this is my first post. I hope I don't look back in a few months and laugh too hard about how wet behind the ears I was. I'm hoping some nice people will be kind enough to walk me through some things.
My background in torrents is now about three to four years old. I use uTorrent to download - although I've tried several. My focus of interest is now heavy on movies - now mostly high definition blu-ray or DVD releases (not so much camera releases, but I do enjoy a good telesync). For searching I go to torrentz.com which then points me to some other site such as mininova or thepiratebay. So far this has been a pretty good method, and I've amassed over 2Tb of movies.
Before I used torrents I used Ares Galaxy (another P2P service) which was pretty easy but didn't have the availability of content. My focus was also on video clips and mp3s. Before that I used Bearshare, mostly only for mp3s. Before that I probably used the original Napster or limewire. Before that I used IRC. And before that (lol, we're talking 1997 here) I was on newsgroups.
I was always amazed at the amount of content listed on the torrentz.com search engine. It seemed like there was everything from 1930's movies to recent DVD releases. From porn to music, and everythign in between. I thought I had found the Mecca of all content suppositories. But lately I've been hearing more and more about 'private' trackers. This has brought on a whole new wave of questions. I think the problem is that things have moved faster than I have, and I need a little help getting familiar with some new stuff. Please help me understand these following questions about torrents.
1) Are miniNova and thepiratebay "public" trackers. Yes, right? What about vip.thepiratebay.com?
2) How do "private" trackers differ from public ones?
3) What do the references to "cheating" on private trackers mean? Does this mean you download but don't upload, or your ratio is less than 1.00?
4) What sort of incentive do you have for using private trackers over public ones? Are the selection of torrents better, or is the speed better, or both? Why ARE some trackers private, is there something better about them so they ask you to seed more than leech or else you lose access?
5) How difficult is it to get access to private trackers? You need an invite right?
5a) What is the 'trades' section, and why are some people against trading?
6) What is a "seed box"... is this a computer always hooked up to the internet that always seeds out content?
7) How difficult is it to maintain access to a private tracker? Do I need to constantly be uploading 24/7?
8) What happens if I become inactive for a period of time, where I am neither downloading or uploading? Will a tracker think I am not seeding and "cheating"??
9) How do I find out what are the better private trackers which host HD movies?
10) is there anyway to browse the files a private tracker has before I try to become a member of that tracker?
11) Is there some list that ranks private trackers, or tells what the 'top' trackers are in several categories, such as music, movies, etc.?
Thanks in advance for helping!