondering this too, I did find one article that explained a little about it.
    Western Digital Boosts Hard Drive Capacity With Helium - Storage -

The new storage products are built around sealed drive enclosures that have been filled with helium, which is one-seventh as dense as regular air. HGST claims the new technology exerts less force on the drive's spinning disks, thereby diminishing the mechanical power required by 23%.The design also allows components to be arranged more closely to one another, meaning that Western Digital's new HDDs can fit seven platters--up from the current standard of five--into a typical 3.5-inch form factor. The resulting increase in storage capacity makes the energy savings even more dramatic; HGST claims that energy consumption is 45% improved on a watts-per-terabyte basis. The company also stated new products will "emit less acoustic noise" than current models.

I dont know why these things are getting costlier and causing a wreckage some cant even afford to the costs and risks

Now we just need some Time Lord Tech so we can build a server farm in a standard computer case haha

Quote Originally Posted by RedAngelX View Post
    I heard bigger HDDs are more likely to fail, is this true? Like anything over 2TB I think was said. Anyway thanks for this. I'm still waiting on petabyte HDDs
    It's not exactly that "bigger drives" are more likely to fail, but rather drives with more platters are likely to fail. So, for example, a 2TB drive that uses 4 500GB platters is more likely to fail than a 2TB drive with 2 1TB platters.

As for these 5TB drives: they will be at least 4 platters (or maybe even 5 platters using helium), thus not as reliable as the smaller drives with 1TB platters.

This is sweet news! Good to see that we are pushing these types of drives to their limits. Maybe I'll have to pick up a new HD soon, last time I bought one was when 2TB was the max!

Edit: Just realized OP was from December :D

Hope the make ones that can fit in a laptop

Raum shadowbuild extJSDB(For VIP) Copper TankGirl IguessNot KevinTrevor
    Cafe gblaze ghost6945
    Hyoksang
    pejiotoPatriotlion GPaX HunTer666 MadafakinBATMAN
    WhiteLie (For signature) MichaelJenkinsSportsFan23
    and all the other members and friends (omg too many to add to list)

are the prices also leaked?
    Special thanks to SiniuS for VIP giveaway and those who supported me!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast